Small Kitchen

Started by ki4hpz, May 06, 2006, 07:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ki4hpz

Who has designed a small kitchen? Regular appliances and double sink.

Amanda_931

I didn't design mine, but travel trailers may do a pretty good job--allowing for the fact that the refrigerator has to be dual-fuel.  Mine's the footprint of a 9 cubic footer that I used to have, separate doors for refrigerator and freezer.  Double sink, 20-22 inch stove, vent fan and light, microwave over that, base cabinet, couple of drawers, above-sink cabinets.  Kitchen window.  All in less than seven feet.

They do have a noxious habit of providing six inches of counter space.  ;)  I keep a cutting board over one of the sinks.

PEG688

QuoteWho has designed a small kitchen? Regular appliances and double sink.

[size=12]

I have  :)  I wouldn't  limit your self to "regular " appl. I'd use readly avaivable , cost effective ones like , dishwasher in a draw , under counter ref, Micro/ hood combo units , etc.

A neat freak idea would be to use the dishwasher to also store the dishs , silver wear etc. It all is about what you the end user can put up/ deal with .  

A one off design could serve you well but someone else would / could hate it .

Examples of space saving appl.

Danby Dishwasher DDW 396 $225.99

The MicroFridge (model# MF-3TP) comes in black and stainless steel for just $374 if you order by Sept 1st - a $25 savings. After that, the price goes back to $399. www.microfridge.com.

Briva In-Sink Dishwasher by Kitchenaid
Perfect for those low on kitchen space, the Kitchenaid Briva In-Sink Dishwasher is located right at counter level (no more bending over to stack and unload!). The Briva holds five place settings and, with racks removed, can be used as a double sink! Yet it fits into a cabinet as small as 42 inches wide. It has four cleaning cycles and includes a cutting board to save even more counter space. The shortest wash cycle will completely clean your finest china in as little as 18 minutes. It starts with the single touch of a button (located on the integrated control panel) and operates very quietly due to its "Whisper Quiet Sound Insulation System". $1,799; www.kitchenaid.com

It's about space in a small house dual use and space savings stretch the space , think out side the box  ;)

All found at:  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kitchen+space+saving+appliances+&btnG=Google+Search

Good luck , PEG

[/size]

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

water8

Any one use the fridge in a drawer?  I hate the counter space the fridge takes up, and would rather have all dishes/food in upper cabinets anyway.  Top drawer refridges, bottom drawer can be a fridge or a freezer.

ki4hpz

Is 5' by 7' to small for a decent kitchen?

ki4hpz

That small stuff cost to much...lol   Thanks for the info...

peg_688

QuoteThat small stuff cost to much......

[size=12]

$230.00 for a D/W and $400.00 for a refer/ micro/ freezer is to much  ::) ::)

Jee where do you shop ??  Salvation Army???

Even the sink / D/W  unit isn't  that bad for a nice DBL basin S/S sink with a D/W to boot :o  

You must shop with Glenn, he gets most stuff for free ::)

[/size]  

water8

Floor models...I have a storage space full of them, just waiting for my new house - cabinets, sinks, even furniture. ;)

bartholomew

If you want a fridge, stove and double sink, it will be a tight squeeze but doable if you go with slightly smaller than standard sizes. With an L-shaped arrangement, you're left with about 3' by 5' of standing area. The 5' length is a bit too short to accomodate both a standard double sink in a 36" cabinet plus either fridge or stove, both 30". But you could go with a sink that has one regular and one small bowl, or a more compact 24" stove. Whether that makes for a "decent" kitchen is up to you.

ki4hpz

Thank you. What size would let me get standard stuff in? Do you have a 3DHD of a small kitchen with standard stuff. I was thinking about a bar coming off the L-shape. Maybe a second small sink at the end of the bar so you could wash their hands without going inside the U.  Maybe a microwave on the other end of the small bar sink accessible from inside the U and outside. To get more function out of a small area. This would allow someone to work in the kitchen while others use the microwave and small sink....ty

trish2(Guest)

Depends what you mean by the term 'decent kitchen".  If your kitchen sink is under a window, you can expand your counter space by putting in a small bay or green house window above the sink then expand your counter space into the window.  If your sink is in an island, make your counter depth 36 inches instead of the usual 24.  With some creative tricks you could probably make your kitchen workable in that small footprint.

ailsaek

And then ask yourself - could you actually live with this kitchen?  The ones you're describing would make me homicidal in fifteen minutes flat, maybe quicker.  Kill the living room, put a comfy chair or padded bult-in bench in the kitchen, move the TV in there, and give yourself a decent amount of room to work!

Amanda_931

I don't cook much.  ;D

And sometimes it does have to do with that six inches of counter space.   Down here I'm a little more notorious for not cooking than I was in Nashville--but that grilled eggplant was awfully good the other week.

Except for the sink, my appliances are special--fridge will run on propane or 120v, there's lots of stuff hiding under the stove, so it's 3-burner (not particularly wimpy burners, thank you) with a mini-oven/broiler.  But standard jobs would fit.

but the dinette is right opposite the kitchen, so I can sit down!  In fact it's where I'm sitting right now.

Storage space is what I'm looking for next time.  so I can actually use the blender or food processor (put it away or leave it on its space on the counter), hang up the pots and pans, not have dishes compete for space with food.   Places to hide the dog and cat food so, say, the cat food storage bucket is not sitting on top of my printer--and the next one doesn't have dog tooth marks on the lid from where maybe both of the inside dogs tried to open it.

Oh, yes, and a place that is dog-proof but handy to put things like olive oil or pasta.

bartholomew

You should probably just get some graph paper and start sketching out some layouts. Base cabinets are 24" deep. A standard stove is 30" wide but compact 24" models are available. Fridges vary in width but 30"  wide is typical for a medium-sized freezer on top model. You probably need a bare minimum of 42" between the cabinets on one side and the cabinets or wall opposite, but 48" would be better. So for a U-shaped layout, you'd need 7'6" to 8'.

ki4hpz

I have been playing with 3D Home Architect. Been working on the kitchen tutorial. I will try to put something up next week to be torn apart...lol

I can not see buiding a kitchen without standard stuff in it.  Just my opinion. I rather have a bedroom suite or something...

Amanda_931

A couple of friends came over once when I lived in Nashville.  And we made pasta from scratch.  All of us working on it.  Sauce wasn't much--chicken sauteed in olive oil and garlic, pasta cooked with broccoli, IIRC, but it sure was fun.  And it was a lot more fun doing it in the kitchen than trotting back and forth from the dining room each time we needed to add salt or put a sliced chicken breast in the pan.

Even if it's only you living there, a kitchen that can hold more than one is nice.  If you enjoy cooking in company.  

What you particularly wouldn't want to hear would be my mother's feelings on bedroom suites.  She was not polite.   :o

Mind you I have friends today who feel quite differently.

glenn-k

I must get your recipe, Amanda.  I have two bags of scratch I was going to feed to the chickens, but if I can make pasta from it.... :-/

Amanda_931

Thank you, Glenn.  

(If it's corn you soak it in hydrated lime for a while, then pollute the river by rinsing it until the water runs clear--smells just like hominy or tortillas--gee, I wonder why, then you grind it, make it into tortillas, cook slightly on your camal or griddle, then cut into strips and drop briefly in boiling water)