Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenhill

Toilet seats made out of blueboard are the answer to those 30 below treks!!!

metolent

Wow Mogie!  That T&G and the tile (is that slate?) looks awesome!  You guys are moving along quickly!

mogie01

Quote from: metolent on November 21, 2011, 12:44:59 PM
Wow Mogie!  That T&G and the tile (is that slate?) looks awesome!  You guys are moving along quickly!
Thanks metolent.  It's tile in the bathroom that looks like slate.  We love the look of slate but wanted something that was comfortable to walk on.

mogie01

This weekend we grouted the bath tub area and the bathroom floor and did some trim work.  We brought in the vanity and installed a light over the mirror and added the faucet and showerhead to the bath tub.  We still have quite a bit to do but it's all starting to come together :)

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

mogie01

We still have few more things to do to the bathroom, trim etc before it's completely done.  This weekend we installed the door to the bathroom closet, caulked around the tub and some more trim work.  We have to pick up more t&g to begin work on the bedroom and plan on doing this in a few weeks.

bathroom closet door

beckhamk

where did you purchase all of your corner and window/door trims?

mogie01

Quote from: beckhamk on December 06, 2011, 09:12:55 PM
where did you purchase all of your corner and window/door trims?

beckhamk, we used a company called Wood Workersshoppe in Commins, Michigan.  Here is a link to their website.  :)

http://www.woodworkersshoppe.com/

metolent

Bathroom looks really great mogie... 

Guessing you might take a break this weekend to get some turns in as I see "your" Crystal Mountain is supposed to open? 

Funny, I stumbled on that site as was checking conditions at "our" Crystal Mountain here in WA.... 

mogie01

Thanks metolent.  The weather hasn't been great for winter sports here in Michigan.  We had a small amount of snow last week but it's already beginning to melt and I hear we are going to have rain this week :(  This Friday is the 6 for 1 day at Boyne Mountain, we usually go every year but I'm not sure if it will be worth it this year, going to play it by ear.

NorthernMich

Cumins MI

Hop and a skip from me...nice pine :)

mogie01

This weekend had a terrible start.  On our way up north, only 10 miles south of our cabin, we hit a patch of black ice and ended up in a ditch on our side :(  The emergency workers were fantastic.  After an hour a tow truck was able to get our truck back on 4 tires and we decided to try starting it up.  She started up first try!!  She runs great, but the whole passenger side took a beating.  We have to drop it off tomorrow at the repair shop and our insurance company will determine if it's cost effective to fix it, since the truck is a 2000.

On a brighter note, we did pick up some more t&g and trim pieces to work on finishing the bathroom and start on the bedroom.

We also took a little time off to do some snowboarding at Crystal Mountain, we deserved it after all we had been through :)

insulation between the bathroom and bedroom

ellbaker

Sorry to hear about the accident. Makes for a long day.

How did you handle the transition from the tile to the wood? I am going to tile the shower stall in my bathroom and haven't came up with a clean way to handle the transition. 

Your place looks great!

Eric

mogie01

Quote from: ellbaker on December 21, 2011, 12:25:45 AM
How did you handle the transition from the tile to the wood? I am going to tile the shower stall in my bathroom and haven't came up with a clean way to handle the transition. 

Your place looks great!

Eric

Thanks Eric.  We used a backer board behind the tile which made it almost flush with the thickness of the wood and then used a bead of caulk that matched the grout to finish the edge.

mogie01

Headed up north Thursday night and stayed until Monday afternoon.  We were able to get a few things done at the cabin while we were there and also some snowboarding.  The bedroom walls are done, ceiling is about 99.97% done (we miscalculated the amount of t&g we needed and were about 2 boards short.  We started on the floor which is 1 x 6 pine which we will stain and finish.

mogie01

Redoverfarm

Make a good Christmas Card next year.  Nice   ;D

metolent

Great shot - I second the Xmas card idea!  Progress looks really great!  Glad to hear you're getting in some snowboarding too...  Over the holiday break, we would go back and forth between working and skiing and skiing won almost every time.   Gotta get some fun in too....    ;D

mogie01

Did a little bit of work on the cabin and a little bit of snowboarding.  We finished laying the flooring in the bedroom, stained it and put the first coat of polyurethane on it.

ellbaker

Looking good. What color of stain did you use on the floor?

dablack

Very nice.  Floor is going to turn out great!

mogie01

Quote from: ellbaker on January 08, 2012, 11:48:50 PM
Looking good. What color of stain did you use on the floor?

Thanks.   We are using Minwax Wood Finish - Special Walnut.

mogie01

This weekend we finished putting the polyurethane on the bedroom floor, and some trim work.  We need to pick up some more wood before we can finish the bedroom.  We built a hearth for the wood burning stove and installed plywood on the wall behind it to install riverrock.  We finally picked up out stove, it's a Jotul. 

THE JOTUL

Redoverfarm

Coming right along.  You will grow to appreciate the "raised" hearth and you back will thank you.

mogie01

This weekend we worked on the trim in the bedroom, we can't finish it until we install the doors, that should be in a few weeks.  We installed insulation in the closet that's in front of the bathroom and then installed the t&g.

This is what we'll be doing for a while, installing the t&g in the livingroom