Squirrels in the attic or bats in the belfry?

Started by Okie_Bob, December 14, 2006, 07:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okie_Bob

Hope that got Glenn's attention?
Found I have squirrels in the attic and need a good solution to getting rid of them. Don't think the city would approve of me shooting the little suckers and I don't really care for the taste anyway. (Don't believe I would anyway, never have tried them and don't intend to either!)
I have built traps before in other houses I've owned. Built the first out of galvanized screen material. Got the squirrel but, he ate his way out thru the screen in seconds. Hae used old auto license plates to cover the holes they make to enter the house but, they just move to another location and eat a new hole.  Don't want to use a bait to kill them and then have to live with their scent for the weeks it takes to go away.
Must be a better way, anyone have any helpful hints?
PS: I found a great new roach spray...it's called Bengal and available from Home Depot..says on the label that it 'disrupts their life cycle' yep, sure does, it kills the suckers better than anything I've ever heard of before! We have lots of them at the lake and it's a constant battle to keep them under control.
OKie Bob

glenn kangiser

BoB, if it was bats in the belfry, you know I posted an article on that -- got you covered.  I think if you are around to keep him from eating through the box, the box trap my granddad used to make may do that trick.  It can be made from 2x material if you like so he can chew for longer before he gets out.  It is also posted.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1134805056

We have successfully caught skunks in this trap along with various other critters -- put the bait of your varmints choice in the back of it.  Remember - the little dude will be alive in there so do as you see fit with him.

On a larger modified version of this, I accidentally caught 2 deer while trying to catch a coyote.  Trying to release them without getting horned or kicked while in my birthday suit was quite an ordeal.  It was about 4 in the morning. :-/

I caught a bear that was eating my chickens two times but it tore out both times.  Finally had to shoot it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dimitri

If you dont want to shoot them with a rifle like a 22 considered a cheap 177 or 22 caliber pellet gun ?? Virtually noiseless and will get the job done. :)

Traps work too, just remember to check on them, I've been to places with live mice traps that smelled bad because they forgot to check the traps.  :o

Dimitri