Tuff Shed from Home Depot as home?

Started by subigo, August 17, 2005, 10:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subigo

Hey all,

I am having trouble finding any information (even on the tuff shed website) about these cabins they make. You may have seen them at Home Depot? I went in one today and found it to be built fairly well...

It was a 16x24 (768sf) cabin with an upstairs loft, unfinished for $15000. For that price they come to your land and build it for you...

Does anyone have ANY information on these what so ever? I could definitely live in something that cheap... put another $15,000 into it and you could have something really nice.

It was called the "Barn Deluxe 2-story" TUFF SHED, The Sundance Series.

spinnm

Know Tuff Shed.  Haven't seen that one.  Probably regional differences.

Even tho I haven't seen it, am willing to make a guess.  If they can come to your site, build it and make a profit for 15k, you can DIY for <10k...maybe less.  Depends upon how right they can buy lumber.

You could use the same materials and still create a better product.  They're not too caring about how they put the stuff together.  They ARE franchises...so I guess it's possible that the MO guys are better than the NM guys.

jonseyhay

Here is a link to folk who used a shed as the starting point for their home. It's down this end but you get the idea.
jonesy.
http://www.illowapark.com/

Jimmy_Cason

On my drive to the cottage I'm building, someone has built a very nice house from one of those home depot kits.
I will take a few pictures of it this weekend and post them in this thread.

If my wife and I had not found this group, the home depot barn house is what we would have built.
 I estimated I could build it for a little over half of the price they wanted to build it for us. ;D

Okie_Bob

I found the Tuff Shed plant quite by accident and stopped in for a visit. It is located in S Dallas, TX just south of I-20 and I-45 intersection. The HD store in Corsicana, TX also has one on display in their parking lot.
I was very interested in this as it appeared to be quite a deal. Upon further examination, it is NOT.
What they show for pricing is very misleading. You don't get anywhere near what you see for the price shown. Everything is extra and optional.
I do like the design and plan to build basically the same floor plan with some changes. My retired brother-in-law is working on them now and I'll share them with everyone when complete.
I guarantee you can build this plan yourself and save a ton over the HD or Tuff Shed prices!
I guess my point is to be very careful if you want to buy this house and get all the details about it before you sign up to have it built.
It ain't what it appears to be!!
Okie Bob

Jochen

I personally wouldn't go with one of these manufactures. The price seems very high for me compared to what I have invested in my 20 x 24 cottage.

So far I have paid around $16.500 Canadian and that includes all windows and professional help for the roof and the chimney installation.

And although I haven't worked on the interior of my cottage yet I'm already adding a 1 1/2 story 24 x 24 workshop.

And I want to thanks once more John and all forum members for all the kind help and informations which they were sharing with me!!!

Jochen

glenn-k

Thanks for sharing your pictures and information with us, Jochen.  Great looking project. ;D

peg_688

Jochen   Great looking job , nice clean site :) :). Keep up the good work :) , rewards of finish work , details await  :)  :)  Going to be a nice shop  :)

Will you beat the weather ?  How far north in Canada are ya ?  Good luck , HTBH  ;)PEG