16x24 CABIN....It all started just as...

Started by PHU, July 22, 2014, 02:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHU

Thoughts, small talks, and wishful thinking....it all become becoming reality in stages.  ;)

So after months of planning and anticipation....I finally broke ground this year and ready to take on all the challenges that lie ahead.  This is an uncharted territory that will last a lifetime in years to come.  Should everything go smoothly, thanks to the inspirations you guys inspired on here....and should it failed....oh well, I'll pick up myself and start it all over again. lol

So here are some photos to pleasure the eyes of those who appreciate visual progress.  ;D

Holes are dug..... 12 of them!  8)

Little brother helping with the digging..... Sometimes, it helps to take them out of the city and enjoy some manual labors. LOL  ;D

It's a "FAMILY'S" affair.....Not sure if he can push the wheel barrel though? LOL   :)

He wanted to go in the hole....  :)

Sonotubes are in place.....

Home grown fresh strawberries at home...(thought I share)  :)

More veggies....

Main floor framing .....and BTW, IGNORE the dude (that's me) in the middle...LOL  ;D

This is all for now...more later on wall framing.... Thanks for stopping by.

Jim

cbc58

good start and good looking garden.  where are you building? 

Adam Roby

The "Dude in the middle" has a smile from ear to ear, means you are having fun!  That's what a build should be all about.  I especially like your hole measuring stick.  :)

Goose and Gillian

Love seeing little ones "helping" on the job site! Thanks for sharing!

PHU

Quote from: cbc58 on July 22, 2014, 04:52:12 PM
good start and good looking garden.  where are you building?

Thanks!  I'm building in northeastern part of WI.

Quote from: Adam Roby on July 22, 2014, 05:38:01 PM
The "Dude in the middle" has a smile from ear to ear, means you are having fun!  That's what a build should be all about.  I especially like your hole measuring stick.  :)

There are times when you need to smile a little,  laugh a little, cry a little (though never in front of the wife and kids..LO)....and just have lots of fun.  :)

Quote from: Goose and Gillian on July 22, 2014, 09:21:47 PM
Love seeing little ones "helping" on the job site! Thanks for sharing!

They sure ask lots of questions too! And they love playing with tools and misplaced them. lol  ??? :)

PHU

Here are some more pics with the added porch.

Porch seemed to be leveled.  :D

more in the next couple weeks....

Walls are next after inspection is completed. 

Stay tuned. 

PHU

Since i last posted...progress have been slow coming. I took a week of vacation to work on the cabin...but unfortunately, it rained most of the week.  Some days I get like a couple hours of work...then it rain again....it's such a frustrating week for me.  The really progress didn't come until Friday and Saturday when there's a break in the weather.  This is where i'm currently at...

Under the scorching sun....father and son captured a moment in time smiling.

He thinks this is fun! lol

testing my height confident....lol

walls are up!

roof joists are in placed...

door entrance

interior

Help finally came...lol...

See how happy i am...lol

sidings are in placed.

more interior...

thanks for stopping by.... :) :)

shawninpaso

Wow, looks great - can't wait to see more.

new land owner

Looking good, what goes below the siding?

PHU

Quote from: shawninpaso on August 25, 2014, 01:42:00 AM
Wow, looks great - can't wait to see more.

Thanks! 

Quote from: new land owner on August 25, 2014, 05:39:10 AM
Looking good, what goes below the siding?

I was thinking using log siding...

new land owner

taiwin

GSPDOG

Thanks for Reading
Jim Brown

PHU

Progress update 11-10-2014

Finally finished putting the roof on. It's sure was a challenge putting it on but it all came together well. If i ever have to do it again, i'll just contracted it to someone. For one thing, lacking the necessary equipment to help was a major challenge.  It's no simple ways to get those 13 ft long sheeting on especially being 26 ft high up.  ;D

So this is where creative solution come into play. As you can see, having home made temporary ladders made a world of difference in putting on the sheeting.  It's a  slow and tedious process and the price one pays for doing it yourself, but it got the job done.  :)

interior

Now that the roof is done I can move on to the sidings and hopefully get that all wrapped up by the end of this year. The interior will be next after inspection.  Stay tuned for more progress in the future.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Tere are a

hemfir

[cool]Like your homemade ladder approach for working on the ridge....a real challenge when working alone...thanks for sharing

OlJarhead

Quote from: hemfir on November 14, 2014, 02:15:27 PM
[cool]Like your homemade ladder approach for working on the ridge....a real challenge when working alone...thanks for sharing
[cool]
I agree.  I've been thinking about different options to get back up on my roof and this may well do the trick...just have to make the porch roof first.

Windpower

Very nice, great job getting the roof on !

Good to see the safety harness

"N E Wisconsin" -- did you get hit with the snow storm ?

We're SW Wi and missed the snow but the cold sure arrived

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

PHU

Quote from: hemfir on November 14, 2014, 02:15:27 PM

Thanks! It sure was a challenge working on the ridge cap! What's even more amazing is that I was able to convinced my wife, who's not fond of heights to go up to help me.   ;D   At first i thought it was a bad idea to have her up there with me....but she managed to hold in her fears and helped me get the job done.  :)

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 14, 2014, 05:03:34 PM
[cool]
I agree.  I've been thinking about different options to get back up on my roof and this may well do the trick...just have to make the porch roof first.
Just a word of advice if you do choose to do this.  Jut make sure you secured the base of the ladders to a 2x for safety.  Also by having 3 ladders span across the roof make moving across easier and create stability. Good luck.

Quote from: Windpower on November 15, 2014, 07:45:06 AM
Very nice, great job getting the roof on !

Good to see the safety harness

"N E Wisconsin" -- did you get hit with the snow storm ?

We're SW Wi and missed the snow but the cold sure arrived

Thank you!

Yes, snow is early this year....we got hit about 4 inches...and more are on the way. :)

It's too cold now to do anything on the cabin, however, this will give me more time to think about what to do next.  :)

Thanks for stopping by everyone 

Barry Broome

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

GSPDOG

Looking good and always great to see the kids helping out.  I know doing the work I did with my dad and grandfather were a great help in my own build and great dinner stories. ;-)  I can appreciate your roof scaffold also have a similar roof not quite as steep but close.
Thanks for Reading
Jim Brown

PHU

Hello everyone, it's been 5 months since I have updated the progress of my cabin back in Novemeber.  Since we have a mild winter this year, I was able to work on the cabin a little early this year.

Anyhow, I hope you all had a great winter and whatever your goal is this year, good luck to all. :)

I went up to check on the cabin's condition back in February and it's still standing in one place. I was afraid the piers won't hold. :)

Mother nature's best snow falls of the season. Took this pic while up north bow hunting late season.

Early April....Took the family for a short stroll and came upon this curious doe...so i pulled out the camera and snapped this picture while my son stood motionless. He's about 10 yards from the deer. AWESOME! :)

Much of the exterior of the cabin have been completed.....there are some minor touches left to do and i'll move into the interior soon.  This was installed last weekend. It went fast.

I must say, i have learned so much from this project. There are times when I wish I had hired someone to build it, but the experience of taking the challenges has been nothing but rewarding. I hope in the next few weeks/months to come, I will have more pictures to share. Until then....thanks for stopping by.

lachoza

what plans did you use? like the cabin and would like to see possibilities. Can you share on cost?

PHU

Quote from: lachoza on May 01, 2015, 02:22:10 PM
what plans did you use? like the cabin and would like to see possibilities. Can you share on cost?

hi lachoza,

I pretty much designed the plan myself. And the cost up-to-date is close to 10K and it will go up maybe another 5K before the cabin can be consider finished. 

just curious, where are you planning to build?

nailit69

Place is looking great PHU...  I'm doing a 14' x 24' w/a full basement... i'm picturing the cabin i'm working on looking about the same as yours when done.  I'd be interested in seeing your floor plan/int. layout and how you used the space. 

I've been keeping a spreadsheet with all my estimated and actual costs... i'm guessing i'm going to be into it for around $15k +/- a few bucks.  So far i'm still on budget but i'm just getting started.

PHU

The last post of this thread was dated back in May 2015...I thought I come back and share what I've been doing to the cabin since.  The cabin  progresses slowly, but I'm getting there. :)

Just a few updated pictures of what have been added or completed.

Sand Point Well installation....

First, we dug a 4ft deep "starter" hole approximately 8-10 diameter. And then attach each section of pipe and start pounding it down. :)

This is how we roll !!!! LOL

OH SH&T! The cap broke off!! NOW WHAT??! LOL 

Installing the hand pump.

AFTER an hour and 15ft deep... we finally hit ( THE SOURCE OF LIFE) H2O!!! 

More to come.....Stay tuned. :)