Quick question on wind turbine mounting

Started by EcoHeliGuy, August 09, 2009, 05:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoHeliGuy

Ok so I have never seen this and was wondering if anyone had any reason why.

How come people don't use a telephone type pole to mount a turbine? its high and strong. and relatively easy to install.

Only side effect I see is that fact to service the turbine, you would need to either get the same pole climbing gear a hydro company uses, or someone with a boom truck.  ???

glenn kangiser

Mainly because they are normally not tall enough.

A wind turbine to work effectively needs to be at least 30 feet above any turbulence producing objects nearby.

Another thing is that the wind at 100 feet is way stronger than the wind at 30 feet - maybe 3 times, so in marginal wind areas it is important to get the turbine higher.  Mine is mounted at 85 feet on top of a ridge.  That also is not totally ideal as upslope wind can come in from underneath striking the turbine at an angle... but that is all I have and it is not a problem most of the time.  Noisy when it happens is the main issue I see.

A place where a pole could work is where you are in a strong wind area and are not concerned with getting the added advantage of stronger winds at greater height.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

EcoHeliGuy

Ha ha I'm temporary in one of those places (Canadian prairies) and I want back out of here so fast  c*

Alberta is on the wrong side of both mountain ranges.

glenn kangiser

Well - there is why it seemed OK to you. :)

You could pivot mount the pole at the base and guy it with wires if you wanted a way to get it up and down - I did that with my 85 footer.  A pole would work easier as the pipe is like spaghetti as it is going up.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

EcoHeliGuy

ya a friend asked me about the pole for his set up, and I couldn't think why not, so if might be the way to go for him.