Hello all, looking for suggestions.

Started by JDR, May 10, 2015, 04:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDR

Hello all, newbie here looking for suggestions.

Purchased my off grid property this past month in Western Montana.
My "idea" as of right now is to get a well drilled, septic installed, and build a small (thinking 14 x 20) cabin with a sleeping loft until I can build my main house. I'm hoping that I will have enough money left after these expenses to have a foundation built for the main house.

I'm curious about foundations for my builds, specifically shallow frost proof foundations. Does anyone have any experience with these? How's the cost in comparison to pier beam foundation and other types of foundations?
The property is gently sloping (at most im guessing probably 3% grade in some places, and where the main house will sit to capture the most sunlight and mountain views) Can the SFPF be built on a slope or does it have to be at level grade? I had considered a daylight basement for the main home but don't know if I want to spend that much money for excavation and concrete (that's another issues, property has good access but I believe a concrete truck would have a hard time getting to the property due to the low trees)Any suggestions to an ignorant newbie would greatly appreciated.. JDR

rick91351

First off  w* to a neighbor.  We are across the state line and further to the west.

Matter of fact seems as if there is one you might review.... It is listed as A Victoria's Cottage in Western Maine

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8803.0

I think some of your questions should be addressed locally with a local engineer.  Some can be touched on here.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JDR

Hello Rick, thanks for the info.
Where abouts are you in Idaho? I bought about 12 miles Northwest of the little town on Drummond, Mt.
I love that whole area, Missoula to CDA!

rick91351

Not many places I / we have not been in Montana.  Spent the night in the city park on Drummond.  It doubled for the RV park back then.  Huummm  ??? Still might today.  Drummond use to have a famous bull sale there every year.  We had breakfast in a little Ma and Pa cafe.....  WOW that was like twenty five or thirty years ago. 

Got a cousin and her clan in Missoula. Some family in Butte and some in Billings. 

After I retired we built our retirement place on a ranch we own.  We live up in the boontilllies about 35 miles east of Boise and about the same distance north of Mtn Home. Lot dryer here that up north.   ;)

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12965.0   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JavaMan

Found this:

http://www.huduser.org/Publications/PDF/FPSFguide.pdf

Not sure that's what you're looking for, but I think it would give you a start