Harbor Freight Tools

Started by APG, December 01, 2006, 01:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartholomew

I've never tried the Craftsman power tools but the hand tools are alright. Sears replaced one screwdriver (I broke the tip off using it as a pry bar) years after purchase under the lifetime warranty, no questions asked. I was tempted by a deal on an impact driver but decided against it...seemed pretty underpowered at 900 in-lbs or so.

MountainDon

Craftsman was probably the first power tool I ever bought; or maybe Black & Decker. Seems to me they were a lot more affordable than whatever else was offered 40 years ago. But 25 or so years ago the proliferation of Japanese tools brought tool prices down and ever since I've bought a variety of brands. Looking at everything I have that plugs in or recharges, I must have more than a dozen brands. Guess I'm a marketing guys puzzle, or nightmare.

desdawg

I saw some info-mercials about the Drill Doctor not too long ago and gave it some thought. But you know how it is buying some of that TV advertised stuff. Here today and gone tomorrow. So not knowing anything more than what I saw on the tube I decided to pass. Now that their name has come up here with some kudos maybe I will rethink that proposition. Mucho gracias Glenn.

glenn-k

De nada, desdawg.  I'm pretty good with a grinder but my guys needed something they could sharpen bits hundreds of times with easily.  It really does a great job.  I'm not sure if they all do split points or not but, that is the one you want.  The split points drill much faster and only take another second to do.

desdawg

They seem to have a variety but don't give the same specs on all of the models so it is kind of hard to compare. The Journeyman 400 has a rebate but it would never get here in time to take advantage of it. One tells you the hp and rpm but the others don't so you can't really see what the differences are in that respect. But some are prettier than others......... :-/

Amanda_931

Might want to find out if the rebate is for "purchased by" such and such a date or "paperwork sent in by"....

Not infrequently it is the former.

And that is a totally different kettle of fish.

hobbiest

Drill doctor works well, but only goes up to 3/8 I believe.  Works much better to regrind on a bench grinder if you know how.  There are a couple of tricks to it.  I learned in about 5 minutes, and could teach in the same, but, you'd have to take a trip to NH.  Find a machine shop, older or rural ones are usually the best for lost arts like this, and ask if the resident old-timer will teach you.  Then use the money you save by not buying the drill doc, and buy a bench grinder!  Like I always say, you can sleep in a car, but you can't drive a house.  Of course, houses are more enjoyable to sleep in...

glenn-k

There is an optional adapter that goes up to 3/4.  I am pretty good with a grinder too and in the shop we made a sharpening adapter that would do big ones -2" or so- as my son was doing small time commercial sharpening for a while.  

MountainDon

I just broke down and ordered the Drill Doctor 750X... I need that 1/2 to 3/4" capacity, those bits are pricey and my manual sharpening skills let something to be desired. Ordered from Drill Doctor store     http://www.drilldoctorstore.us/drilshar.html    for  119.95 plus 5.50 shipping. I'll let ya'll know my opinion when it gets here... tho' I feel I'll likely share Glenn's enthusiasm for the product.

Dimitri

I just use a pedistil grinder to sharpen tool bits. My shop teacher taught me how and I can do it quiet well right now!  ;D

Also I dont buy any drills with fancy coatings on them, because the first time you grind the tip to make it work agian the coating is gone.  :o

Dimitri