What generator to buy?

Started by CabinNick, July 04, 2017, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabinNick

I need some advice on a generator to buy. 

My dad was going to give me his 2000w and 5000w generators for our cabin build but they were both just stollen out of his cargo trailer while in storage (what is wrong with people these days!!!). 

I would like to buy a generator for: 1) running power tools during cabin construction and 2) power/battery charging once the cabin is built. 

During the build we will need to power circular saw, table saw, chop saw, small air compressor/nailer, etc.  Would be fine if we can only run one at a time. 

Once the build is completed, I am hoping to have a solar power with a small generator as backup.  Our power demand will be for lights, charging phones/computer, small microwave and a few other small appliances - no washer/dryer, AC, fridge or things like that with major power draws. 

Right now I am going back and forth between the Honda 2000 and 3000 inverter generator.  I am thinking if I buy the 3000 now, it should meet all my needs during the build and would be a good generator to charge the batteries at the cabin once construction is done.  The 140 pound weight of the generator is going to be a pain but I think I can manage it.  So my questions:  Will the 3000 power my table saw, chop saw, etc. just fine?  I am assuming the 2000 would power some of the smaller tools but struggle with the table saw and chop saw when the blade bogs down? 

Any advice would be appreciated as I am just starting to do research and need to buy one in the next few days.  Thanks all. 

CabinNick

One other question I forgot to ask.  For the same price as the Honda 3000, I could buy two 2000's and buy the wire kit to run them parallel together and double the output - what is the downside of that verses just buying the larger 3000 model?  Seems like it would be a lot easier to move two 45 pound generators around then one 140 pound unit.

Dave Sparks

To me,  The 3000i is not really portable. It is amazing how many things the EU2000i can start.  I think I would just buy a cheap 5 KW generator for big loads while building and use the 2000i.  You can't hurt yourself moving a 3000i, save that for the cabin ::)
"we go where the power lines don't"

hpinson

Choose your power tools wisely and you can do a lot with the eu2000.  Keep them below 13 amps.  Startup is usually the problem, which can draw higher amperage and kill the generator.

NathanS

I have a generator only for power outages. I just got a cheap one, but a limiting factor was needing 240v for the well pump. I would have gone with the Honda 2k myself if it weren't for that.

MountainDon

Honda or Yamaha generator, rated at 2000 watts. That plus 18 volt power cordless tools built our cabin. Except for the air nailer that worked fine using a pancake compressor off the Yamaha we had. I did not need a table saw for much but had a DeWalt that ran off the Yamaha.

It was said and I agree that the 3000 watt is not really portable. I can't carry it, it does have wheels but that is limiting. The Honda 3000 makes for a nice unit if you need that much power. It's a "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CabinNick

Thanks for all your advice everyone.  I think I am going to buy the Honda EU2000i and at a later date possibly buy the companion EU2000i so I can run them in parallel for 3600 watts. 

The standard 3000 is just too heavy; however the Honda 3000 "Handi" was tempting at around 80 pounds but was about 10 decibels louder and $2200.  I can get more watts, quieter generator and easier unit to move with two parallel 2000's. 

Dave Sparks

Quote from: NathanS on July 04, 2017, 09:37:04 PM
I have a generator only for power outages. I just got a cheap one, but a limiting factor was needing 240v for the well pump. I would have gone with the Honda 2k myself if it weren't for that.

The holy grail for me is a quiet generator that can supply 240 for an Offgrid Inverter/charger. Even a 2KW would be fine. I have been asking for this for 20 years....The Honda EU 7000i does this but is too big and heavy. There was small propane generac for some time but it is just too loud.

I got so frustrated over the years that I designed a solar system that did not need a generator :P

Arky217

I have a Honda 2000i and I can even start my 15A, 120V air compressor with it.
Normally it won't start an air compressor, but I made two modifications on the compressor.
One, I simply set the cutoff pressure a little lower, 120psi instead of 135psi, so that the
amp draw at cutoff is only about 13 amps.
And two, (most important), I put a 3 way ball valve between the compressor and the tank.
This allows me to open the compressor to atmosphere while keeping the pressure in the tank.
That way the motor isn't bogged down trying to overcome the tank pressure and thus
the start current is much less.
When the compressor starts, just close the valve to atmosphere.

DaveOrr

Quote from: MountainDon on July 05, 2017, 11:32:19 AM
Honda or Yamaha generator, rated at 2000 watts. That plus 18 volt power cordless tools built our cabin. Except for the air nailer that worked fine using a pancake compressor off the Yamaha we had. I did not need a table saw for much but had a DeWalt that ran off the Yamaha.

It was said and I agree that the 3000 watt is not really portable. I can't carry it, it does have wheels but that is limiting. The Honda 3000 makes for a nice unit if you need that much power. It's a "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing.  ;D

I have a Yamaha 2000is that does most everything I need it to.
There are a couple of things it doesn't run well if at all. It doesn't like a Hilti TE80 Combihammer but runs a TE-70 fine.
It won't run my compressor either. I have a 3,500 noisy thing for those times it's needed.
I will end up with a 3,000 watt Honda or Yamaha for the cabin when it's all finished.
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

ChugiakTinkerer

If you can be selective in your tools and have no need for 240v, you can probably get by with any of the 2000 w inverter generators.  I have a Westinghouse 2000i XLT generator that handles my compound miter saw just fine.  My compressor is a small one and is also handled quite capably by the generator.  If you don't need monster power and are still at a stage where you can selectively get your tools for low startup power draw then a 2k generator may meet all your needs.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Dave Sparks

Funny thing about generators, there is no "may" meet your needs, they either do or don't :) :(

CabinNick

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I ended buying two of the Honda EU2000i generators that I will run in parallel when needed.  The price tag is a little hard to swallow but they are really nice and quiet.