There are no dumb questions

Started by saxfordalaska, September 19, 2005, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxfordalaska

After ten years of remodeling in the Fairbanks, Alaska area, where owner buiding is a way of life, I want  to reassure novice builders that the time to ask is before/while you build.  It's really expensive and time consuming to fix houses after they're finished. John Rabbe's designs are excellent use of space and materials.  I

Daddymem

Goooo Nooks!  
Sorry, one of my alma maters.  :P

Lady_Novice

Indeed I agree about the importance of being sure about what you're planning before you build it. I've spent untold hours reading books and surfing the Internet to narrow down my choices, to make sure my plans and design will work, and to learn how to do stuff. Friends and family probably just think I'm being really slow in completing the project, but I feel this research is necessary to avoid risks and to get the best result.

Especially for these reasons, this forum is so helpful!

Of course, I realize that researching and reading are more within my comfort zone than actually building so I do have to force myself to keep on with building. Especially now that I'm facing winter's arrival! I keep wondering if I can build in the snow and the rain. I'll soon find out.
LN

saxfordalaska

I prefer snow to rain.  Usually take a break from outdoor projects around -20 F.  A propane weed burner will melt stubborn ice from frozen boards.  
Thank God for blue plastic tarps!

Lady_Novice

Wow, you build at 20 below?? That would be beyond my abilities, I'm sure. With winter approaching, I tell myself that I used to love skiing as a kid, and it didn't seem cold because we stayed warm due to the exercise. That's the only motivational platitude I can come up with. We'll see. I think feet don't get as much circulation so if I can keep my feet warm I'll be okay.

Yup, tarps are on my shopping list.
LN

peg_688

[quote author=Lady_Novice link=Wow, you build at 20 below??    :o :o  I go home at +20.   :-[

With winter approaching, I tell myself that I used to love skiing as a kid, and it didn't seem cold because we stayed warm due to the exercise.

Same way, ya work when it's cold , work faster / harder.  Well and dress really warm ;)

Some of it's a state of mind , -20  :o a state of mind I hope to never see :D

Have fun , PEG :)

saxfordalaska

Amanda_931

Even if there's 100% humidity at -20 F it's a dry cold.

(Do tires still freeze and take a couple of blocks to warm up going thunk-a-ka-thunk as they go?  I've never heard that--I'm glad--but I was mighty impressed when I heard about it.  Although seems like that might take all the way down to where degrees F and degrees C are the same.)

saxfordalaska

We have engine block heaters and battery warmers for those with elect.  If your off the grid I preferred a propane weed burner stuck in a could lengths of stove pipe.  I never left it cause the adjustment is not dependable at low temp. and you can cook your vehicle!  Tires and running gear are pretty stiff below -40.  But life goes on.

On the subject of building we residential builders up here are VERY serious about our air barriers.  Loose vizqueen, minimal staples, acoustical sealant and tape at all laps.