post to beam

Started by dogneck, July 30, 2008, 04:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

On th 14x24 plan.   On the top side of the hill I was able to get the concrete piers exactly right.  On the lower side, I needed more height, so from the top of the concrete pier to the 6x12 beam, I was going to use 4x4 posts.    I upgraded from the 8" piers to the 10" piers.   I though everything was going good until I decided to use 4x6 posts.     They seemed better suited for a 6" wide beam-  they would line up so that simpson connectors would be flush.    I was a little careless, because the 4x6 simpson connector has a slot in the bottom (rather than just a round hole)  allowing you to slide it to adjust for about 1 ".      So after all the bolts were  in the concrete,  now I find that the slot goes in the other direction, so the posts are not flush with the beam.   I don't know if this is a problem structurally, since it called only for 4x4 posts anyway.   I guess I could get some type of T-connector or L brackets inside.    Any suggestions?
Thanks.

John Raabe

You'll probably have plenty of bearing. Can you add some plywood or 1x shims and then use some metal straps or nailing plates to make a solid connection between the post and the beam?

It won't be pretty but all that is really important is that the load gets carried down the post to the foundation pier and that the beam and post are connected well enough that strong wind or an earthquake bump will not pop the beam off the post. In other words some protection against sidewards forces.

If the post height will allow it you can increase this stability by adding 45ยบ braces to the post and beam connection.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

dogneck

Thanks that is what I'll do.  I'm not too worried about how it looks.  I plan to use some type of skirting, so just the very bottom of the concrete pier will show.