My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on September 02, 2008, 12:17:31 AM

#1:  I did and then forgot... this frame is the upper model of three the mfg offers though. Wheels good to a 150 lb door. Using a hollow core slab should work out okay. I hope.  I'm planning on 5/8 sheetrock on the outside and 1/2 cement board on the inside.

#2: Rain: average annual is about 24 inches. Our location is up to almost 20 so far (includes snow.)

#1: The 5/8" rock and cement brd will help, how may wheels per roller? But your right as little as it will be used (not a full time house) it should be fine.

#2: Whidbey Island lies partially in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountain Range to the west, and has a variety of climate zones. This can be observed by rainfall amounts - wettest in the south with average rainfall of 30 inches (760 mm), driest in the central district of Coupeville with average rainfall of 18 to 20 inches (460 to 510 mm), and turning moister again farther north with average rainfall of 26 inches (660 mm). Microclimates abound, determined by proximity to water, elevation and prevailing winds. Additional variation comes from soil type. The sandy clay and gravely soils of the southern end of the island give way to soils composed of mostly rock at the northern end of the island.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Looks like you are in a desert too --- how do you make it last all year?

We get 25 to 50 inches here and I thought this was desert.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

4 wheels per roller set.

The real desert back here in the 'burbs is an average of 8.5 inches a year. Wonder how that comapres to desdawg's desert?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Random thought:  this building up in the mountains requires a much better grasp of logistics than building something back in the 'burbs. There's no hardware store or big box within 45 - 90 minutes if I forget something.  So far things have worked out fairly well; but I seem to do an awful lot of thinking and list making.

Actually I have several lists, the need it now, the need it next time or the time after that, the "it would be nice to have"list (currently that has another Lithium battery on it) and the "oh crap. I need that now and I don't have it!!" list.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I keep my lists all in a wirebound notebook so I can't lose them.  (The ones I can find.  If I do them on a loose piece of paper they are soon lost).

It ends up being being rather chronological that way.  Now if I just remember to look at it.  I also carry a blank piece of paper and pen to write stuff from the book on so I don't have to carry the book into the store or for a short list.  If I don't write it down when I think of it then it will soon be gone and be a bit before I think of it to write it down again. d* d* d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I miss the days of infallible memory.   :( :(

Redoverfarm

Don I guess that's where the saying comes into play.  A short pencil is better than a long memory.

glenn kangiser

Thinking back I wonder if it has ever been any different -- maybe just not quite as bad.   

As the computer upstairs collects so much more data over the years it takes longer to sort it all out. 

Being a genius is much more time consuming and processor intensive than being normal.  That's the one I'm going with. [crz]

MountainDon

Well dang it! I just realized I made an error and nobody said a thing about it.   :o  I'm talking about flashing the windows.  d* I got the door right. I did it first.  :) I did everything right except one thing on the windows.

Do you see it?

The error is that the strip of membrane flashing across the top of the window is on top of the felt.   d* d*  I believe I did everything else correct...

1. flashing applied on the sill and up the edges 6 inches
2. the felt above the window had angle cuts made at the corners and the flap folded and temporarily taped up.
3. a bead of caulk was applied to the backside of the window top fin, left fin and right fin, but not the bottom fin.
4. the window was inserted and temporarily held with a couple of screws.
5. from the inside the window was shimmed to be plumb.
6. the windows was nailed in place using all the holes in the fins
7. the left and right sides were flashed.
8. here's where I went wrong...  d*  I should have applied the top flashing under the felt flap, and over the top nailing fin.
9. then the felt flap should have been folded down and the angled corner cuts taped.

Isn't that right PEG?  The way it is there is some possibility of water finding its way under the upper edge of the flashing if the adhesive should fail.

It could be worse I suppose. The good thing is I can improve upon the flashing by installing a piece of felt above the window to cover the space from the wall top down to the top of the window. Extending it about a foot left and right of the window sides should suffice.

So if anyone is using this project as a builders guide, be aware. 

d* d* d* d* d* d* d* d*

PEG688

Pretty close Mtn D.

I felt or wrap first , then do the sill with the vycor taking care to flash up the trimmers about 3 or 4 inches, it takes a cut and a fold sort a thing. Then set the window on top of the lower piece  level the sill / bottom then I use the operable sash to plumb or adjust the vertical sides , window , (MOST), do not have adjustable rollers so how ever that window sit on the lower sill is how I adjust the side of the window frame , IF IT"S a slider , different windows have different issues , THEN nail it in I use a nail every 10 inches or so , NEVER NAIL THE HEAD flange , on a wide window I will add two or three nails across the top just above the flange I generally/ aways  use roofing nail 1 3/4" long  the big head just pinches the flange in but the window can flex some so the glass does not crack if some thing settles.

After it's nailed in , then I vycor the sides lapping over the low vycor , an I do tuck the head under the flap like you didn't.

That high up and tucked under that big eave you'll have no issues unless there's a fire and the firemen direct a hose up under the eave AND IF they do that you have bigger issues anyway  :o

Check out the Vycor booklet we have some where here on the site , maybe under that lunch box ??? ???   GLENN!!!!!!!!!Where'd we put that book ?  ??? Oh wait not the JOB site , the web site what a nitwit eh  rofl

Anyway I never caulk in a window or door flange / frame they are a PITA to pull out that way , never have done it that way , and IF you caulk the head you might as well nail-er off as well , but then your never suppose to nail the head are you?

In closing I think your fine Mtn D. Caulk your siding  when it's done and you should not have many / any issues.

Nice felt job! 

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on September 05, 2008, 12:03:22 AM
... you'll have no issues unless there's a fire and the firemen direct a hose up under the eave AND IF they do that you have bigger issues anyway  :o

rofl rofl

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

I had the printed out pdf's pertaining to window and door flashing. I did the door. Great. Then I did the three windows the next day and didn't re-read the pdf's. Brain Fade took over.  d* 

Like I said it could be worse. Like a friend up there who installed his windows over the bare OSB and then applied hardi Panel cement board over it. That's it, no felt, no wrap, no flashing....  :o   No inspection either.

PEG688

Check out the Vycor booklet we have some where here on the site , maybe under that lunch box ??? ???   GLENN!!!!!!!!!Where'd we put that book ?  ??? Oh wait not the JOB site , the web site what a nitwit eh  rofl

Oh come on this has to be one of the best set-up lines ever on C/Plans  d*  Jeesh I crack me up  rofl maybe it's to tricky/ odd /   a humor for you all  :-\ :-*

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on September 05, 2008, 12:22:15 AM

Like I said it could be worse. Like a friend up there who installed his windows over the bare OSB and then applied hardi Panel cement board over it. That's it, no felt, no wrap, no flashing....  :o   No inspection either.

Humm that was money well spent ::) Wait I see a remodeling job for the future  :) I sorta like those kind of HOMO's , HOMe Owners ,

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on September 05, 2008, 12:24:07 AM
Oh come on this has to be one of the best set-up lines ever on C/Plans  d*  Jeesh I crack me up  rofl maybe it's to tricky/ odd /   a humor for you all  :-\ :-*

???  Maybe I'm just dense, tired, today?

What made me realize my error was your very recent post under some other topic where you explained the process and posted a caveat about the picture... the error made on the under the window post. I recalled seeing that image once before with a quote about "the crew screwed the pooch on that one".  

How is it I recalled that but forgot about the details when I did my own?

One thing for sure, the bathroom window will go in the right way this weekend. It came in today; was even correctly sized.   :)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on September 05, 2008, 12:24:07 AM

That has to be Dubya looking for the WMD's he lied about. rofl [rofl2]  I'm slow tonight PEG

MountainDon

And after that window is in I'm going to complete the AC wiring, hook up the generator to the panel and see if it turns into the 4th of July.  ;D  I don't think it will. Then it's on to some plumbing. Hmmm.  ???  Maybe I should complete the plumbing first; so I can put out the fires.   rofl rofl rofl       [crz]

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on September 05, 2008, 12:32:14 AM

#1: What made me realize my error was your very recent post under some other topic where you explained the process and posted a caveat about the picture... the error made on the under the window post. I recalled seeing that image once before with a quote about "the crew screwed the pooch on that one".  

#2: How is it I recalled that but forgot about the details when I did my own?

#1: Ya I prolly said that :-[ hehehheeheh!

#2: It happens you get rushing or wanting to rush and before ya know it you've screwed the pooch! I just sheeted a little addition got just about done and realized the boss had ordered 9 foot sheets but the lumber yard stacked them under the 8 foot ones for the roof . I did see the pile was , WHAT I thought , slide like a deck of cards as one end stuck out about a foot  ::) , oh well next time maybe the yard guys will help me out and stack the load right!  But ya I WAS A NITWIT, what ya gonna do  d*     d*  It happens  :) Or it it $hit happens? Where's Forrest Gump ? 

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on September 05, 2008, 12:48:28 AM
It happens  :) Or is it $hit happens? Where's Forrest Gump ? 

I do feel better.  ;)

glenn kangiser

Life is like a box of chocolates...

soomb

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 05, 2008, 01:27:05 AM
Life is like a box of chocolates...
That is a great little saying... It should be in a movie!  ;D
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

glenn kangiser

PEG688

Lets see coined the "smiley", wrote the main word to "let it be", $hit happens or "it happens", etc etc. Yup only in the movies!

Talk about thread drift  :o  ::)

But then who builds a 15."75" x 30   but Mtn D  d*

Now back to smoke checking that wiring Mtn D.  [cool]

ScottA

Speaking of smoke checking. A large transformer exploded today up at one of the dams and knocked our power out. A crew came by the my cabin to switch the power to another feeder from a different dam. The main power line crosses my property. When they closed the high voltage switch on the pole it arced bigtime. Was like a lightning bolt. Scared the crap outa me and the power guys. They all took off running. They managed to close it on the second try and got our power back on.