Pics of our completed renovation

Started by Jens, January 24, 2006, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

Here are finished pictures, don't have bafore, except for the exterior.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Jens

This is looking from the front door into the kitchen.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Jens

The upper cabinets are the origionals, but I cut the panels out and installed glass that I cut from old, salvaged windows.  The lower cabinets, sink, and countertops are all new.  There used to be a wall where the bar is now.  Can't figure out why the header of that opening with the pine seems to be sagging.

Jens

The bathroom is all new too, except for the tub and toilet.  Toilet has been moved though, had to when the floorplan was redesigned to have a hallway.  There used to be a door behind where the toilet is now, and one behind that cabinet unit on the right.

Jens

Here is a photo of the sink cabinet that I built.  5 months after I built this (thinking that it was fairly origional, or at least not all over the place), I began to see many different models in the home stores in K Falls that were open shelved.  None of them had the dowel shelf though!

Jens

Where the stove backsplash is, used to be the doorway to the bathroom.  The fridge is in a redesigned alcove that used to house the stove.  A pantry next to it replaced an old dilapidated chimney.  The hood is something that I saw in a bungelow kitchens book, and decided to build.  It uses a regular, $40 vent.  In retrospect, I would have built the hood wider, and lower, as it was 10 or so inches above the recommended height and didn't draft too well.

Amanda_931

Looks nice.

Architecture photographers really like to use view cameras to compensate for the angles--can get away from the lens being parallel to the film plane.

Might be that you needed something like that--or the camera wide open and/or at max wide angle that caused both the bowing of the header and also in another picture--front door into kitchen.

Jens

It isn't like that in the hard copy, just the cd, and as far as I can tell, just when resized.

Sassy

Great job! Looks really nice, I like your cabinets.   When we remodeled our place in the valley we cut out areas in the kitchen wall for the fridge like you did, also for the oven & microwave - gave us a lot more room.  We painted all the walls white, too.  I like to use a lot of accent colors with furniture, plants, niknaks, etc, so I like the background walls to be light.  I always enjoy seeing what other people have done - gives me ideas!  Now, with the underground cabin, it's all wood & a whole different style but its fun trying to figure out how to decorate the place.  
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

Its kinda funny, but the wall color was actually taupe.  Actually, I called it garbage can grey, because it was a bunch of different miss tints that a friend picked up, mixed up in a garbage can.  In all the photos though, it came out looking white.  The cielings were cream, and the trim and cabinets were white.  If we had been doing the house to live in it, and not to sell it, we probably would have gotten some color in there, in tile, and paint.

Jimmy C.

Looks great! What's the next project?
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

hobbiest

Right now, keeping my wife happy by doing a lot of stuff on this rental that we are in.  The landlord is paying for the materials, and some compensation for labor will be worked out.  I am building and installing new cabinets, Wif and I are painting, may end up doing the bathrooms, but that depends on the landlords thoughts.  And making sure our baby comes out healthy is a big priority too.  Our oldest had his 7th birthday today, and yesterday was our 8th anniversary of meeting BTW.  Come summertime (or before that if possible) we will be looking for another house to remodel.  Need to do a few more flips, so that we can build a house on the lot that we own, cash out and "retire" at an early age.  buy some land, build a small house, and a couple of big shops, maybe end up rennovating, or building and selling small houses for a living.  I might even work in making a few movies here and there in between.  At 26, I know I have plenty of energy left!  Here is a photo of my second cabinet job, the ones for this house.

jraabe

Nice job. Simple and clean. Is that an MDF panel in the door frame?

Sassy

Wow, you are way ahead of most "kids" your age! ;)   Nice cabinets.  When is the baby due?  Are you having a boy or girl?  Keep those dreams & plans alive!  8-).  Maybe you will end up with a WILD place like ours  :o ...  you never know what is in the mind of GLENN  :o...  I have ideas - Glenn has IDEAS

Kathy

hobbiest

Thanks for the compliments.  Yes John, the panels are MDF beadboard.  The panels will be painted, and the pine will all be polyurethened.  I wanted to use 2 poplar panels in each door, but it just would have been too expensive, when I'm not paying for it.  When I am using somebody elses money, I try not to spend too much of it!  It is pretty cool though to get some more cabinetry out of the way, so that by the time I am doing a house for us, or get a client who wants custom cabinets it will be that much easier.  
Sassy, The baby's due on the 8th of Feb.  It'll be any day now.  I can't wait to nap with him!  Nap time is my favorite time with our kids.
http://home1.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user&Mytoken=F0D81994-CE7D-F11A-22917F4450D71FD15362272
This is the link to my myspace page if anybody is interested in seeing us.  

glenn-k

That link ony got me to a my space account setup- not to yours- glenn.

hobbiest

huh, when I copy/pasted it, I was logged in.  Yeah, bit of a miscalc on my part.  try this

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=50965829.  
You have to be a member to see all of my photos, but you can see a photo of all of us at the beach

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=3259341

If you are a member, go ahead and request friend status (if you want), I promise I won't bite.