How fast can I get done

Started by disabledcabin, June 07, 2009, 10:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disabledcabin

Hi

I am 28 years old.  I want  an cabin and move out of my appt so bad. I am disabled.  I need to draw up my plan
and buy the land. The cabin will be disabled made, so the planning will take longer. How fast can I move
aftter this?

MountainDon

w* disabledcabin.

Once the plan is finalized how will the construction be performed? Yourself and friends, a work crew?  Will it be worked on full time?  Lots of variables.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

The land purchase should come first. You can start planning the house once you know what the property characteristics are. You will want to know how you will get into the house and what kinds of spaces and fixtures you will need. Then you can start to visualize the plan and building project. Depending on your needs you may want to design it with ADA guidelines.

A slab on grade house on a relatively flat site will make going in and out of doors easier but ramps can make just about any type of house work too.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

disabledcabin

This will go  to be full time beside my work. I am looking at getting land in my area. I will most like have an friend
help me. I can't wailt too long to built. I want out of my place as soon as I can.

This will be my home for life. Its will be ADA made.

SardonicSmile

Quote from: disabledcabin on June 08, 2009, 10:13:50 AM
This will go  to be full time beside my work. I am looking at getting land in my area. I will most like have an friend
help me. I can't wailt too long to built. I want out of my place as soon as I can.

This will be my home for life. Its will be ADA made.

You are looking at 2 or 3 months before you can even start to build.. and that's if you don't waste any time at all. You have to get countless permits and lots other small (but time-consuming) things that you have to do before you can build. Power, septic, water, electricity, loan, driveway, clearing, and all your permits -  and I can't even think of everything right now.

As for the actual building, I couldnt tell you because I havent begun building yet. It took me 6 months to get this far, but I took my time.

rwanders

??? There are so many variables it's hard to guess without at least some basic plans ready---i.e.  How big? Stick built or log? Permits required? Availability of certain contractors? Public water & sewer or well & septic? Weather (building in summer or winter depending on your location)?  And many other factors also.  I would figure on a minimum of three months if you will have full time crews working (at least 40 hours a week) for even a small cabin if you will include full utilities and hooking up to the grid. If you want a contractor to move as fast as possible, be prepared to pay some premium prices to stay at the "front of his line".
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Ndrmyr

One thing is for certain, it will take longer than you think. Perhaps 2 to 3 times as long. Obstacles or decisions that a professional builder or tradesman deals with daily will slow you to a crawl. You will make mistakes and do things twice, or..thrice. You will make a special trip to the lumber yard for a single board, or screw or nail. When you only build on the weekends, the weather is a much bigger factor. Two days of bad weather can reduce a months results by 25%. These are the facts. Your friends, family and helpers will have scheduling conflicts that mean they don't or can't show up.
Learning to deal with these will help your project to move forward. For many amateurs, the biggest obstacle is money, if you run out of funds, you may simply have to wait until  you accumulate more funds. Lenders are not likely to loan on a DIY project.
Despite these, keep the faith and your goal in sight. Good Luck.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

Dave Sparks

The money "thing" can be the key for many! One strategy if time is more important and you do have some help, is to get a  local contractor to build you a shell. A shell is a semi finished exterior that is lockable. You then can do the electrical, do he drywall (or sub it) and install the finish plumbing/electrical, fixtures and major appliances. You can paint the exterior over time and if it is a fiberous/cement it can be prefinished, you just do trim.

This can save between 1/3 to 1/2 the cost and be done in a year if this is a reasonable size structure.
Good Luck
"we go where the power lines don't"

miman

well so far it has taken 2 full years for me. i have to shut down in nov and reopen in april. so this summer will be my third year. draw up you plans i would like to see them. i built and designed my cottage with my disabled daughter in mind.

adam

Hey nice to meet you man I'm also new!

IMO, finding the land alone takes time if you want the perfect property. I've taken roughly 4 months so far to find a nice property that I actually liked and I'm still talking it over with the wife atm. You may find the perfect land in a week but I'm young as well, and I'm starting to learn that when I rush things I want, it usually isn't nearly as good as it seems after I get it, and two months later a smokin deal comes along and I'm already stuck with what I got first... So yea, anyway I've drove miles and miles, sometimes up to 3 hours away just to look at land, ride an ATV around the property only to be sadly disappointed and go home. I'm just glad my wife stands beside me and my wacky ideas :)

considerations

It took me 1-1/2 years of looking almost every weekend to find this place, but by that time, I immediately recognized that it was the right place and had the deal done in 8 days.    Sometimes it just takes a while.

I started the cabin in May 2008.  This is Jan 2010, and I'd say its about 5/8 done, but I'm in it anyway, and just keep working on it.  The downstairs looks like a construction site, because it is, and the loft is where most of the "living" occurs. 

I have no idea when I'll finish, but I make some progress every day, so I'll get there.  I'm not the first person to move into an unfinished place.

MountainDon

I believe we were very lucky in many ways. I spent time, too much time, in the hospital in the spring and summer of 2006. During my second stay Karen decided to start the search for mountain property and found several listings. When I was well enough we looked at them over a few weeks. We were immediately entranced with the parcel we ended up buying. Even though at the time I had a heck of a time walking up the steep slope I was confident, or foolhardy enough, to believe I'd be able to do it and build. It was no more than a couple months from the time she initiated the search to our first offer. It dragged on for months as the county and surveyor sorted out some details with the seller. Then we took our sweet time in cleaning up debris and thinking about where things should go. It took less than a year to get the cabin pretty much done, with winter off part way through. But again we were very lucky as we each had 2 1/2 months of summer off work to throw ourselves into the building. That made a huge difference.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.