20 X 40 1.5 log cabin - our latest pictures

Started by chatycady, August 18, 2006, 09:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatycady

chatycady

I gave in and called a professional and now I have hot water!!!!

chatycady

More pictures

peg_688

Is that the door to the bathroom oar some other room???  ;D

glenn-k

peg_688

I think "technically" it's a paddle  :-?, but I couldn't come up with a line to go with paddle  :-[

Nice lookin place BTW 8-)

chatycady

I think dogs paddle

Jake out for a swim oar rather a paddle

Never, never scold oar paddle such a cute grandson!

;D ;D

jraabe

This must be the [highlight]Poet's Corner[/highlight]!

We must all man the ors here.

;) - PS - Lovely project!

hobbiest

QuoteI think "technically" it's a paddle  :-?, but I couldn't come up with a line to go with paddle  :-[

Nice lookin place BTW 8-)

I think you might be up s@#% creek without an oar on that one!

chatycady

We've moved in...

We still have the loft to complete, bathroom, railing and basement to work on, but now we can stay over and have a meal or two!

This morning we had a local tree service trim out dead branches and anything that was hanging over the roof. Anyone need wood?

camp_hope

:) Your cabin is really nice. It's very inspiring! Thanks for sharing your experience and photos with us.

Billie

deertracks

Your place looks great.... inside and out.
Thanks for posting all the finished pictures of inside.
It's gives us all inspiration and lots of ideas for those who haven't started.

Sassy

Your place looks like I'd want to go over for a visit - I'd love to sit in a rocking chair, reading, out on that lovely  porch.  You've really made your place - inside & out - a home you should be proud of & I'm sure, you'll thoroughly enjoy!

chatycady

Thanks all for the kind comments. It has been a busy eventful year. Last year at this time I was recuperating from some broken bones from a fall on the site. It's all been worth it.

There is much satisfaction in Doing It Yourself!

Chaty

chatycady

I took sometime off around Christmas and then it snows and snows and was really cold. I must carry everything in, as we don't plow the driveway. Finish work is a lot slower than I thought it would be.

I finished the radiant floor heat first of November. I love the heat. I keep it right at 45 degrees and it is steady. Then I stoke up the woodburner when I come to work.

Here is a pic of my 4 loops. It ain't pretty, but it wasn't difficult to install.

Still have some work to do on the railing around the basement steps, but it's coming.

ANd some pictues of the loft,,,,

ANd I hung a light and fan this afternoon. Then headed home, it was snowing AGAIN!

There is no trying, only doing!

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Good to hear from you again - place looks really nice - I'm impressed!  It sounds like you are only there part-time?  You mentioned that you hung the light fixture/fan & then went home. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

CWhite

What a beautiful place.  The interior wood is such a great asset.  I like the railing you're installing to the basement.  Being able to see through it so easily keeps it from breaking up all that nice open space.  That was a great idea.  Your floor plan seems extremely comfortable and livable.
Thanks for showing the pictures.
Christina

rdzone

chatycady,

I am really interested in your radiant floor heating system.  Could you provide some more information on the install?  Looks like you are using your water heater to provide the heat.  is it a closed system or an open system?  Do you have any more pictures of the tubing install. 

By the way the Cabin looks Great!

Chuck
Chuck

williet

chatycady

Chuck - unfortunately I didn't take pictures as I went. I did alot of the pex install myself. I bought the radiant panel (open system) at the local home store. It came with good instructions. It allows for 4 loops. I then bought 4 250' rolls of pex. That way I didn't have to measure as each loop needs to be about the same length. Some of mine are a little over 250 and some just under. Loops shouldn't be more than 300' for this system. Splicing was extremely easy.

The hardest part is working above my head, pulling the pex through the floor joists. (woman have no upper arm strength!) Plus I'm short, so meant up and down the ladder a lot! The furthest loop from the panel was the hardest, but I sweet talked my husband into helping with it. (He thinks I'm nuts!) d* d*

I borrowed the crimping tool from my friendly plumber. That was very easy to do. Then used the staple gun with big plastic staples to staple it up to the underlayment. I did not use the aluminum transfer plates. I did staple foil bubble wrap over the pex (1" air space) then finished it off with R15 insulation.

I wish I had used pex for the water pipes. It's much easier to manuever than copper and I'm not likey to start fires!

The water heater is an LP 50 gallon  AO Smith - power vent.  I love the system. There are no drafts and I don't hear a thing when it's working.

Sassy - This is our weekend cabin. It's too far from my work.  I want to retire here, but my husband won't move off the farm! So when I finish this, it will be chaty's quilting shack. (i love quilting too)

rdzone

chatycady,

Thanks for the information.  Just a few more questions..

Did you run tubing under the loft floor?

What spacing did you use in the joist bays?

Did you use 1/2" pex?

Do you think the bubble wrap is sufficiant to transfer the heat?  or do you think you would add transfer plates if you did it all over again?

I have already run the pex in my basement slab, but I am trying to decide if I need to install it under my first floor decking or not. (building the 2 story universal with a full basement) I definately will put tubing under the second story floor decking.  I have been wondering if there will be enough heat rising to skip the first floor. 

Chuck

chatycady

Chuck,

Did you run tubing under the loft floor?    No it's warm, granted not as warm as the main floor.

What spacing did you use in the joist bays?  Once down and back in each bay. No real spacing. I skipped the bays next to the outside walls and stayed about a foot in from each exterior wall -  Less heat loss - is what I read.  Also I didn't put any pex under the toilet, kitchen cupboards, or refrig.

Did you use 1/2" pex?  Yes

Do you think the bubble wrap is sufficiant to transfer the heat?  Yes it is. 

or do you think you would add transfer plates if you did it all over again? No.

I read that transfer plates aren't necessary and actually cause noise. The bays get really warm above the insulation. Actually I only put the bubble wrap on 1/2 of the floor as I didn't think of it til later.  I can't tell the difference, its all warm.

I didn't put radiant in the cement basement floor. I will put some wall radiators in when I finish the basement. I left room enough to add two. Our main source of heat will be a fireplace.

I think I would put the radiant floor heat in your main floor. Radiant heat heats objects it touches, it doesn't heat the air, so would think your main floor would be pretty cold. When I determined what system I needed I figured the loft as if it were an open vaulted ceiling.

You might get by putting just one run in each bay, on both the first and second floor. Just a thought. But you will have cut the surface area that is heated in half. Same reason I wouldn't use 1" pex either. Just my thought. (Remember I'm not an expert, just a wanna-be know it all! ) :)

Hope this helps. So have you posted your project?

rdzone

Thanks for the response, some very useful information.  It looks like I will run radiant tubing under all the floors and maybe skip the transfer plates, which will save some $$.

I have posted my project, just haven't updated it lately as we are just doing little things here and there.  The weather hasn't been cooperating.  The last 3 or 4 weekends have been cold -10 to -20 and we do not have any insulation in yet as we still need to install most of the windows and siding. 

here is the link to our family project.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1499.0
Chuck

chatycady

Last month I put the final coats of stain on the cabin and then I built the hand rail on the steps.

John came by and put up the trim around the roof, we rented a lift - I think I rented one that was way too big!

THe roof really isn't purple. Its a reddish brown -

I also found an old clawfoot tub, that I refinished. Lots of scouring, sanding and resanding. I love it! Afer a hard days work, I fill it with bubbles. I think I deserve it.

This past week I took some time off and went to visit family in Nebraska and Colorado. Did some hiking in the mountains. This is me!

These past two years have been very rewarding. I love this website and check in often to see how everyone's projects are progressing. Lots of talent here!