14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

Ok, This is for those of you who are exploring this site, trying to figure out if you can afford to choose a similar path by building your own place.  This is one question I always had hoped to find an answer to before I started on this project.

Here is the "score card" for expenses so far.   Only now do I realize how variable the the issues can be that drive expenses.  

This is the 14 x 24 plan, just the rectangle with a loft and 10' stud walls. No fancy (or simple) additions.

The box is up, the roof is OSB'd, mostly (there's enough here to finish that up). The metal roof is paid for and so is about 1/2 the insulation.  So, materials and labor so far  $10K.  That's not a brag by any means.

No plumbing, no wiring, no windows....no doors.....no steps or decks.  Just the box.

It could have been less if I had not been stubborn about a 2 x 6 T&G 1st floor and went with the usual stuff.  It could have been less if I'd used 2 x 4 instead of 2 x 6 stud walls.  And it could have been less if I'd chosen fiberglass insulation in rolls instead of Roxul insulation. And maybe it would have been less if I hadn't decided to build the post and pier tall enough to get the 1st floor about 50" off the ground.

Its hardly a number to make a bet on, but if more of us can share this type of info, it may be of help to the ones who are still deciding whether or not to "take the plunge".  :D

considerations

"CF is the land next to yours for sale."

Yes, funny you should mention that.

considerations

"I try to stay clear of all those 18 wheelers on the highway, especially on I-5"

Staying clear of a large rig in motion is a very wise choice, there is only so much a driver can do.

I worked in the steel industry for 25 years, and what I learned was that most drivers are decent, careful and far more skillful drivers than the usual auto pilot (was that a freudian slip?).  Losing a commercial driver's license usually means the end of a career.

I also learned that an 80 thousand pound projectile is impossible to stop on a dime, no trucker wants to be unceremoniously launched through the windshield of a big rig, and cars that swerve suddenly right in front of a big rig, or follow so closely that they cannot be seen in the rear view mirrors of a semi are some of the biggest and most common hazards a trucker faces.

I've also recently learned that jake brakes are simply more than the nervous system of most horses can bear.  Fortunately, I was a spectator for that lesson.

Did I say that right Glenn?

Redoverfarm

A lot of "if's" in the cost post.  "If a toad had wings he wouldn't bump his but".  But if you had to do over again would you.  Of course you would.  It's not the destination but journey that is the reward.

glenn kangiser

You have that right, considerations.

Also -- the driver is somewhat of a god up there in there in the front of that 80000 lbs of steel.  If you are stupid and try to push him over as you merge in beside him or her, and he has to choose between smashing a car or two legally on his left or you merging into the side of him on his right without looking, you will likely lose.  He can't help that and won't kill someone else who is obvioussly smarter than you are.

If you are a guy sitting in the right seat of the car that illegally tried to merge then slammed on the brakes and went around the big truck (the guy in the right seat while the little lady drives the car) it would be wise if you didn't flip the bird to the driver.  

These trucks are capable of over 80 miles an hour and the driver may just decide to pull out behind you and chase you down the road as you crap your pants in the seat of your car and after 20 miles or so you may have to have the little lady take evasive manuevers to lose him.  If all you can see are the bugs on his front bumper then he is likely pretty close and may not realize you are down below his radiator cap.  Don't ask me how I know this.

You will find though that if you treat them courteously truck drivers will generally do all they can to save your bacon.

What do you think, considerations? hmm  I know you had to be nicer than me.  

I always turned the jake off for horses and even pull my foot out of the turbo on my straight pipe Dodge unless they rub me the wrong way -- or are a biker forcing me into oncoming traffic on a corner.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

There was a movie a few years back where a mad trucker was chasing someone down. Can't recall the title now.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

Yikes Glenn, you're scary.  Road rage on steroids.  Dont ask me how I know that. rofl 

Redoverfarm, sure there are lots of ifs....cause I knew what I knew, I knew what I didn't know, and I don't know what I don't know.....more to follow on that.

Mostly I just want pilgrims like me, who are not quite as far along in the process, or still thinking about it, to have something, anything, that relates the possible costs. 

That was a dilema for me, I can't be the only one who spent a long time scratching their heads about that issue. 

By the way, what does Redoverfarm mean, exactly? I've been courious about this for awhile, but it keeps slipping my mind when I'm on the site. 

I find the history of words fascinating, this is a sincere question.

Sassy

I was wondering that myself, never thought to ask...

Just happened to see that movie on my computer a few months back - had never seen it before - it was kinda dumb in a way, but really kept your attention - the suspense & wondering, what in the world?  But is guess I shouldn't have questioned that, knowing Glenn  rofl
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I'm normally a very nice courteous driver always putting the other persons thoughts, needs and desires first. ::)

It's always nice when people will share pricing information and comments.  Good girl, considerations. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

QuoteRoad rage on steroids.  Dont ask me how I know that.

Considerations, are you saying you had ......

.... an event? hmm

considerations

No, thank heavens. I was just "quipping" your quote.  I was never faced with having to make the type of choices you describe, although I got good and scared a few times when little cars would do silly things.

Working for so long in an industrial area, I saw lots of clear examples of the outcome of cars and trucks attempting to occupy the same space at the same time. It never worked well. Taught me real respect.

The worst thing that ever happened to me while driving was the white knuckle lesson about getting a load of swinging beef around a clover leaf.  It was a little different than boxes of frozen meat.   [shocked] It turned out ok. 

It's still raining.

glenn kangiser

That could almost put you on two wheels with that high moving CG.

You really have to handle that swinging meat with care --- know what you are doing and be good at it. :)

I flopped my Pete and loaded 45 foot reefer on its side in an ice storm to keep from running over 3 carloads of people.  They were  parked in the road around a corner looking at another wrecked 18 wheeler. 

I was almost stopped but couldn't keep from running over them so tried to go around, slid into the ditch and flopped on the left side. 

The 3 cars took off - left the scene.  The road was clear and there was no reason for them to be stopped except sight seeing.

The only help I got right away was the lady that was helping with the other wreck.  She also watched them all split the scene.  I climbed out the miising windshield. 

It was an interesting slow motion twisting action as I watched the rear end of the reefer start twisting to the left in my mirror, then it was like two giant hands wringing out a cloth as the rest just twisted and followed with me and the tractor being the last to just flop and slam to the ground. 

The rig only slid a few feet as I was going so slow.  The ice was nearly too slippery to stand on as it was just beginning to thaw on top. Winter of 1983 South of Bend, Oregon.

Frozen corn on the cob, anybody?

I hope your rain stops so you can get after it. :)

considerations

"That could almost put you on two wheels with that high moving CG."

"almost" would have been better, but we didn't go over. I was young, inexperienced, and tired from driving all night.  Getting that load onto and down the highway was entirely different than getting off.
Gotta remember about that top rack.  I'm sure I didn't drive long enough to ever really become experienced, I was just lucky. 

I bet you have thousands of stories.  I haven't talked about this in years.  An almost forgotten chapter.

I lived in Portland, Oregon in 1983. We had some world class freezing rain and ice storms. I don't remember what year it was but on a trip from Portland to Bend over Christmas on Highway 26 (the shoulder of Mt Hood), we got snarled in a highway closure because a truck had slid through the guard rail and partly off the highway.  The cab was hanging out over the canyon amidst the tree tops. Pretty spectacular. Good thing he was loaded. 

I have to go pound nails now.

considerations

glenn kangiser

Quote from: considerations on August 28, 2008, 11:54:21 AM
"That could almost put you on two wheels with that high moving CG."

"almost" would have been better, but we didn't go over. I was young, inexperienced, and tired from driving all night.  Getting that load onto and down the highway was entirely different than getting off.
Gotta remember about that top rack.  I'm sure I didn't drive long enough to ever really become experienced, I was just lucky. 

I bet you have thousands of stories.  I haven't talked about this in years.  An almost forgotten chapter.

I lived in Portland, Oregon in 1983. We had some world class freezing rain and ice storms. I don't remember what year it was but on a trip from Portland to Bend over Christmas on Highway 26 (the shoulder of Mt Hood), we got snarled in a highway closure because a truck had slid through the guard rail and partly off the highway.  The cab was hanging out over the canyon amidst the tree tops. Pretty spectacular. Good thing he was loaded. 

I have to go pound nails now.

Sorry - somehow I missed this.  Sounds like that was plenty of excitement for one day.  I talked with a swinging meat hauler on a trip to Texas.  Other drivers just tried to get away from me. :) d*  (I was sometimes a bit obnoxious.)

I do have lots of stories....I'm full of BS. [crz]

1983 was the year I flopped mine - South of Bend - North of Lone Pine.  Plenty of Ice.

Progress is good.  Still sleeping out  there?-- looks good but wet.

Redoverfarm

Way to go.  The rain will not stop you now. Wish I had some of your rain here.

Woodswalker

Sept is a good month to be getting a roof on a new place in W-WA.  I've been impressed with the great progress you've made this summer.  Stay safe working on that roof, so you don't get delayed getting it cozy for the winter. We know the rains are coming soon.

considerations

I'm afraid I don't get much DIY credit for the roof.  Mostly just passing out money and holding ladders, and recharging the compressor, cutting OSB, and handing up pieces and nails, etc.

The roof metal is here, and the roof guy is bringing a buddy today. (Those young guys are a lot faster than I am).  I expect it will be on this week. 

This is good, even though I secretly chafe at just being ground logistics and support, I'd rather be handing stuff up and getting it done than walking the ridge or "rappelling" the slope, or taking too long and getting caught by the rainy season. 

The practicality of getting the roof on has to override the possessive part of my DIY spirit, in this instance.   :(

Suffice it to say, I'm grateful for a solution.  All it took was money.   

The view is awesome from the loft. Can't see the ocean, but it sort of puts you up in the trees.

It was worth struggling with that tall post and pier foundation.  And, I'm very happy with the compromise of a 7.5' ceiling, rather than 7' or 8'.  I don't feel like I have to duck on the first floor, and yet I got that extra 6" of wall in the loft.  There is more walking around room up there than I thought I would have. 

So, all things considered, it's pretty exciting. I finally decided to stick a couple skylights in, since these guys will do the deed for me. 

I can hardly wait to start camping in the shell.   c*

Woodswalker

Ground support is every bit as important as being up on the slope.  Getting a nice metal roof on quick is well worth the expenditure, considering the time of year and location.  Glad to hear you've decided on a couple of skylights.  They're not very practical where I'm from (MN), due to extreme winter temps, but make lots of sense here.  I only have one, and will add another when I redo the roof next summer.  If you heat with wood, the energy loss is not a big issue - just cut & split some more rounds.  You're doing good.  Look forward to more pics.

Steve

John Raabe

Snug project, Considerations. Hope you are enjoying the sunny WA weather.

(I was in Port Townsend yesterday for the wooden boat festival)

Lady Washington

Traffic jam

That's my boat - the one carrying the cars.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sassy

Considerations - wow, great progress!  I'm usually the gofer for Glenn - I'd rather make things easier for him to get the work done...  using your time & talents wisely by paying someone to do the roof is the way to go...  you've already proven you can do it by what you've accomplished!  How exciting  c*

BTW, John, great pictures!  I love looking at the ocean, boats, scenery in Washington - wouldn't mind visiting from time to time but I guess my 12 yrs of living up there was enough for me - although right now I could stand some cool, wet weather!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Gotta take those blue sky pix when you can, John.

considerations

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....Mom was a little late with supper.  Take a look at Mr. Buckethead's feet.  The message could not be more clear.

glenn kangiser

rofl ... probably listens to Primus too.

(Buckethead plays with Primus sometimes.)