My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

K snuck up on me and took a picture of me hard at work.

Looking east down the south interior wall... outlets and switch boxes all in a row. Hopefully that back window will be in this week.

An shot of the open service panel with three of the circuits wired. There will be a fourth.

The final spot will mount a 2 pole 30 amp breaker backfed into the circuit. This will serve as the AC mains shutoff/disconnect. Its feed will come from the inverter. There will be a small separate DC box for the limited DC power use circuits. More on that later as I get to it.

I'll do a blow-by-blow on the PV panels/battery bank/controller/inverter/etc as I get to it as well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Wow! You're really making great progress Don.  :)

MountainDon

I still have to close off the rafter spaces. Somewhat like considerations we were in a bit of a hurry to get enclosed against the persistent rains.

It rained a lot Sunday night after I finished the roofing felt!

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

I knew I didn't like working on roofs when I got into this project.  :(

So far (after building the rafters, sheathing, etc all myself, I can safely say I've confirmed that opinion.  ;D

... looking for someone to hire to do the metal.  :)

Sassy

You've definitely made good progress - looks really nice!  At least you can camp out in there now if you need to :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Next weekend I need to get the eves completed so I can then get the ceiling in, then the wood burning stove.

And so on................

glenn kangiser

Looks like it's going fast to me, Don.

PS --- don't make me look bad on the inverters, batteries, solar, etc.   OK? [crz] d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I promise I will simply do things my way, as you do yours.  :D    ::)

glenn kangiser

I was experimenting without enough guidance, Don.  Somebody has to do the rough stuff here.  d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Thank, Don -- I thought maybe you would say --- excuses excuses.... [crz]

It really did grow that way.  ::)

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 26, 2008, 01:38:29 AM

It really did grow that way.  ::)

I have no doubt of that. It's a very common phenomenon. We have a 4x4 club member with a Scout whose electrical system it a rabbit warren of wires and aluminum foil wrapped fuses.  ::)

glenn kangiser

It starts with a problem - then a temporary solution or experiment that works then is left because it works. d*

Someday a possible future revision can incorporate the experiments into the new upgraded system along with added improvements and maybe even the addition of added safety devices. (Fire axe can be mounted on a nearby wall).

Woodswalker

A few months back, Fine Homebuilding had a good article about cement-board siding, including proper installation techniques and tools.  You can go to their website and do a search for it.  Habitat for Humanity here has been using Hardi Plank on its homes the past couple years, and I've been impressed with the product.  That type of siding would be a very good choice for your fire-hazard setting.

MountainDon

Woodswalker, thanks for the tip on Fine Homebuilding and the cement plank installation.

On another front, I've located a local mountain resident who will do my metal roofing installation for food and fuel.   :o

Actually that's a slight stretch... he'll do it for $250 splitting it with a friend. Hmmm, I guess that pretty much is food and fuel.

They've both done roofs I've seen.

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

There are some hungry folks  in "them thar hills".    ;)

If they do as good as job as I expect I'll be giving them a bonus. Plus it'll be cash money, no trails to be followed, so it's worth more than regular money.

We first called the guy that did the roof on the suburban home. He started at $800 and came down to $600. Then we called some more names we got from the metal wholesaler and got down to $350. The first guy wouldn't budge; I believe he still has jobs lined up. Then we thought of a son of one of our neighbors up there.....

glenn kangiser

That's the way to do it -- beat the bushes for the hungry ones -- that are still credible.

MountainDon

I didn't get the roofing material... hope to pick that up during the week and have the roofers up next weekend. It was just as well we didn't plan on doing the roof this past weekend. We went up Sat AM. After we arrived it began to cloud up. I worked at blocking off the spaces between the rafters where they intersect the upper side walls. There must be a real name for these, but to me it's rafter blocking; keeps the weather and birds out, the insulation in. I installed some of those durovent foam plastic thingies to allow the insulation to be packed in and still have ventilation from the soffits.

Sunday morning it began to lightly sprinkle rain about 6 AM. It rained off and on all day. There wasn't an hour that it didn't at least lightly drizzle. At times it rained fairly hard, nothing like a monsoon, but the water added up. Unfortunately the rain gauge gave up part thru the day at .77 inch. It rained through till 8 PM or so. A dark and dreary day. I played in the water and mud making a new drainage canal.   ;D   (Then it rained from about 3 AM Monday till about 8 AM.)

Fortunately I had inside work to do. I determined the exact position for the wood stove chimney and built the support for it. When the roofers come I'll drill a hole through the marked spot and cut the hole. I did the same for the Sun-Mar vent stack.

Now then, those members/guests with long memories will recall my harsh opinionated comments regarding pocket doors some time back.   http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3818.msg43974#msg43974

Yes, that is a pocket door frame.  :-[  This bathroom is rather compact and the pocket door has advantages for someplace like that. We're still waiting for the bathroom window that goes under the pink foam; the first one arrived but it was not the window I ordered.  d* A replacement should arrive this week if all goes well.

After framing the bathroom walls I completed most of the cabin 120 VAC wiring. Today I measured the wiring requirements for the 12 and 24 VDC circuits. As well I measured and made a parts list for the propane gas and the water lines.

To finish off this report here's a 45 second video, taken during one of the moderate rain showers.

glenn kangiser

That looks really wet, Don.  I thought you lived in the desert.

MountainDon

Yeah, but that is the mountains north of the desert.

There were mushrooms erupting everywhere it seemed.

The highway department trucks were out on highway 4 heading south with their snow blades. They're handy for pushing the dirt run off off the roadway.

glenn kangiser

I wish I knew enough about mushrooms to get the right ones to eat, but even the ones who know don't always do so well so I guess I'll leave the free ones --- don't need that one way trip yet.

MountainDon

I've noticed the squirrels eat some but leave others alone.

I'm with you on the one way ticket avoidance.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on September 01, 2008, 11:11:31 PM

#1: I worked at blocking off the spaces between the rafters where they intersect the upper side walls. There must be a real name for these, but to me it's rafter blocking; keeps the weather and birds out, the insulation in. I installed some of those durovent foam plastic thingies to allow the insulation to be packed in and still have ventilation from the soffits.

#2: Now then, those members/guests with long memories will recall my harsh opinionated comments regarding pocket doors some time back.   http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3818.msg43974#msg43974

Yes, that is a pocket door frame.  :-[ 

#1: Bird blocks , vent blocks , anti-rotation blocks same animal. Generally installed before the sheathing goes on the roof. Way easier d*

#2: Did you review the pocket door thread I did? Seems maybe you didn't , those wood frames tend to be more trouble some. And have lesser / not as good wheels and track.

Use a hollow core door , less weight,  less strain on those attaching / weak parts.   

You probably get more annual rain then we do here. So much for nicer weather, eh!
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on September 02, 2008, 12:02:49 AM

#1:  Generally installed before the sheathing goes on the roof. Way easier d*

#2: Did you review the pocket door thread I did? Seems maybe you didn't , those wood frames tend to be more trouble some. And have lesser / not as good wheels and track.

Use a hollow core door , less weight,  less strain on those attaching / weak parts.   

You probably get more annual rain then we do here. So much for nicer weather, eh!

#1... this is what happens when I couldn't get started before the rainy season. Too much rush to get things sheathed to keep the water off the deck. 

#2... I did and then forgot... this frame is the upper model of three the mfg offers though. Wheels good to a 150 lb door. Using a hollow core slab should work out okay. I hope.  I'm planning on 5/8 sheetrock on the outside and 1/2 cement board on the inside.

Rain: average annual is about 24 inches. Our location is up to almost 20 so far (includes snow.)