14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

Braces?  My grandpa wore them to keep his socks up. 

I used braces to hold the walls straight and still until they were all nailed together...

Can you say a little more about the braces you are referring to?   :-\

The date on the camera, oh yes, thanks...I cant see the little bugger without glasses, and it reverts to some default every time I pull the card to stick it in the computer and download new pics.  Oops.

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on August 05, 2008, 11:18:02 PM

I used braces to hold the walls straight and still until they were all nailed together...

Can you say a little more about the braces you are referring to?   :-\

You need to leave the temporary bracing , generally 1x4 or 2x4's run on a diagonal on the inside of the studs until, AT LEAST, all your wall sheathing is installed and nailed off. I generally leave any temp bracing on until the roof is sheathed and the rat runs , if any, ( truss roofs generally have rat runs, or bracing up in the truss webs) are installed.

Your walls although stood and nailed together are not a unit until the sheathing is on and nailed off , or at least most of it , that lower row you have on is not enought to hold everything plumb and square. As you start walking on your loft joists to sheath them the building will wobble.

So add at least one brace inside on each wall and recheck your walls for plumb.

Lookin good, 8) keep posting the photos we'll see things you may not know about, like this bracing and can give you a heads up before it becomes a issue. 

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

BTW wheres your stair well ??? You should be framing that in BEFORE you sheath that loft deck. Moe easy that way  ;)

considerations

Thank you all for the info.  I'll get on it in the morning. 

You're right, it did wobble.  Still, it was pretty neat to finally get up there.

considerations

Skinning (reverse) in process.  The plumb bob and the level says things are still square and plumb......but it doesn't wobble anymore. 

Thanks to all of you for the coaching.

Redoverfarm

CF I wasn't sure what you were doing with the 2nd story/loft for a floor.  Maybe you said and I just over looked it.  But if you are doing 2X6 T&G there also and plan to put up any partitions be carefull when attaching the sill plates.  You standard 16d framing nail is 3-1/2" long and it will protrude down through into the ceiling area of the 1st floor.  I used 2-1/2" deck screws which when flush to the sill plate you still have 1" holding in the T&G.  Not really a problem if it works out over the floor joist but usually doesn't going one way or the other.  Had it in my mind and thought I would pass it along.  Just another thing to clutter your construction mind as if it is probably getting cramped.  I was doing my bathroom in the loft and while it was still fresh.

ScottA

Looks great!  :) I was doing a little framing today too. Damn it was hot though.

Redoverfarm

Scott mine was in the loft.  It was 80F on the 1st floor but by afternoon it was considerably more in the loft.  Took longer than I thought to work out the framing against a 10/12 pitch rafter. I would have been done if it were a flat celing.

considerations

"be carefull when attaching the sill plates"

I'm only "on page 124".... I think you are ahead of me.  I'll look up sill plates. ???

I pinned some OSB up there, just so I could "survey the estate"....but my neighbors (they are great fun) have formed a consensus that to beat the rain, I should just keep going on the OSB and get the roof on...do the 2 x 6 T&G floor after.  

As always, thanks for the advice.  There is no way I could do this by myself.  

What I think I've figured out is that when you have experience at this, you are always thinking several moves ahead.  When you (me) are at it for the first time. I read the directions in the various framing books, go do step 1, go read the book, go to do step 2, and sometimes I have to back up a little, because I sort of "painted myself into a corner...because I didn't know how step 1 would affect step 2.

Anyway, its an adventure, and so far so good.  There have been adjustments along the way.  I gave up on a $624 sliding glass door...because it was $624....I decided I liked the $161 hinged doors better.  

I have to rethink the back steps from upstairs....the 12/12 roof will cut me off at the sternum when the stairs go around the corner of the house....haven't pondered a workable answer to that yet.  I'm staying focused on a finished roof, and will explore the stair issue later.  That's just part of the journey.  

Redoverfarm

CF the sill plate or bottom plate is what the bottom of the studs are nailed to.  I think the proper term is "bottom plate" but it is basickly the same as a sill plate on the exterior wall.  Peg correct me if I am wrong.  I wasn't trying to second guess you in the steps just didn't want you to make the mistake that alot of others have made.   They have a real nice open beam ceiling only to discover that they nailed their plates down upstairs and the nails are sticking down through the ceiling about an inch.  d*

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 06, 2008, 07:42:31 PM

CF the sill plate or bottom plate is what the bottom of the studs are nailed to.  I think the proper term is "bottom plate" but it is basickly the same as a sill plate on the exterior wall.  Peg correct me if I am wrong.  I wasn't trying to second guess you in the steps just didn't want you to make the mistake that alot of others have made.   They have a real nice open beam ceiling only to discover that they nailed their plates down upstairs and the nails are sticking down through the ceiling about an inch.  d*

Bottom plate,  would be the term I'd use.

Red's talking about any loft walls you build on the loft floor.  When you get to those remember not to just nail the plates down as IF you do and the nails are 3" long they will leave 'pecker tracks', blow thru's that will show on the ceiling below.   

I agree with the neighbors  temporally sheet that loft floor with some of the roof sheathing (if you have to use it rather that buy sheets for the temp floor) get your rafters up , then your facia and rake boards.

After that you can leave those sheet in place as a temp floor at least while you sheet the first roof side. Then as needed  start take them up , from the  loft floor, and slide them out a rafter bay right onto the rafters. Maybe you'll have a few sheets left over, or some pieces, that  you can use to stand on as you "run out" of sheets.

Worry about the loft floor after the roof is on. 

considerations

Thanks, all of you.  Its humbling to be so publicly ignorant.  Nope, I don't want nails sticking through the ceiling.  Bad form. 

I accept all the comments with gratitude...sometimes a little angst, as I scramble to look up a new term.  But, wonder of wonders, I now comfortably discuss the more common uses of residential lumber, making distinctions between beams, rafters, headers, and keep adding different kinds of plates to the mental library.  I know, just wait until I start on the interior....a whole new vocabulary awaits.

My building supply store personnel loves you guys because now I don't come in looking for thingamabobs and sky hooks. (at least not as often)  rofl

Redoverfarm, trying to give a pilgrim a little warning about how step 2 could affect step 3 is exactly what I need.  That's the voice of experience I simply do not have.  Keep it coming, please.

And Scott, I'm grateful about you pushing me to get the OSB on the walls. 

You'll all smile.  There are 3 burly neighbor guys showing up Monday to "help" set the ridge and rafters.  Famous!  With all of them running around up there, those walls would have really wiggled...or worse.

The neighbors keep converging to see what's going on.  Another friend said, gee, I have this old Franklin stove I would love to get rid of....

Yes, it is old, but good looking, in beautiful shape and completely functional...I don't think it was ever used much.  How does one return such a favor in kind?  It will take a while to puzzle that one through.

I've been on my own for years, self sufficient and independent.... so used to doing for myself that the largess of the neighbors is embarrassing.  But it is darn hard to say no. 

I really didn't know for sure how I was going to do that roof by myself.  I'd have gotten it done one way or another  [noidea' but things are looking pretty good for a much earlier dry in date than I could have hoped for doing it alone.

apaknad

well considerations,

not to embarass you but you are kinda my new hero. :) with your perserverence and dedication and openess to learning it makes me feel that i too can build a house. i know a little more than you do but not all that much. keep pushin' on.
i built a garage with the same type of lineal thinking that you are using, ie., read step 1 and do it, go back to book and read step 2 etc...
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

PEG688

Don't forget your people keepers, 2x4 nailed thru the sheeting into the rafters , to keep people on the roof.

Or go rent or buy some roof jacks, you'll need those anyway IF you shingle your own roof. You'll need one or the other to sheath that roof , might want them on hand this weekend, plan ahead,  wouldn't want to squander the help for lack of a some 2x4's.   

Home Despot or your local lumber yard may have them. 

BTW IF you get the roof jacks 2x6's work best with them. 

considerations

PEG, do those roof jacks still apply if the plan is to OSB - felt paper - metal sheet the roof?

How far apart should they be?  That would help with how many I would need.

PEG688

No they wouldn't help with a metal roof , but they would for sheeting the roof. About 10' apart ,  use 12' long 2x6's , you nail ithru the slotted holes , thru the OSB,  into the rafter top, Then the 2x6's rest in the hook , with day help like your getting they will make it safer than just a 2x4 'people keeper' like we pro's use.

But they won't help with the metal roof install.     

Redoverfarm

CF for the metal roof you can use the 2X4 people keepers as mentioned by just nailing them down to give you footing.  But with Metal you have to move them on each sheet of metal.  Then of course you could make an inexpensive "Chicken Ladder" that hangs down both sides of the roof to the eve and just keep moving it back as you go.  I know you don't have a tractor but a truck bed will work also if you can move around on both sides.  A long extension ladder up the roof slope and rested on the cab side of the bed to keep it from kicking out.  Why I say tractor is that I put my metal on using a wooden ladder rested in the bucket of the tractor.  Just had to relocate the tractor every two sheets of metal.  I perfer the ladder system as you can screw the metal from the bottom to the top without repositioning the people keepers or roof jacks. Just food for thought.

considerations

PEG, was "Home Despot" intentional or a Freudian slop?

Its punny, no matter what.   :D

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on August 07, 2008, 08:50:31 PM

PEG, was "Home Despot" intentional or a Freudian slop?

Its punny, no matter what.   :D

Intentional I could have called it the Borg. As in Star Trek, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile, as the big box stores sort of assimilate/ take over other like and kind smaller company's.

BORG also could be a acronym for Big Orange Retail Giant, take your pick, I was a Star Trek fan so I like the assimilate thing. 

But don't get me wrong I like my local Home Despot , but I like to kid around as well. Nothing wrong with most of what they sell, bu it's not a place to buy lumber , or 'finish' plywood like Shop birch, oak , etc.   

considerations

I think I just want a sky hook....or wings. The chicken ladder sounds interesting. 

I want to live long and prosper.....heard that somewhere, liked it.

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on August 07, 2008, 11:20:28 PM

#1: I think I just want a sky hook....or wings. The chicken ladder sounds interesting. 

#2:   I want to live long and prosper.....heard that somewhere, liked it.

#1: That could work , this will be hard to understand but read it a couple of times and it might make sense.

After your sheathed , the roof, and nailed off. Start your felt form the ridge down , NOW you need to lay it so the upper piece is OVER/ on top of the one below it .

So you'll roll out the top  course , tacking it down with a hammer tacker/ staple gun , LEAVING the lower edge loose , then roll out course #2 and slide it under the one above, do this as you work your way down the roof. Removing your people keepers as they get in the way , keep adding paper cousre as you come down.

The chicken ladder could be site made , out of 2x4 for the sides and 1x4 as 'rungs' space what ever distance apart feels comfortable to you or who ever will be working off of it. Then slide one up each side and attach at the peak so it runs up one side and down the other . On the under side the side laying on the roof you'll need to make sure the couple maybe three spacers you put on that side are smooth recess the fasteners so they don't tear the felt as you side the chicken ladder side ways. Then you can work both sides of the roof with the metal and move from one end to the other.   

#2 Spock said that on the original Star Trek , the Borg where in Star Trek, The Next Generation , with Captain Jon Luke Picard.

On one show they had Scotty , the chief Engineer from the Org. Star Trek on , the Engineer, Jordy LaForge who worked for Capt. Picard  was fixing some thing , like they did , life or death fix it or die type stuff. Any way he told Capt P. "I need 20 minutes" Scotty after LaForge has signed off with Capt.P , sez , "OK, How long will this take?"  La Forge looks at him funny and sez , " 20 minutes!" Just like I told the Capt'n!" Scotty sez " Eye lad ye gotta fudge the numbers! How else will the Capt. KNOW your a miracle workerrrrrrrrrr!"

So Scotty been liein thru his teeth to Capt. Kirk all those years ! rofl rofl rofl     

glenn kangiser

"Aye Capt'n.  I can't 'old 'er together.  You keep pushin' 'er this hard, she's gonna blow."

Careful, PEG. [crz]

Some of these projects are very rough on engines.. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_C

QuoteI was a Star Trek

Ditto from one "Ugly bag of mostly water" to another.

considerations

Ta Dah!   Then it started raining again.   :)

There is a beam in there - REALLY!  All those skewed sticks are stabilizers.

No, I didn't do it alone. The burly boys showed up and basically sent me packing.  I cut and handed up and cut and handed up and recharged the compressor and cut and handed up and and and stood on my tiptoes with a camera and climbed the ladders to poke my head up and watch and cut and handed up...  Like the littlest kid being left behind.  But its a start, and I think everyone had a good time. Lots of laughing.