20 X 40 1.5 log cabin - our latest pictures

Started by chatycady, August 18, 2006, 09:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatycady

Amanda_931

someone who talks (or is it types) a lot

But I think Sassy and I are Goddesses.

glenn-k

The forum software automatically moves you up to a new class after you have talked or typed so much, eh?, Amanda.  (I still will not grovel, Goddess member or not.) :)

Amanda_931

Glen, you don't have to, you're an ADMINISTRATOR with 2000 more posts than I have.

glenn-k

Now you had to go and remind me who talks the most around here. :-/

chatycady

Here's a couple more pictures. Got the wood stove in however it's a little smokey. I imagine we need a taller chimney. Anyone have suggestions? We will have to brace it on the outside. Right now we have about a 5 foot chimney outside. A total of around 12' from top of stove to top of chimney. Do we need more?

and the insulation

glenn-k

Standard is 2 feet above the highest point within a 10 foot radius.  Other conditions can affect that.  If the wind blows against the side of the house that the chimney is on it can create high pressure causing it to want to go into the chimney rather than around the house - any way to the low pressure on the other side.  Getting it taller could get away from that.  Sometimes a different weather cap is necessary - a wind rotated one or vacu-cap may help.

Note that paint on new woodstoves may smoke a bit too until it gets fully cured.

chatycady

THanks for the info. I don't think we got the stove hot enough and I believe our logs were a little too large. Today we got a good coal bed going and used smaller diameter logs. No smoke, however we are unable to open the doors and use the fire screen, so will extend the pipe another 2 or more feet. Hope that cures the problem. Toasty warm inside, but then it's been real mild here this winter.

Got more plumbing done and hung some recessed lights in the loft. My son helped a bunch this weekend.

Happy New Year All!

Bouncer

Chaty,
You might want to watch the back walls on that wood stove. It doesn't look like you
 any protection from the heat and can catch on fire.
Kevin

chatycady

Thanks for the concern, however we made sure we were far enough away. We followed all the guidelines set by the manufacturer.  Plus we bought a stove thermometer to make sure we don't overfire. The walls were warm but never hot.

Chaty.

MountainDon

As long as you strictly follow the stove manufacturers guidelines you should be okay. BTW, what is the brand of stove (if you stated it beforem I missed it)   :)

There are ways to further reduce the required clearances but they'd cover up those nice purty logs    :-/

chatycady

It's a quadra fire Isle Royal. We spluged on it and it really is beautiful. Have warming shelves to put on it yet.
Thanks for asking and looking at the pictures!

chatycady

Waste pipe and venting is just about done. Good start on the bathroom.

Chaty.

southernsis

Great looking stove and the work you have done on your place is wonderful. Do you have a web address for the stove?

Sassy

Beautiful stove, I love how you can watch the fire.  Your place is really coming along great  :)

chatycady

WWW.QUADRAFIRE.COM

I think that will get yu where yu want.

This is the Isle Royal model.

Thanks for looking!

chatycady

Here's two of the 5 benches my husband made for the cottage.

One pine and one cedar

They seat 4 grandchildren or 3 adult children! Now I've got him thinking about a rustic pine or cedar trestle table.

Chaty

glenn-k

chatycady

We got snow!!!!! :D ;D ;D

desdawg

QuoteBeautiful stove, I love how you can watch the fire.  Your place is really coming along great  :)
I agree about watching the fire. That to me is the biggest drawback to wood stoves. I like an open fireplace, however inefficient. That is just me. It needs to be more than just a heating appliance to suit my tastes. That one is very nice.

Amanda_931

Would playing with a rocket mass heater make up for no visible flames?

glenn-k

Yes - you can fiddle with the sticks ( fiddlestix) and even lean over the the fire and inhale. :)

desdawg

My first priority is to be warm!  ;) Psychologically I am warmer if I can see the fire. Physically I am warmer if I have just cut and carried the wood. Then there is the old Native American addage that says:
Indian builds small fire, stays warm. White man build big fire, stays warm carrying wood.