Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: AdironDoc on May 22, 2012, 01:55:31 PM
Nice link, thanks!  :)

No problem :)  I'm running wire the 300+ feet to the cistern for this using the old 1" pipe they installed as a main line and then dropping in some 2" pipe for the main coming from the cistern.

The float switch basically operates as a normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC) switch (just like all my alarms in the Telco world) so the distance doesn't matter much (at all really).  I'm also installing a switch in the wiring so I can interrupt the float switch to turn off the pump if I want it off for repairs etc or I know there won't be a need for it to be on.  That way I can always also disconnect float and force the pump on if for some reason I want to -- all by the use of a switch.

Anyway, I came across this in my quest to solve my dying battery problem -- I'd killed a set of gel cells pretty much and a set of RV batteries are ok but were drained to zilch TWICE with my 60 watt solar setup....and with this setup cold doesn't matter either.

The nice thing is that I know I can water my trees with 5 gallons each every day (25 gals total) and the cistern won't get emptied.

In the future I plan on having more trees as well as gardens etc and will likely add a larger cistern but for now I'm confident this will work.

OlJarhead

I should clarify my comment on watering ;)

I meant that I water 5 gals per day right now but only need to provide 5 gals per week once the trees are well established.  I may be giving them a little much now though and will check the soil when I get up there to see if it seems saturated -- if so I'll cut back to twice a week and see how they do.

Next year it ought to be fine to give them 5 gals per week (which is what I budget my water on).

OlJarhead

Well my wife convinced me that I needed more time and coats of varathane on the stairs (not to mention some sanding and stain too) and that this cabin trip isn't about the stairs -- darn it woman! -- and of course, she's right.  So I'm leaving them at home to be delivered at a later date once I've had time to get intimate with the 400 grit sandpaper, some varathane and pine......

But I have to admit, it's good to be sanding and coating again :)  There is just something about working a piece of wood until it has that deep 'I love this piece of wood' look to it, er I mean SHINE!

:)

And I'll go back to thinking about fixing water problems, fencing an orchard and working on gray water drain systems ;) -- and of course adding more coats of varathane to the stairs and window trim ;)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 23, 2012, 10:56:03 PM
Well my wife convinced me that I needed more time and coats of varathane on the stairs (not to mention some sanding and stain too) and that this cabin trip isn't about the stairs -- darn it woman! -- and of course, she's right.  So I'm leaving them at home to be delivered at a later date once I've had time to get intimate with the 400 grit sandpaper, some varathane and pine......

But I have to admit, it's good to be sanding and coating again :)  There is just something about working a piece of wood until it has that deep 'I love this piece of wood' look to it, er I mean SHINE!

:)

And I'll go back to thinking about fixing water problems, fencing an orchard and working on gray water drain systems ;) -- and of course adding more coats of varathane to the stairs and window trim ;)

OJ that a little heavy on the grit if you are sanding between coats.  I use 220 or 000 steel wool after two coats.  Then I grab the alcohol ( not the sippin kind  ;) ) but rubbing kind to wipe off the dust and grit. Just takes a few seconds to evaporate.  Then follow-up with a finished coat.  I used Mimwax poly on my stairs (basement) but haven't been really satisfied.  After about 3 coats it doesn't seem to be holding up like it should.  But that set gets more dirt tracked than the one to the loft so maybe it is more traffic than the finish is designed to take.

OlJarhead

400 heavy?  *chuckle* do you mean to say 'light'?  I have all the way to 800 grit which is almost like using a soft towel but rarely use that unless I want a real shiny finish!

I have 220 also but decided to go even lighter to just knock the edge off between coats.

Also I'm trying a new type of minwax varathane -- the wipe on kind -- which seems to go on a lot thinner then I'd like.  I'm testing it though because it's want I want to use on the walls because of the ease of application and that it won't run going on this light.

Will switch to a brush on varathane though to get a much thicker coat so it lasts longer.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 24, 2012, 09:11:30 AM
400 heavy?  *chuckle* do you mean to say 'light'?  I have all the way to 800 grit which is almost like using a soft towel but rarely use that unless I want a real shiny finish!

I have 220 also but decided to go even lighter to just knock the edge off between coats.

Also I'm trying a new type of minwax varathane -- the wipe on kind -- which seems to go on a lot thinner then I'd like.  I'm testing it though because it's want I want to use on the walls because of the ease of application and that it won't run going on this light.

Will switch to a brush on varathane though to get a much thicker coat so it lasts longer.

Too early in the AM for me on the East Coast.   I looked at it an swore it lacked a "0" d*.  I thought to my self why in the world would he ever use 40 grit.  Oh Well .  Think I will go to bed again.  ;)  Good thing I am not taken seriously.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 24, 2012, 10:00:08 AM
Too early in the AM for me on the East Coast.   I looked at it an swore it lacked a "0" d*.  I thought to my self why in the world would he ever use 40 grit.  Oh Well .  Think I will go to bed again.  ;)  Good thing I am not taken seriously.

LOL I kept looking at it to make sure I didn't do that and was thinking "well, he's a better carpenter then I am so maybe I'm missing something!" lol  d*

Glad you woke up!!!  You might have had me scratching my head all day! :P  ???

OlJarhead

I asked my wife what we should do for window trim.  It's something I've been fighting with for a while and I wanted something that might fit better with a 1900's cabin (that's sort of the theme here).  She came up with this idea:  slot the boards so they cross each other, keep them a little rough and use the old blue stained wood with lots of holes and saw tooth marks.

She's a genius!

I made a set (seen closer here for the tooth marks) to take up to the cabin this weekend to try out.  I love the idea and think that if I ever get the siding done (board and batten) and the interior finished that this is the sort of thing that ought to add a LOT of character as well as make cabin guests feel like they're staying in a hundred year old cabin :)

AdironDoc

Hey Jarhead, are you making good use of your weekend? I suspect your up at the camp. Anyway, since you're good at getting wood to look rough, I'm wondering if you have any ideas for me. I'm ok at "beating up" the boards, making fake cracks, wormholes and the like. What I'm wondering is how to reproduce the sawmarks on the middle board on this table. I'm trying to make one of my own. I don't have a lousy blade but thought I could use a very rough grit on my sander for something similar. I figure the rough grains always grab more stain and will show up nicely. Secondly, I suspect the middle of the table was stained in light stain and the outer edges rubbed with a darker stain?

Best,
Doc

OlJarhead

Wish I could help!  However all mine are actually real.

I use a Woodmizer LT10 to mill the lumber so the saw marks are actually from the bandsaw blade.  Otherwise they are from a chain saw mill that I have also.  And the blue stain and termite holes all are natural in the windfalls I milled up.

OlJarhead

What a weekend!  We arrived Friday afternoon (late) and quickly began to settle in.  We had lots to do and wanted to get right to it however Friday wouldn't really be the day for that because it was mostly over.  So, once we were moved in I brought our new 7 gallon water jug to the spigot and proceeded to fill it.  The water was shooting out of the spigot like a cannon!  WOW!  I was surprised by the flow rate and the spray, clearly things were much better since my last effort to fix the problem and the air was sucked out!

I think it took all of 2 or 3 minutes to fill the jug and the flow never noticeably slowed.  I was then able to get 5 gallons for the bathroom (flush water) also.  Can't say how exiting that was!

Next I checked the trees and all but one appeared to be doing quite well though clearly the cold had 'burned' (?) some of the leaves on two of the trees, one of which appeared to be in serious trouble...also, I noticed that they were growing much slower then the crab down at our home (2600 feet lower in altitude).

Another of our trees, the crimson beauty, was planted a little crooked (actually it was planted straight up and down but when packing it in it tilted a bit) and was far worse since the hardware cloth wrap had fallen over (3rd time I learned).  I pulled the wrap and decided to let the tree grow as is.  Hopefully when it goes dormant I can dig it up and straighten it out?

Another was going like crazy!  It was the biggest tree and doing very well.

Saturday morning arrived and I noticed that the two slowest growing trees were in the shade at least two hours longer then the rest.  I sharpened my saw and immediately planned to cut down the offending trees!    However I had a well to improve still.

My neighbor arrived to help with the well solar and we set right away to removing the old 60 watt panels and replacing them with the 190watt panel we'd bought from Sunelec.

It turned out that we didn't need to do anything other then drill 8 new holes in the rack and mount the panel! 

I then connected the new controller and threw a switch in between it and the pump and when the panel was in full sun I just had to hit the switch and it would start right up :)

Can't wait to install the float valve!

With the well done I went back to the orchard and proceeded to cut down the trees that were keeping two of my apples in the shade and then bucked them up into firewood (except two big pine logs I left for the mill).  My wife hauled all the rounds off to the wood shed and moved the slash into piles and by the end of the day we'd managed to buck up close to a cord of wood!  I then chopped that and she stacked in the shed. 

We were smoked by the end of the day!  But it felt good.

Sunday morning the trees were no longer in the shade and after attempting to check water pressure (the gauge didn't work) I watered each tree.  Pressure was way down at the end of the 200 feet of hose but I was getting about 1.4 gallons of water per minute (tested in a 5 gallon bucket) so I watered each tree with one getting a bit more since it looked pretty dry around it.

Later in the day we began building the fence around the orchard.  It took a bit but eventually my wife and I got the system down :)

We finished the first two sections that night and planned to complete the rest in the morning.

OlJarhead

We also did a little interior work this weekend.  First, we added the window trim I'd made.  While it looked awesome it didn't fit -- I'd really buggered up my guess on what I needed  d* but we love the trim and left it in place knowing now that the best course is to do everything but cut the slots which need to be done to fit each window on site.  My wife added the 'sconces' and the interior continues to look more and more finished :)

My wife also worked on the bathroom which is nearly ready to paint!

Given a little sanding and touch up mud and the bathroom will be ready for primer and paint and then the tub...we can't wait!

Finally we tackled the fencing.  I set the last posts and corners and first strand while my wife was sanding drywall mud and then she came out and helped me set the last 3 strands.

Complete with a simple wire gate.

We hope it will keep the cows out of the orchard but need the wire separators between posts which we didn't have this trip....next I guess.

All in all is was an awesome weekend and we didn't want to come home!

OlJarhead

SCH40 PVC pipe is .66 per foot in Tonasket vs. .61 cents per foot in Hermiston (where it's made) -- but the cost savings in not having to pull a trailer full of 20' pipe is a savings overall!

AWESOME!

JavaMan

Sounds good! ... I bet your getting stoked to get it in the ground!

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on May 29, 2012, 04:09:56 PM
Sounds good! ... I bet your getting stoked to get it in the ground!

I am!

I need to get you and Tom on the phone too!  He works some crazy hours though so probably just have to send you his email address.  Then you guys can work out contact details and plans etc.

OlJarhead

Actually Java I'm so darn stoked I could just leave RIGHT NOW to go do it! hahahahaa

Once we're done I should have the float valve in place and working also and can hook up the garden timer and let it water the trees for me :)  No more worries then!

And let's not forget the whole:  "have water will shower" aspect of completing this part of the build!!!!

I CANNOT WAIT!

JavaMan

Oh, I can certainly empathize with you about the "Have water, will shower" part... not having any water up at my place.  I've been researching many, MANY ways to harvest water, dig for water, drill my own well, etc... so we'll see.  Eventually it might happen. ???

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on May 29, 2012, 05:09:25 PM
Oh, I can certainly empathize with you about the "Have water, will shower" part... not having any water up at my place.  I've been researching many, MANY ways to harvest water, dig for water, drill my own well, etc... so we'll see.  Eventually it might happen. ???

Need someone to witch some water for you probably, but in the meanwhile rain water harvesting is an option and frankly, with the right system you could get 500-1000 gallons stored in no time.  Just need a cistern installed underground and a rain water harvesting system on the roof of your cabin.  Then perhaps a Berkey water filter for drinking and cooking water to be extra safe (though I doubt it would be needed) and a way to pump the water from the cistern to the cabin....and you're set.

alex trent

You will get about 200 gallons for every inch of rain from your roof.

Systems to collect are pretty inexpensive.  There are first flush systems (about $200) that automatically divert the first part of every rain event, so your roof gets cleaned before water goes in the tank.

http://www.rainharvest.com/

I realize you have temperature concerns...but with a buried cistern, i think you only have those 4 months at most...more likely 3.

AdironDoc

The place looks great! In addition, I'm glad to see your water setup working as I'm using nearly the same components, right down to my sunelec panel. I also like the nice window treatments your wife (you?) chose. I'm enlisting the help of those around me with a better eye for that to add some color to the windows. Can't wait until the next trip up!

OlJarhead

Quote from: AdironDoc on May 29, 2012, 11:35:26 PM
The place looks great! In addition, I'm glad to see your water setup working as I'm using nearly the same components, right down to my sunelec panel. I also like the nice window treatments your wife (you?) chose. I'm enlisting the help of those around me with a better eye for that to add some color to the windows. Can't wait until the next trip up!

Thanks :)  And yes the water system is working nicely!  I'm pretty happy with it and can't wait to add the float valve and just let it go!  Not to mention increase the pipe size from 1" to 2" -- that ought to give me enough water flow for everything we want there.

And thanks on the window treatments.  That was all my wife :)  I just do the work, she does the design/planning for stuff like that.

Cheers
Erik

OlJarhead

Quote from: alextrent on May 29, 2012, 10:23:14 PM
You will get about 200 gallons for every inch of rain from your roof.

Systems to collect are pretty inexpensive.  There are first flush systems (about $200) that automatically divert the first part of every rain event, so your roof gets cleaned before water goes in the tank.

http://www.rainharvest.com/

I realize you have temperature concerns...but with a buried cistern, i think you only have those 4 months at most...more likely 3.

Found this: http://thegoodhuman.com/2008/08/25/just-how-much-rainwater-can-you-collect-off-your-roof/

Using their calculation I figure I can get over 300 gallons of rainwater for inch on my roof!  With an average of 14 inches a year (roughly) then I ought to be able to produce 4620 gallons of water in a year.

I currently have two 55 gallon barrels that I haven't installed but frankly I REALLY like the idea of an underground cistern.  For one, it won't freeze -- if it's down below the frost line like my current one you will have water year round regardless of the temperature -- and for two it takes no effort once set up.

alex trent

Yeah, I round down a lot in my calculations so as not to be too optimistic when talking about this.  It really is pretty simple and the water is really pure...unless you live next to some smokestack plant.

You get only 14 inches of rain a year?  Where are you?

You can also build a collector very inexpensively if you need more water...I have one posted easy on on my build site....and this is even a bit overbuilt because I have the tank above ground and wanted to put them underneath.

I watch my consumption is the dry season and amazing how much you can save being just a bit careful.

OlJarhead

Quote from: alextrent on May 30, 2012, 09:00:57 AM
Yeah, I round down a lot in my calculations so as not to be too optimistic when talking about this.  It really is pretty simple and the water is really pure...unless you live next to some smokestack plant.

You get only 14 inches of rain a year?  Where are you?

You can also build a collector very inexpensively if you need more water...I have one posted easy on on my build site....and this is even a bit overbuilt because I have the tank above ground and wanted to put them underneath.

I watch my consumption is the dry season and amazing how much you can save being just a bit careful.

What's your site address?

We're in WA State on the east side ;)  Over here it's desert where we live (7 inches of rain a year) but the cabin is in the mountains and forests of Northern WA State where it can get 14-15 inches a year.

JavaMan

Quote from: AdironDoc on May 29, 2012, 11:35:26 PM

Well, I think that might be a bit dependent on the size of the building/roof.  On mine it's only a 12 X 12, and I haven't done the calculations in a bit, but even if it was 200 gal, that would mean in the average year, I might get about 600 gallons from rain ... (It might be more, but it doesn't rain a lot up there) ... now if I could harvest the run off from the snow melt ... I'd be rich with water!  Of course, I'd have to have a place to store it all  d*

I probably am exaggerating a bit (on the low side), but it doesn't rain much up there.  I'm on the "other side" of the desert valley from OJH on the eastern slopes of the Cascades just as it turns from high desert to mountains/woods.

But this last winter, the ski bowl about 5 miles from me reported over 60" of snow!  :D