Water Line to shallow well connection

Started by skiwest, October 12, 2007, 10:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiwest

I've put in my buried power line , telephone conduit and 1" PE water line from cabin all in same trench as the well and the pole are in the same area.

I was wondering how to make connection to well.  Will be putting in pump next year as don't have septic system in yet.  Its a shallow well so its just a 36" galvanized culvert stuck in the ground with several holes in it.

If it was a "real" well it would be a pitless adapter but in this case do I just drill a hole big enough to put the water line with a sleeve on it?  I could leave it open but its aboout 8 fett deep and I'd rather not leave it open If I don't have to.

glenn kangiser

You could do that then seal the penetration with silicone to prevent infiltration of dirty surface water.

You could just put the pipe in cut clean then use a compression union to connect the pipe and pump 90 together assuming your casing is big enough for that.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

skiwest

If it was a tank with a smooth wall rather than a wavey one a bulkhead fitting would work but with the ribs of the culvert I don't think anything would seal.  I'm not sure if it would have to really as I'd put the hole in 8 feet below grade , I have to check but that should be just above the highest water level.  

With 8 feet of gravel I'm not too concerned with surface water as the area around the well slopes away in all directions.  Could put some geotextile around hole to act as filter.  It will be only a couple of feet from some of the water holes in culvert anyway.

skiwest

Well I found out the way to do it is drill hole in culvert to fit 1" pipe, attach PE pipe to 6 foot galv pipe threaded both end by hose barb. Stick about a foot of pipe in well (culvert) .  That way its steel on steel at culvert edge and the steel pipe 4-5 feet in gravel will suppot weight of pump.