How bout this compresser

Started by Chuckca, November 20, 2006, 12:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

Sorry about my previous post.  I have generator on my mind.  

I'm starting to build my tool arsenal.  Harbor Freight (store)  has an air compresser on sale for $99.00 (reg price is $169).  Here's the specs:

Item #40400

2hp, 110v ,60 hz, 115 psi, 8 gal, 6.0 scfm @ 40 psi, 4.2 scfm @ 115 psi

Will be used to frame and finish the 20 x 30 1 1/2 model.  

Is this worth getting....or should I pass?  What specs would I be looking for?

Thanks
Chuck

glenn kangiser

Not too bad for the price.  I like a bit more but paid 3 times as much.  It will run about anything you want to run especially nailers, etc.  I run impact wrenches and needle scalers some times.

The info you want to watch for is mainly scfm at 90 psi.   Higher is more but it will run nailers fine.  This framing nailer only requires 3 to 3.5 cfm.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93909
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I have quite a few HF tools. They are fine for the occasional user and homeowner most of the time. Now if I were going to try to make a living using these tools I would want something better. For example I have HF's pipe threader setup. It didn't cost much but when I need to thread a piece of pipe, which is rarely, I have the tools. I live out in the toolies and don't have a hardware store nearer than 18 miles away. And I am always working on some project or another. If you can finish your project for $99 you are ahead of the game IMO. It will probably have some life left and be handy for other things when you finish and that is a bonus.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Amanda_931

That is my opinion on tools as well.

JRR

When selecting a small air compressor, I like to avoid the oil lubricated units.  Sure, the (heavier) oil filled iron cylinder compressors are perhaps more rugged and last longer ... but I don't want oil in my compressed air.  Not good for spray painting (which I almost never do), but also not good for inflating tires ... which I do a lot of.  Some tire blow-outs have been traced to the ignition of oil saturated compressed air used to fill the tire.

I also don't use a pneumatic nailer.  If I did, I would probably buy an oil lubricated compressor and dedicate it to that task.