Corded drills worth buying?

Started by Jared Drake, December 13, 2006, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Drake

I've got a Harbor Freight 18V cordless drill and a Black and Decker Versapak 7.2V drill. I've been selling plasma for extra money lately and I want to spend it wisely. Are corded drills worth having? I've never owned one and if a DeWalt cordless drill would be better, I'll save for that. It'll be a long time before I'm ever doing anything away from my house, so dragging a cord around isn't a problem. Do corded drills have as much power? More? I'm going to end up buying a drill (or just new batteries), compound miter saw and possibly a plunge router. I was given a table saw, and depending on how good it ends up being, I may buy a table saw. My plans right now are for a built-in entertainment center in our living room and an entryway bench, to give you an idea of what I'm going to do. Anyway, please help with the drill issue.
Jared

glenn kangiser

Corded drills are generally stronger than battery drills.  I have used several Harbor
Freight drills and the lighter ones don't hold up well under heavy use.  

For a pretty good relatively cheap drill with a screw driver clutch I like the Ryobi.  I used  them on the job where we drilled near 3000 holes by hand with good results.  Seems they were about $39.00

I have been unhappy with the DeWalt line - high priced Black and Decker stuff that holds up a little better.  Their 18 volt stuff is overpriced and batteries fail too soon and are way too expensive.  I have broke multiple tips off their 1/2 inch electric impact wrench.  Rigid makes a better impact.  

I am currently trying the Ryobi 18v portable stuff and have to say that it is performing better than the $600 DeWalt kit.  Their stuff was on sale at $129 for sawzall type saw 5 1/2 inch circular, drill w/screw clutch, light and vacuum cleaner, 2 batteries and charger, and large heavy duty carrying bag.

Makita makes a small in size heavy duty 1/2 inch drill that will tear your arms off.  This is the D handle one - not the pistol grip.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Part  of my problem with the Dewalt 18v cordless is their $90 (for one) batteries don't last very long and soon don't take a good charge.  I don't think I should have to be a rocket scientist or wealthy to keep my DeWalt stuff working.

I tried the Ryobi because their 18v batteries are 2 for $40 and at this point are beginning  to perform better than my Dewalts did at less than 1/4 of the cost.  I haven't had a problem with one of the tools yet -- the Vacuum shoots a bit of dust but I didn't buy the kit for it anyway.

I have a mechanic friend who agrees that the Ryobi's are above average quality for economy priced tools.  I'm not saying they won't fail.  I'm just saying that at the price it is more easily affordable if they do .  The only problem so far is on the big job, one of the grips on the keyless chuck came loose.  That was understandable with the abuse we gave it.

In fairness, when I tear up the Dewalt impacts, it is under extremely heavy use - anchor nuts on structural steel with a heavy socket.  Its just that others seem to do better and the Rigid has near twice the power for less money.  Most of the Dewalt stuff is fair under medium heavy use.  It's just that when I spend that much for Dewalt 18v stuff I expect a lot more out of it than it will provide.

I have had good experience with Milwaukee, most of my Makita stuff, most of my Bosch and Rigid.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Doug Martin

QuoteFor a pretty good relatively cheap drill with a screw driver clutch I like the Ryobi.  I used  them on the job where we drilled near 3000 holes by hand with good results.  Seems they were about $39.00

I've got one a Ryobi corded drill and I beat the crud out of it gut remodeling my house and it has stood up to the abuse.  The only complaint I would have is the variable speed range on the trigger is not that wide -- getting it to go slow to screw in things like brass screws slowly so you don't wallow out the head can be a little tricky but doable (I know I should just do it by hand).

MountainDon

I've loved cordless drill motors ever since I discovered the first Makita many years ago. However, I still favor 120 VAC for heavy duty uses. I've got 2 Milwaukees rangingone 10 yrs old, the other 20 years old: a hammer drill and a rt angle hole hawg. Super machines.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dimitri

I only buy corded tools, call me old fashioned but I dont like batteries on things.  :)

Having said that I do own a Craftsman Cordless drill I got for free as a gift and love I dont got to go running around for a plug but I rarely use it for more then a dozen holes in odd/different locations to save alittle time.  ;)

Dimitri

JRR

I also like the 120v Ryobi 3/8 drill ... was disappointed with the Dewalt.  The Ryobi has one of the slowest slow-speeds on the market ... important for running screws ... though I agree a trigger limit would be nice feature.

John_M

Way off topic...sorry to be nosey...but what is the going rate for plasma these days??? :-/

I did not know you could sell it?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Jared Drake

I make 240$/month selling plasma. Yep, you can sell it. They're even nice enough to pump your old blood right back into your arm.
Jared

PEG688

Nows heres a guy willing to sell his Plasma  :o  [highlight] for tools [/highlight] ;D   You ROCK  dude  ;D :o :o  Who'da  thunk  :-?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

desdawg

The best cordless drill driver I've had was a Skil. Someone stole it and I have since had lots of junk. I spent some time with my multimeter this past weekend testing chargers. I was cursing the drills and the chargers were the problem. I had an 18 volt charger that was reading 36 volts, 6 volt chargers reading 4.5 volts and the saga goes on. When one fails you have the charger complete with charge controller, the battery and the drill motor. For the most part all you know is that it isn't working.  :-/
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Okie_Bob

Gee, looks like I'm in the minority here...as always!
I prefer 120V hand tools as long as I have 120V available!!! duh---
Bought the $39 Ryobi about a year ago and the chuck fell apart after
minimal usage over that year's period. I couldn't fix it and with only $39
invested went to Home Depot in search of the ultimate drill.
Found the DeWalt 18V model complete with two lithium-ion batteries on sale
and carried it home. I plugged in the battery for it's maiden charge and have
been using it ever since and absolutely love it!
Just goes to show you why there are multiple manufacturers of most everything,
especially tools!
One question??????????? Does anyone know where you can buy a really good
phillips head driver? I used to be able to get them with a carbide tip but, have looked
everywhere for one without success. I love the drivers that come with the new DeckMate deck screws. If you have ever had to screw deck boards down with regular deck screws you thru pressure treated wood, you know what a frustrating experience that can be. With the DeckMate screw driver head and screws it is a breeze. Expensive but, well worth the price.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

I haven't tore up too much of the DeWalt equipment as far as the cordless stuff goes.  Just the batteries make me mad.  My 2 original batteries wont hold a charge for more than about 2 minutes.  I went for a special deal at Lowe's - got their bait and switch routine-- don't have the two for a cheap price but have one for $90.

I have had 2 of their 18v flashlights with the flex gooseneck go bad - one from near the start.  I am 45 to 75 miles depending on which way I go from the store, and don't think to take them back or try to get warranty on them.

Amanda_931

I think the newer DeWalt batteries are better than the ones that came with my set (also Glenn's).  and I've always suspected that that bait-and-switch deal may have been with the older type batteries.

I'm in favor of cordless drills.  Don't know about drill-drivers.

It's been nice, a couple of times, to have  two drills--one to drill pilot holes, one to put in the screws.

No idea where to get good quality phillips bits.  I've worked places where we went through a couple a day.

Okie_Bob

Sorry to take so long to responc, was painting all weekend down at the lake and no internet there.
Glen, the $90 batteries are probably lithium ion and by far the best you can get. My new DeWalt came with them and hence, no problems at all........yet! Don't believe you can get them any cheaper than that.

Amanda, I'm beginning to think maybe my old age is causing some short circuiting in
my head, I clearly recall buying carbide tipped phillips head drivers for my drills years ago. Sure can't find one now and no one at any hardware store I've been too even recalls ever seeing one. Could it be??????????? Naw, just not looking in the right place yet!
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

I think carbide is too brittle to be used directly for a screwdriver tip.  Maybe some good alloy, Bob?

That may be the difference on the batteries.  The Ryobi's are NiCad. Possibly the old DeWalts were too.

Daddymem

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

glenn kangiser

I checked reviews to see if it was just me on the Ryobi and DeWalt battery thing.

I found some that agree - others that are just happy with the Ryobi's and one that was a bit disappointed with some of the batteries being a bit hard to unsnap from the tool.

Ryobi
18 Volt Battery 2-Pack

Model P101
Price: $39.97/ea    Note-- under $20 per battery.  GK

Overall Rating:             5 out of 5
great products, September 28, 2006
By ford123 from wisconsin (read all my reviews)

"the ryobie one tool cordless tools are the best things iv ever bought, i am a contractor and i use the drill. skillsaw,and sawzall every day. the batteries last longer than my 18 volt dewalt and the one hour charge time gets a new battery ready almost as fast as you can drain one. the skillsaw is a battery drainer but no worse than any other cordless saw i have ever used(i think iv used every one on the market)"

Was this review helpful to you?  Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)
Ryobi batteries, September 28, 2006
By JackJ from Medina, Ohio (read all my reviews)

"These batteries an NiCad technology. They work well and are a great value in the twin pack."

Was this review helpful to you?  Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)
Great Buy!, July 27, 2006
By Mike17 from OH (read all my reviews)

"Sold all my DEWALT tools and traded to ryobi. I love the tools! these batteries are dirt cheap and perform just as good as the so called "best""

Ryobi Battery Review, May 28, 2006
By Jack from Alabama

"They work great. They last a lot longer if you don't keep them in the charger 24/7. I learned the hardway."

Overall Rating:             4 out of 5
Can't beat the price, November 3, 2006
By carpenter from Jackson, WY. (read all my reviews)

"I have been a professional carpenter for the past 35 years. Most 18 volt batteries cost between $60-$90 each. Typically they last about 2 years with frequent heavy professional use. If these last one year with frequent heavy use, they are a great deal. For the average home user, these Ryobi tools are very good and an excellent value."

The reviews agree with what I've found including the occasional unsnapping problem but it isn't too bad.  GK

Link to reviews.  Click the Read Reviews link on the page - note multiple pages of reviews.

williet

I love my DeWalt 18v and the batteries hold up just fine. So far, it's the best drill I've ever owned.

hunter63

My 2 cents:
If your just going to drill a few holes, cordless, my choice Milwaukee 18v, (have a lot of drills, saws, lights , radio etc).
If you going to use it all day, corded, still my choice Milwaukee, (hole shooter/hammer drill, sawzall, port-a band).
Heavy duty hammer drills, Hilti
"Ya Git" what you pay for, life is too short not to buy the best. Only cost a little more to go first class.

P.S. Had been buying Craftman tool for ever, garage looked like a Sears ad.
Not any more, built buy a bidder, chucks won't hold a bit unless you use their hex shank. IMO junk.

Okie_Bob

Glenn, as one of the replies you copied says....NICAD batteries with the Ryobie...the DeWalt (at least the newer ones) use Lithium Ion batteries...huge difference...much shorter charge time and much longer life. Lithium Ion is much more expensive but, if you are really using them, they are worth it. If you don't need a lot of charge then almost anything will do.
And you are probably correct about the phillips head drivers with carbie tips. But, I'd swear I used to buy them a long time ago. Right now, I can't find anything other than the standard old cheap 'steel' tips...not sure what they are...and I go thru them pretty quickly. I'd pay good money to get one that would last a few months.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

You are right on the NiCads.  LI does not seem to be an option with the Ryobi.

I think the steel tips are high carbon - usually break rather than bend.  I shattered a few carbides in my lathe - very brittle and hard.

Maybe we will find some good screw driver tips somewhere - some alloy.