Our 20 x 40 1-1/2 story finally begins!

Started by TarMetto, January 13, 2017, 10:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarMetto

About a year behind schedule, but very excited to have begun!
Our location is in the foothills of South Carolina, on a small 184 acre lake.
We have an RV set up, under cover, with an attached 12 x 20 tiny cabin with a full bath, laundry, and bedroom....so we have been able to enjoy
week-long stays at the property for the last year and a half. Time spent building docks and such, and delays that slowed down the lot clearing for the cabin
had put us behind schedule.
We broke ground on 01-11-17 and the foundation should be complete by 01-18, thanks to an excellent contractor.
We plan to do as much of the rest of the building ourselves, but are leaving the option of hiring a framer open.
To say that we are excited is a huge understatement....been looking forward to this for a long time!

ChugiakTinkerer

Congratulations on breaking ground!  Looking forward to seeing more as things progress.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Mike 870

Congrats, looking forward to seeimg it progress.

CabinNick

Exciting.  Do you have a floor plan you can share with us?

TarMetto

We have plans that we purchased, but the floor plan won't be exactly as drawn.
We'll have one bedroom at the back of the main floor, and the kitchen at the front, so the wife will have a lake view from the sink and a
pass-thru window to the front deck (outdoor kitchen).
We'll have a full loft. Loft front will be split into two rooms...my ham shack and the wife's craft room...both with lake view. Back of the loft we plan to leave
open. We may figure out some way to make the rear of the loft a little more private, for temporary bedroom use. Haven't figured that out yet.

CabinNick

Sounds great.  Look forward to following your build. 

TarMetto

Block has been laid. Perimeter and piers at the same elevation. I met with the inspector to approve 2x10 joists, dbl 2x10 (x 40') beams atop the piers, and run the joists the 20' way in 3 sections...face tied to the beams with joist hangers. I'm also running a full length sill plate atop the piers, spanning the gaps, screwed to the bottom of the beams/girder. Can't be used as an actual ledger, but gives me piece of mind. 2x10 is overkill...but I like overkill.
Got all of the sill plates down and most of the rim joists before getting rained out.

Bearmech

NathanS

Nice looking foundation. That floor is going to feel rock solid.

TarMetto

Got about half the joists in last weekend. Hope to install the rest and get the subfloor down this weekend.

TarMetto

Oh.....The wife put two coats of paint on the block...she's a keeper...this was on our 22nd wedding anniversary.  (Yes...I took her out for a nice dinner afterwards)

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

TarMetto

TarMetto

02/15/17

Gang notching the 2 x 6's.  Found out real quick that a 4" grinder takes a LOT of the work out of this process!

Don_P

... You found the secret weapon  ;D
Coloring a little outside of the lines, it works even better with one of the stiff flat sanding wheels and a road tar grit disc. That is one way I clean up tenons as well.

ChugiakTinkerer

I take it that is that for balloon framing a loft?  Very useful tip, thanks!

TarMetto

GaryT

Nice work!  Wondering if you're going to put anything over your dirt floor?
Gary

TarMetto

Quote from: GaryT on February 16, 2017, 10:26:37 AM
Nice work!  Wondering if you're going to put anything over your dirt floor?
Gary

Yes! I actually intended to install a full liner "before" installing the joists...but time and logistics didn't allow it.
The liner manufacturer is actually within 45 minutes of our location.

TarMetto

Had a bit of help this weekend...got a LOT done! The wife and I raised the first 12' x 12' wall section ourselves...and it was a bear! We were glad to have my older brother show up to help the next day!
Also had the inspector out to have at look at the progress...since I've never built a house before. He didn't find anything wrong...just stuff that was way over built (which is my nature).
I made one major mistake. When marking the studs for the ledger notches....I went to the wrong side of my first mark. So...we'll now have 8'-5.5" ceiling height....LOL! No worries since we went with 12' tall walls we still have lots of loft room. That's what I get for trying to pre-cut stuff at my metal fab shop when I shouldn't try to split my mental time between business and cabin build.

Rys

Wow! You guys are really making great progress!   [cool]

ChugiakTinkerer

Your exceedingly tall visitors will appreciate the head room, I am sure.   :)

icanreachit

Nice header framing on the door! Did you do this for better insulation? I remember seeing it in a book on balloon framing and can't remember if it was to reduce how much wood you use or for better insulation. Cheers

TarMetto

Quote from: icanreachit on February 21, 2017, 07:32:12 PM
Nice header framing on the door! Did you do this for better insulation? I remember seeing it in a book on balloon framing and can't remember if it was to reduce how much wood you use or for better insulation. Cheers

Not really, just didn't finish it due to lack of lumber.

Rys

Thought for sure you were posting more pictures when I saw you'd been on here.    :(