Foundation for Surface Bedrock

Started by rock, February 09, 2007, 06:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 22, 2009, 09:17:49 AM
Whitlock do you recall what they used to use to embed pipe and steel into concrete and rock before the advent of epoxy.  My Dad had once told me how they did it with something like phospourus/lead  (?) around the post.

You can usually tell if the rock is suitable when you first start drilling or go out to a surround area and take a sledge to it.  Easily fractures or flakes and it will not usually work.  Believe it or not a lot of rock are more pourus than you think.  If you don't think so put a river rock near a flame/fire and chances are that it will break apart.

Interesting that you mentioned that John.  I remember my grandmother telling me that when she was young her father was a mason and built fireplaces for the Dorchester House in Lincoln City.  It was her and maybe other kids job to go to the river or beach and build a big bonfire and heat the rocks up in it.  The ones that exploded would not be suitable to build a fireplace with.  [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Rick, Send that ol' nasty rusty yellow stuff down here, we'll get rid of it for you.

I remembered a bit of the anchoring was sal ammoniac and iron - then found the article I am posting here under the fair use part of the copyright law.  I don't want to lose it.  Copyright is property of it's owner.  Educational use only here.  Sulfur is a part of it but not molten in this case.

I remembered reading about anchoring heavy machinery to concrete with this mix - although you could make your own rather than buying it.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 22, 2009, 09:34:26 PM
Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 22, 2009, 09:17:49 AM
Whitlock do you recall what they used to use to embed pipe and steel into concrete and rock before the advent of epoxy.  My Dad had once told me how they did it with something like phospourus/lead  (?) around the post.

You can usually tell if the rock is suitable when you first start drilling or go out to a surround area and take a sledge to it.  Easily fractures or flakes and it will not usually work.  Believe it or not a lot of rock are more pourus than you think.  If you don't think so put a river rock near a flame/fire and chances are that it will break apart.

Interesting that you mentioned that John.  I remember my grandmother telling me that when she was young her father was a mason and built fireplaces for the Dorchester House in Lincoln City.  It was her and maybe other kids job to go to the river or beach and build a big bonfire and heat the rocks up in it.  The ones that exploded would not be suitable to build a fireplace with.  [waiting]

Actually Glenn I think the reason they cracked was that they were pourous and there was water or moisture absorbed into them.  When heated they produced steam which exploded the rock. Although there is a lot of people that do use them as veneer stone on fireplaces but not actually close to the firebox.

glenn kangiser

Many of the rocks in our area were about 8" dia and you couldn't tell one from the other without looking (exploding versus non-exploding -).

I wonder if it also involved uneven stresses due to the heat, as they were harder than the back of my head... [waiting]

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 22, 2009, 10:04:17 PM
Rick, Send that ol' nasty rusty yellow stuff down here, we'll get rid of it for you.

Sorry Glenn can't do that.  We wouldn't have any Steelhead Sinkers then.  All joking aside Whit I think I would really have had a heart attack if I would have ever found anything like that.

Interesting read Glenn, good to know.  According to a quick search sal ammoniac is apparently flux?  I really wonder how stable this stuff was and is it available today?  Some one ought to write a book on these old fixes and remedies for common problems.  Maybe there is and I just have not hooked up with it.  But if the world economy continues to slide we all are going to be looking for all the tricks we can just to get by.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Whitlock

Even though you were joking I did fine a 1/2 oz. nugget when I was fishing the river once. Went back 6 or 7 times and never found another speck.

One thing about gold it is not always were you look but it is always were you find it heh

Darn thread jumpers we need to get back on track d*

Sorry Mike
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

glenn kangiser

Search Google Books for the old downloadable interesting ones on old technology of all types- I really like the ones from the 1800's --reasonably low tech on a lot of them.

MikeOnBike

I'm offline for a few days and this thread gets real chatty.

Engineers designed the Tacoma Narrows bridge, experience teaches us not to do that again.  I'm a big fan of experience.

We haven't had any earthquakes recently but the Yellowstone hot spot did travel through the area about 13 million years ago.

No septic, very little soil except for near the creek.  We will have a composting outhouse and greywater in the cabin.  I can run greywater from the cabin away from the creek another hundred feet or so and drop it into very porous sand/gravel.  I don't think we will contaminate the creek.

There is a spring that runs year-round.  It is a couple of hundred feet up the creek from the cabin locations.  It is lower than the cabin sites so we will pump to water storage in the cabins.  This is peak flow in early May.  In late summer and early fall the water flows out at the level of the foreground.  We need to do some spring box work so we can always pump from the spring.

This is the front of the rock pile.  I don't know the rock type.  My brother has the rock expertise.  He spent about 17 yrs. in Nevada doing test hole drilling for mineral exploration.  It has plenty of cracks but it is not falling apart very fast. It does appear to be eroding from water intrusion and expansion.

The foreground is another possible location, flatter than the first, about 100ft down the creek from the first.  The rock is less fractured.  We would have to build a foot bridge for easy access across a small drainage to the left.

considerations

"I don't know the rock type." Igneous -  solidified lava.  Can't see it well enough to be more specific.