Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogie01

Quote from: Cougr67 on October 25, 2013, 05:46:39 AM
Where did you get your spiral staircase from? (sorry if I missed it earlier) I have been struggling to fit a stair in the 20 wide plan without taking up too much space. Cost?
Thanks
Todd

Sorry, I missed your question about the price.  The stairs cost us about $4,000.

Cougr67

4K Ouch!  Thanks for the info!  You have great attention to detail in your place. Very impressive!

Todd

mogie01

We spent a great weekend up at the cabin, snowboarding at Crystal Mountain, decorating for Christmas and sitting in the hot tub.  Life is good  :)

decorating a tree

lots of snow

old_guy

It was a bit brisk over the weekend, even a bit further south.  2 degrees when I left for work this morning.  The snow really brings out a different beauty.  Any cabin issues from the weather?

The tree is a nice touch.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

North Sask

Hi mogie. What a great cabin. I just finished reading your thread from top to bottom. There is a lot of inspiration contained in your words and photos. I really like what you did with your rafter ties and collar ties. That stone wall is incredible. Coming home to that cabin after a day on the slopes would be amazing.

Did you design it yourself or did you purchase plans? I am working on a design that has a lot of similar elements. I noticed that you opted for a ridge board with rafter ties on half the cabin. Were you planning for the loft joists to tie together the other half of the cabin? I was considering that arrangement but I am now leaning toward using a ridge beam.
It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by my thread and left your two cents.
Great Northern Saskatchewan Adventure...Round 2

mogie01

Quote from: North Sask on December 16, 2013, 08:46:55 PM
Hi mogie. What a great cabin. I just finished reading your thread from top to bottom. There is a lot of inspiration contained in your words and photos. I really like what you did with your rafter ties and collar ties. That stone wall is incredible. Coming home to that cabin after a day on the slopes would be amazing.

Did you design it yourself or did you purchase plans? I am working on a design that has a lot of similar elements. I noticed that you opted for a ridge board with rafter ties on half the cabin. Were you planning for the loft joists to tie together the other half of the cabin? I was considering that arrangement but I am now leaning toward using a ridge beam.

Thanks North Sask, we purchased the plans from here, if you click on CP-Home from the menu above you will see the list of plans they have.  We made some changes using 3D Home Architect, that program was a great help, it even gives you a visual idea of what the home will look like.  Yes, we planned on using the loft joints as ties. 

Good luck on your build!!  Keep posting updates, we'd love to watch your progress.  w*

mogie01

Quote from: old_guy on December 16, 2013, 09:46:20 AM
It was a bit brisk over the weekend, even a bit further south.  2 degrees when I left for work this morning.  The snow really brings out a different beauty.  Any cabin issues from the weather?

The tree is a nice touch.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Weather has been so cold up north, last week it was 7 degrees.  We have no complaints at all about the temp inside the cabin.  We get a fire going in our little woodburning stove and once it gets going we can easily keep the temperature between 66 and the low 70s (my husband does have to get up in the middle of the night to add more wood but he's getting that down to a fine art and now he's figuring out the best way to keep it giong).  We leave all of the inside doors open and keep the overhead fans on to circulate the heat.

Happy New Year everyone!!   ;D

mogie01

I found this old youtube video of our build, as you can see there has been a lot done since this video but I'm adding it in here in the hopes it might help give some perspective to the size of the cabin and the rooms etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMj8VXAXcwc

mogie01

We had a great time up at the cabin with the kids.  My son and his friend helped us frame the cabin so it was neat showing them the fruits of their labor.

We've had so much snow we're running out of places to put it!  Second snowiest winter on record  :o

UperJoe

Really love your place and remember  that video from some time ago ....
What you up to in total snowfall?
It's been a dilly for sure. Ready for summer and even them stinkin' skeeters at this point will sound nice ;)

mogie01

The snow is gone and the sun was out so we finally got around to making a video of how the cabin looks now. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1yVEgc8aI

Adam Roby

Absolutely awesome cabin, I love it.  You are definitely not "roughing" it with that hot tub!  :)  Congrats.

mogie01

It's been a little while since we last posted an update.  This year so far we have stained the cabin and have started working on placing river rock on the foundation wall, we also bought some bark to clean up around the cabin. This weekend we are going up to grout.

pocono_couple

looks great.. hope you are enjoying some leisure time there as well as work - it looks like a very restful setting..  jt

mogie01

We got all of the grouting done and we're really happy with how it turned out.  We are now starting to clean up the yard a bit, we spread some wood chips and then worked on our fire pit, next week we should be able to sit and enjoy it :)

spreading wood chips

more landscaping

fire pit

dablack

The river rock looks awesome!  I'm currently looking for iron ore rock (native to east texas) for post columns as well. 

Rys

I've been reading all the different threads about the 20X30 cabins and have fallen in love with yours! Can't wait to make my dream a reality. Thank you so much for sharing your progress!

rickeyleee

Do you have a link to view your pictures on this build.  I can't see any of them......all show errors.
Thanks

MountainDon

Quote from: rickeyleee on August 01, 2017, 06:47:28 PM
Do you have a link to view your pictures on this build.  I can't see any of them......all show errors.
Thanks

The missing images are due to photobucket's change of their rules regarding what we can do with images stored on PB's servers. It is sad, but they wreaked havoc all over the interent with that change.

OP has not been online here for over 6 months, so updates to the image links may not happen. A work around is to right click on the PB notice image and thren select to open image in a new tab/window. That usually opens the PB page with the missing image.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mogie01

I had now idea photobucket did this.  Yeesh.  I went on their website and I'm even finding it really difficult to download my libraries, I keep getting an error message.  I'll have to download each picture separately.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best website to store the pics?

azgreg

Quote from: mogie01 on August 04, 2017, 02:16:35 PM
I had now idea photobucket did this.  Yeesh.  I went on their website and I'm even finding it really difficult to download my libraries, I keep getting an error message.  I'll have to download each picture separately.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best website to store the pics?

Currently I'm using https://postimages.org/