Wish us Luck!

Started by Yeti Dog, December 27, 2008, 10:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeti Dog

Well my wife and I have been sitting on the 1/2 cabin plans for almost a year now and it is time to get the ball rolling.  We have the materials list and we were planning on heading to town to get some bids but they are calling for -50.  We have 42 acres in interior Alaska near the road system and began clearing this past summer.  We have got a basic road in and I can get the wheelers in at all times in the summer and I was finally able to get my truck out there this winter.

It will be a process considering we are 120 miles from Fairbanks so if I forget a nail I can't just run to the store.  I have been keeping my eyes on this forum for a bit and have already gotten some great pointers.  We'll keep you posted and appreciate any feedback that anyone may have already (i.e. lower 48 price quotes for the standard materials list, any other big equipment purchases that would be a good idea, and what should I contract out).

Electricity is out of the question since we are about 20K away from a connection.  We are also going to have an outhouse.  Our power will be from solar and generator power.  Yes its dark in the winter but with the proper battery banks, and energy conservation we should be good to go.  We sure aren't the firsts in this area.  We should be saving a considerable amount of time and money with out having these amenities.

Keep the pics coming, we are getting great ideas!
Michael and Amy

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum, Michael and Amy.

Is there a possibility of adding wind power to your off grid system?   You can even build your own - it works day or night if there is wind.  Frozen water won't do much in the winter so that's out I guess.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Yeti Dog

We have definitely considered wind energy where we are.  There is a guy just a few miles away as the crow flies that has about 30 large wind turbins.  Our problem is that we are in the birch and getting a tower up and out of the way of the trees will be very difficult to get started.  We have had the land for a while and even with the trees the midnight sun still gets through with good strength.  Since we will be off grid we are not ruling anything out.

Thanks for the welcome.

glenn kangiser

I put mine up in the middle of a bunch of Oaks.  You need minimum 30' above the tree tops - I went 85 feet.

I pulled a 4" pipe tower up with a gin pole and worked the cables around the trees one at a time.  Took me about 10 hours to stand it by myself. 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

lonelytree

Good luck neighbor to the north. Which road are you near? I am 50 miles from Glennallen and hope to build this summer. Hauling materials in the next few months. I don't envy you on the weather.

Just think, no skeeters.

Mike

Yeti Dog

We are off the Parks Highway.  As you can see I am once again hooked on this forum but now I can message.  So much for Alaska Outdoor Forums.  The wife says I only get one a day.

glenn kangiser

Your wife is very wise to limit you to this forum - we have it all --- [waiting]

Off topics will cover a bit of your outdoors stuff - we have hunters - shooters - everything. :)

lonelytree

Quote from: Yeti Dog on December 28, 2008, 03:46:17 AM
We are off the Parks Highway.  As you can see I am once again hooked on this forum but now I can message.  So much for Alaska Outdoor Forums.  The wife says I only get one a day.

I am also on Outdoors Directory. Great site for true Alaskan info!

There is a guy over there named Roger that put in a lumber yard in Talkeetna. You might see if he will quote your needs. I am using a friend in Glennallen for mine.

Vince appears to be pretty sharp on building in AK.

I rarely listen to the wife. She lets me do what I want because she knows I will do what I want anyways.

Mike

Yeti Dog

My first pic, lets see if it works

rdzone

Chuck

Yeti Dog

Yeti Dog

Squirl

Have you looked into a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine.  They are pretty cheap to build but don't put out as much power.  They can handle turbulent winds from trees though.

glenn kangiser

Cool - you got the pix going.  Lots  of wood there.

Squirl, have you worked with the VAWT?  I have considered one.  Currently a XL1 1kw Bergey.  Will likely build my next one.

Yeti Dog

Now it is getting exciting.  We just got our materials bid back from one of the large box chain stores and with omitting plumbing, electrical, cabinetry, and it looks like the metal roofing, our total was $15,087.  Not to bad for the initial bid.  It's nice to have a dollar amount to start from.

glenn kangiser

That's cool - you going to shop it around?

Yeti Dog

Absolutely.  We are relatively limited on our choices up here in Ak.  I have a bid in with SBS (Spenard Building Supply) in Fairbanks and a place called Northern Lumber.  I will try another SBS in Wasilla, they actually might be a little cheaper.  Delivery will kill me.  I am hoping to borrow a good size trailer and see what I can do on my own.  Its 26 below here at the house right now so that means that it is probably around 35 to 40 below at the property.  Once it starts sustaining around zero I will head up and start dropping some more trees.   Now all I can do is skijour and think about breaking ground!

glenn kangiser

I think steel will break when it's that cold, won't it?   hmm

I could not do that.... I admit it.... I'm a wussy.   [cold]

Yeti Dog

Have most people gone with site built trusses or have you gone with manufactured trusses?  Another question I have is if I were to add a 4' pony wall to the loft how much would that effect the existing design?   I think that the additional space in the loft would be very beneficial since we are not going with any dormers.

I should be getting a second bid back today on the materials list.

Thanks!  It's warming up!  Went from -38 when I went to bed last night to only -15 this morning [cool]

MaineRhino

On our camp we built the roof using standard roofing methods, that is, not using pre-mfg trusses. With the 12 foot walls and 8/12 pitch we found the loft to be very roomy and comfortable. Although the stairs are pretty steep....... d*

I also have a garage at home which we built using the mfg trusses (attic trusses?) which gives us a framed in bonus room over the garage. Having done it both ways, I prefer the old method over the trusses.

Yeti Dog

Rhino thanks for your help.  One reason I was going for the 4' pony was to get rid of the 12/12 roof.  Where I live in Alaska I don't have to worry about a significant snow load.  The snow is so dry that it sluffs easy enough anyway.  We are planning on having our cabin be our full time residence.  No kids, just the wife, a giant sled dog, and a newfoundland.  Still think the loft will be fine?

I just got the bid back from SBS in Fairbanks and they quoted $19,100 for the material list minus trusses, plumbing, electrical (includes delivery 100 miles one way from Fairbanks). 

MaineRhino

Did you take a look at my camp? (link below)    It has the 10' walls, with the loft dropped 2'. That makes the ceiling below at exactly 8'.  I think 8/12, even with shingles and ice/water shield underneath will be sufficient for you while remaining not too steep to work on. We used rafters and not trusses due to the remote access.

My neighbor and a cousin both have Newfoundlands. They are absolute beasts but very loving and harmless, so far....  ;)