My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

One last post before retreating to the mountains...

We had this year's near by lightning miss. Not nearly as close as last years. This one though, blew bark off a good length of the trunk as well as decapitating the ponderosa. There was bark all around up to a distance of some 30 - 40 feet from the tree.

The picture's not the best; the sky was too bright when I took the photo.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Still looks cool.  I wonder if someone up there barked up the wrong tree? hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Well here I am, 5 days and 4 rains later....

We now have a box with a roof on it.  :)

Seeing if the rafter test cut fit. And they do. :o  Wow, a day with some sunshine!   :o

Ridge assembled (3 pieces of 2x8 HemFir) and about 1/3 of the rafters cut and installed. Measured along the rafter run that's a 26 inch overhang.  5:12 pitch

After a couple more days the roof is all sheathed. Just some trimming of the ends to do.

The view from the other end.

The final picture from this morning, taken before having to run back home for some appointments. The skies were threatening to rain yet again. The drip edge is installed; metal roof color is called patina green. Same as on our suburban home so we know it's ours. I had time to put one strip of #30 paper along the eve, then drape a 20 ft wide sheet of 6 mil plastic over the roof to keep the rain out.

The plastic is held down with cut off strips of OSB tacked in place. Yes, the rain may get in the gable ends but there should be much less on the subfloor when it rains.

Going back Sunday probably, with the goal of papering the roof, framing and sheeting the gable ends, and completing the door end wall. Also on the schedule is installing the door and windows. It's the last entire week free before going back to our regular (Tue - Fri) work week.  :(

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Hold on a minute, let me check something.

Yup, I'm still jealous. 

Looking very nice Don.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

Looks great, Don.  Nice tight felt too.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Fast work Don. Looking good!  :)

glenn kangiser

Did anybody say, not bad for an old guy? hmm [crz]

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 08, 2008, 10:14:00 PM
Did anybody say, not bad for an old guy? hmm [crz]
Been thinking that myself!   rofl

I'm home for a couple days because I need the rest. I did have a doctor's appointment late this afternoon. But I wanted a day or two off too.

...and thanks for the kind words guys.

glenn kangiser

It's actually good for an any aged guy, Don. :)

Redoverfarm

Good progress Don.  Glenn I think the PC would be "seniorly challanged".  Don you need to shimmy up the tree and get us a pic of the roof. ;D

glenn kangiser

hmm A friend once told me that I never have been very P/C.  I guess I just don't get it.     d*   [crz]

PEG688

Nice job Mtn D  8)

That IS some tight felt  :o   :o
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Thanks PEG. I've passed the word on to my assistant; DW Karen.

Mad Dog

Great work Don!  I just went through the whole thread, and the progress you've made is definitely inspiring me to get going.  Good luck with the rest of the project. [cool]
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

MountainDon

Got a door!  (two more windows to be installed; one in the center of the end wall (not in the upper area, but down at normal height), the other down at the other end of the side wall (bathroom). The upper gable end area will have an attic access door/hatch. One at the other end as well.

... and windows! (temporary plastic sheeting still on most of the roof. Roofing paper will be completed next trip up.

From inside, looking north towards Redondo Peak (obscured by haze and contrasty lighting). This is the 6 ft x 4 ft window. All windows are sliders, double paned, low-e glass.

MountainDon

Inside view, from the door...

Looking back towards the entrance door... (you can see where the end window will go. Stained glass insert.)

This is the 5 ft x 4 ft window opposite the 6 footer.

MountainDon

In closing, a shot of the south side taken at 1 PM today, illustrating the shadowing of the 26 inch eve overhang. There will be another window at the near end of this wall (bathroom).

glenn kangiser

TheWire

Great work!  Its nice to get the door on and lockable.  A lot less hauling tools around. :D

MountainDon

I agree, but the remoteness of the location makes it most likely that the lock will keep out the honest but curious more than the criminally inclined.   >:(

On the other hand the remoteness makes it much less likely that the anyone will easily come across it. It's not visible from the locked gate at the end of the NF road.

MountainDon

I should point out that once occupied I'll also have a glass/screen outer door installed. That way we can leave the solid panel door in the open position and enjoy the extra daylight and air, when suitable, from the full view storm door.

John Raabe

Mighty tidy place Don. ;D

Looking very good!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sassy

Wow, you are really moving fast!  Looks very nice & also very tidy - great job! 

BTW, Glenn is getting some of his stuff cleaned up, although it's hard to believe that his shop could have gotten so messed up since my son cleaned it a few weeks ago!   :o  I don't know how he does it  [noidea'
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

That's a great looking space Don. Be perfect for a big poker game.

MountainDon

Well, now that we have to go back to working for a living  :(  progress will be measured in smaller steps. Even with a three day weekend (Sat - Mon) every week it's definitly going to sloe down.

This past weekend brought afternoon and evening rains so that enters into the workday as well.

I got the big piece of 6 mil plastic replaced with #30 roofing felt, rolled out and nailed down over the entire roof.

After that I got a start on the electrical. I installed a Square D outdoor box on the east end wall. (The felt's not looking all that tight... after 3 hours of rain, at times driven by winds.

I took a tip from n74tg and mounted the box on standoffs. I made them from grey Carlon conduit with large plated steel washers cemented to one end with caulk. The idea of that is to spread the load over the surface of the paper rather than have the pvc conduit act like a paper punch on the felt. Made sense to me anyways.

When the siding goes on I may slip it under and up to the standoffs, or perhaps slide the Hardi Planks through and re-secure the box with shortened standoffs, or maybe eliminate them. Time will tell how that plays out.