Building Our First House on a $125,000 Budget (200 Framing Pics)

Started by sjdehner, March 22, 2009, 01:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjdehner

Click link for images: http://picasaweb.google.com/WELLWORNPAGE/FramingSequence?feat=directlink

"Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do" -Wendell Berry

Bishopknight

First of all, wow, you guys really kicked some butt, what an ambitious project! I love the pictures, thanks for sharing!

Second, how the heck did you keep the worksite so clean ???  ;D

I bet it was awesome putting up the first wall on the 2nd floor, huh? :)  You were up some serious heights there. Was your wife worried?

Smash your thumb a couple good ones? ( I DID! )

The side of my house is strewn with cardboard, soda bottles, wrappers, cans, caulking bottles ,shingles, you name it  :) 

sjdehner

Jamie was fastidious on the work-site - she would even walk around the house picking up cigarette butts the subcontractors would often toss aside!  :D She's a gem!

She's also not afraid of heights, like I am, so if anyone was worried about the altitude it was most assuredly me. I literally think she could perform hand stands at the edge (while I lay upon my belly for fear of tumbling over).

You know something, I did not whack my thumb even once spiking the entire house. I attribute this in part to my trusty framing hammer, which is larger. Perhaps that's the key? I have hit my thumb numerous times on other projects.  d*

I'll have t check out you page to see if you've posted more pics.

S.
"Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do" -Wendell Berry

MountainDon

Work sites should be clean, it's safer I believe, as well as imparts a sense of pride.  :)

I loath people who toss cigarette butts on others property, including public.  >:(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Alasdair

Outstanding work! You made a great job not only of the build but also of recording it.
Nice one!  :)
Al

soomb

Do you work in the construction trade?  How much did you sub out?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

sjdehner

Hi.

No, we're not in the construction trade (per se) although we have remodeled a condo and house previously (and sold both). This is our first build and we now intend to sell so we can move back home to Western Washington.

We framed the entire house and did all of the interior finish work. We also built the decks and stairs, etc. Machine work we hired out and we had basic rough-ins for plumbing and electrical.

Here's the post discussing some of the work we did ourselves: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=6641.0

And here's the post that goes over what we hired contractors for: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=6645.0

These two posts get into the details pretty well but we're happy to discuss things further, just let us know. There are also a couple of other posts regarding the house/building process at this site.

Are you building?

S.

soomb

Was the move to Maine and the build specifically for a build to sell?

We are not building right now, our time frame was pushed back by the economy.

Thanks for the prompt reply

soomb

Plans... well they keep changing, as plans often do.  I was transferred in 2004 to Las Vegas, NV and once we realized "great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" we began looking up by Bryce and Zion national parks in Utah.  We found a great 20 ac parcel, we were going to build on and consider changing careers in order to live in a smaller town.  Well the market changed, and I was transferred to Phoenix, AZ (a big step up from Las Vegas) and the land is now 7+ hours away by car, and we are renting out our Las Vegas house until things improve, so there went the finances for building. Sooooo then we got pregnant.... so that changes this a bit further as I would like to have a good spot for education as well as culture and socialization, but with the outdoors to enjoy.  And that brings me to sitting here typing.  My family all lives out west and is either 3 hours by car or 1 hour flight and I have to consider how much fun it was when I was young to grow up around family (we had a BIG family...18 cousins with in 20 minutes)so that has us in Phoenix right now for a year or two.  We have began exploring land in the higher elevations but cost is high as there is only so much land that is not state owned and it goes for a premium.  We are also considering a small surf town on the CA coast, but that would have to be a spot with little to no commute for either of us.  so the planning and studying goes on.

That is the short version.

Craig

cbc58

beautiful house.  can I ask why you didn't go with a walkout basement?