Al and Robins 20x30 1 1/2 near Lake Eufaula, OK

Started by ajbremer, May 09, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Tornado

Wow what a deal!!!
I can only dream of finding a trailor at that price!!!
TT

Tickhill

Great price on the trailer! The last used trailer I bought was a 16' with single axle and it was $850.00. Roof leaks are one of the largest concerns with a vintage trailer, around any openings. Cool Seal it real good and you should be able to at least double your money when you get finsihed.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

ajbremer

Tuesday Morning - May 17th, 2011

Went to the lot yesterday just to check things out. The soil is drying up but still has small puddles of water in the ruts that the backhoe created. Talked to my septic man and he said he would be out later this week to check it out and possibly get working on it again.

Well, while we're waiting for our lot soil to dry up we are working hard on cleaning the travel trailer that we got the other day.

Here is our $250 travel trailer at home. Now we're getting all of the appliances shined up and working, replacing panels, and just getting it looking good.

Here's a view from the back of the lot. You can barely make-out some water in the ruts.

A little water in the septic tank hole.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

ajbremer

Wednesday Morning - May 18th, 2011

I started into fixing up our 1978 travel trailer yesterday. I call it 'fixing-up' and not 'restoring' on purpose. I sure don't want to spend a lot of money and time restoring a travel trailer. I need to put my time and money in the steps involved in the main building process. BUT, I have to make the trailer livable and comfortable.

I know this is not a forum about travel trailers but I guess they may be considered an important part of the countryplan house building procedure. I see many-a-build here with a small trailer near the build site. All I am going to do is buy some thin paneling and some 2x2 studs and do minimum.

The other part of the trailer I have to tackle is the electrical system of which I know very little about. I have to re-hookup this power converter and try to get the system tied-in. I'll have to google 'travel trailer wiring' or something like that. If any of you can help me figure this thing out, I would be grateful for sure!

Anyway, here's just a couple of pics of what it looks like after I tore some rotted ceiling panel and wall off. You'll notice the rotted studs at corner locations. Again, I'm just going to make it livable and at the same time, I'll try to get all the appliances and connections working and then I'll take it to my build.

Here's the front upper half after I tore off the bad paneling and insulation.

Here's a pic of the power-converter that I'm going to have to figure out.

MountainDon

An RV power converter is a device that takes 120 VAC and puts out 12 VDC. Those old ones will slowly cook a battery if left connected for long periods of time. At the same time most of those old ones do not put out enough current to do a really good (fast) job at recharging the battery.     Lots opf old RV's also have rotted framing because they develop leaks easy. Is the roof a sheet of aluminum? There is repair tape that is a lot like window/door flashing material that is great for fixing roof leaks. RV's with the outer skin meeting at corners also develop leaks there. The tape is good for wrapping corners and stopping them.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

The other part of the trailer I have to tackle is the electrical system of which I know very little about. I have to re-hookup this power converter and try to get the system tied-in. I'll have to google 'travel trailer wiring' or something like that. If any of you can help me figure this thing out, I would be grateful for sure!

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php

There is a whole section on trailer electrical here.  Also a section on plumbing and gas.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

IronPatriotTN

You can't "live in your shed that you turned into a mini house, but you can move that small trailer out there and live?
Wow.
HOAs are so so stupid.  >:(

Native_NM

Quote from: MountainDon on May 18, 2011, 09:15:43 AM
An RV power converter is a device that takes 120 VAC and puts out 12 VDC. Those old ones will slowly cook a battery if left connected for long periods of time. At the same time most of those old ones do not put out enough current to do a really good (fast) job at recharging the battery.     Lots opf old RV's also have rotted framing because they develop leaks easy. Is the roof a sheet of aluminum? There is repair tape that is a lot like window/door flashing material that is great for fixing roof leaks. RV's with the outer skin meeting at corners also develop leaks there. The tape is good for wrapping corners and stopping them.

For a temporary solution visit a mobile home supply house and buy a bucket of the white, elastomeric roof coating.  Coat all the seams.  May not be too pretty (but not too ugly), and will keep it dry.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

rick91351

Quote from: IronPatriotTN on May 18, 2011, 05:19:14 PM
You can't "live in your shed that you turned into a mini house, but you can move that small trailer out there and live?
Wow.
HOAs are so so stupid.  >:(

Yes .... but ....  it is all for the good of the collective.  And it gives some people a purpose in life ratting on their neighbor.  Nice to have purpose.....

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

ajbremer

Friday Morning - May 20th, 2011

Well, I talked to my septic man yesterday about the condition of my soil and the possibility of finishing the job. He said he would have it done by the end of next week no matter what (that means by the end of Saturday, May 28th) - even if he has to put planks down. I guess that's what they do sometimes when the soil doesn't dry-up enough for them to get their equipment onto it.

I did go out to my land a few days ago and it is drying up and getting harder but very slowly. I can't do much out there now because of the huge tank hole that's been dug, the piles of dirt, and the ruts that have been left behind from his first visit 15 days ago - what a drag!

Because my soil is so susceptible to moisture content and seems to take so long to dry out because of the hard clay underneath, I'm wondering how important it is for me to get a French-Drain in, the one I was thinking of putting in front of where my foundation is going to go. Maybe I should do that after the septic system gets in and before my stem-wall is done? If it dries up really good maybe I can just wait till after the foundation is done?

Also, I remember reading an earlier post about a 'Curtain Drain', what's the difference between that and a French-Drain?

Here is a video of a drain system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1eRVVPJOE

I'm not sure if this would be called a French-drain or a Curtain-drain.

ajbremer

Monday Morning - May 23rd, 2011

Well, it has rained a lot around here so I'm wondering if my septic man is still going to finish my septic system this week like he said. He said that he's going to do it even if he has to use planks (because of the soil saturation). Anybody ever seen a septic system put in where the equipment had to use planks?

ajbremer

Tuesday Morning - May 24th, 2011

Went to our Rural Water District and paid for our water meter/start-up yesterday. My wife wanted to pay for it now and get it out of the way. (I thank God so much for my wife)

They gave us all kinds of paper work: A Service Agreement, Payment Information, By-Laws, Amendments to By-Laws, Septic System Approval Agreement, a bank draft form, and a little blue flag that we are supposed to set at least 5 feet into our border from the front.

The cost for us to get water was: $750. Most people tell us that that is a pretty good price, most districts require $1,000.

I sure do miss being at the place, it seems like I haven't been there in a long time. We love the way it sits in its own little woods and not in the open city with real close neighbors.

We've been trying to work on our travel trailer as much as possible also, well - I should say that the wife has worked on it a lot while I'm at work. As soon as the septic is done and the land is smoothed out and dry, the water meter is in, and the trailer is restored enough for us, I'll move it on the land and we will begin to live there while getting our old place ready to sell.

I'll soon be posting my 'Water Flag Planting' picture. Seeing that Memorial Day weekend is this coming weekend, I can't help but think of the Marine Corps War Memorial where those six men are planting the flag at Iwo Jima. Maybe I can call this our 'Water-Day' weekend where we plant our little blue water flag - just me and the wife. (I'll get a good picture of it but I don't think we'll be able to make a statue of it).

325ABN

I gotta say that what you describe about having to deal with the HOA on YOUR land would surely of sent me packing down the road. So you can't live in or even stay the night in that nice little out building but you can move an old travel trailer onto the place and live in that?? It makes me wonder if you are going to have to submitt to a bed check by some HOA nazi. Just makes no sense to me.  d* d* d* ???

Heck you probley could have bolted a set of mobile home axels and a towing tounge onto the "shed" and called that a travel trailer. What could the HOA possibly say about that? Good luck to you!! [cool]

ajbremer

Sunday Morning - May 29th, 2011 @ 8:00am

We went to our annual HOA (Homeowners Association) meeting yesterday for the first time, wow, what a political scene. "...who'll second the motion, ok, all in favor say Aye. Now, new news?". Presidents report, treasurers report, voting, dues, new comities, this kind of stuff is new to me.

The by-laws, monthly dues, restrictions, and covenants of our HOA are not really all that bad compared to many others that I've read and heard about. I plan to put some restrictions and covenants online with generic names so that you all can see what they are and what people have to go through as new lot owners. That's who it affects the most, new people who are building and moving in. Once you have your place done (in-tune to the restrictions and covenants) or, if you've purchased a house within the restricted HOA, then to stay within the covenants isn't too hard of a deal - at least in my situation.

There is a lot to say about HOA's, good and bad. HOA's have taken away people's houses, caused fights and stress among neighbors, and monthly dues can become costly because of legal battles. On the other hand, in certain areas, if there was no rules...well, you can guess how neighborhoods could look and what type of people could be your neighbors, and how it could affect your taxes and land values.

ajbremer

Tuesday Night - May 31st, 2011 @ 7:29pm Oklahoma, USA

We got a real good deal on a bumper-pull trailer that needed some work, only paid $250 and I show the pics of it a few posts up.

Well, new news: I just bought an RV. I guess I'll sell the bumper-pull. It's just a better deal for us and it has much better living conditions and it is in great shape for a 1985 model.

It's a Fleetwood Pace Arrow M-V 29' model with a Chevy 454 motor. It has 52,600 miles on it. Not a dent in it, the inside is very clean and well kept. There seem to be no issues with it and the last time it was driven was last year and I trust the person that's selling it to me. I compared this to many others over the internet and I'm pretty sure I got it for a great price. Others like it that I saw were anywhere from $4,000 to $8,000 and even above for immaculate ones.

Here is a few pics of it. I'll tell you what I paid for it after I pick it up. Does anybody else have a Pace Arrow close to this year?

Now I just have to get my septic man to finish the job (when soil dries) and then you'll see pics of this on our land.

MushCreek

Too bad you're not closer- I'd pay good money for that little trailer! Here in FL, RV's are a dime a dozen. After a certain point, they practically give them away. Trailers, esp. small ones, seem to hold their value better. Nice rig!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

ajbremer

Sunday Afternoon - June 5th, 2011 @ 4:01pm Oklahoma, USA

Well, these are the busiest days of my life!

The real estate agent put 2 'For-Sale' signs at my house and I'm trying my best to get it all emptied out and cleaned up so that we can sell our house and move to our new lot and begin to build our countryplan home. I've been mowing, clearing out the garage, taking pictures of the place, weed-whacking, moving stuff to the new place, and the list goes on.

All the while we're doing this, we have been going out to our new lot and taking care of it. The septic man still hasn't completed the job because the soil still hasn't had a chance to dry enough to hold his big equipment. These two huge trees are always casting a lot of shade and blocking the wind and so it seems to take a real long time for the soil to dry-out. These two trees would also be in the way of our new countryplan home. They are right in front of it and we're concerned about the ice-storms that so often come to our part of Oklahoma.

Many times I've stood under those two trees and wondered how I can cut them down. A power pole and other trees were in their way and I knew that I just didn't have the right equipment and knowledge to safely do the job. While I was out there at my lot a few days ago, I called a local tree service and described how big the trees were so that I could get some kind of estimate. I thought, "ah, maybe they'll come out and I'll have them just chop the bottom, I'll do the rest and maybe they'll just charge me $50 or $100 bucks." WOW, they wanted hundreds of dollars a tree! I couldn't believe how much money it cost to take down a tree professionally.

Then, I found out that a friend of mine from church was the head of a Seismic clearing crew for years and he cut trees all the time and has a slew of tools and saws. Well, yesterday he came over and so did a new neighbor of mine and all four of us (my wife too) got the job done. We slung ropes over branches and pulled on them while he cut so that they would fall in the right direction. When it came time to cut the biggest tree, we attached the roped that was slung over a good branch to a chain that went to a neighbors hitch on his truck. When the tree was cut to the point of beginning to fall, he gunned the truck and pushed the tree in the right direction.

One of the parts that we thought was going to be the hardest was attaching the rope to something like a rock and then lassoing a strong branch many feet up so that we could tie onto it and then pull on it in the right direction causing it to fall in the direction of the pulling. A neighbor came over who had done this stuff before and he used an old round ball trailer hitch, I think it was a 2-inch ball. It worked great.

So now that those two trees are gone, I'm hoping that the place will dry up real quick and I'll get my septic in, then the water meter can come in, and then starts the countryplan home.

Here's before and after pics of the trees and check out the youtube video links I have at the end of this post:

Here's Sean cutting a limb with the pole saw:

Sean cutting the first major limb off of tree number 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5pdGZ2d4RI

Slinging a rope onto a branch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkWd3ST5mpU

Sean cutting large limb from tree number 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7hreA_NhZI

Sean yelling out a late, 'Timberrrrr!':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbK-RjOSwTo

Main summary video at end of day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVs5fl9fNVk

John Raabe

We get by with a little HELP from our friends!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ajbremer

Tuesday Morning - June 7th, 2011 @ 5:30am

Called the County Commissioners office yesterday and asked them to come out and put in my 'free' Tin-Horn. I guess I'll have to pay for the tin-horn but they'll do everything else. Wow, that's still a great deal. I'm supposed to meet the guy out there at my place and he'll look and see where I'll need to have it and how many feet I'll need to have.

I think having that Tin-Horn at the front of my lot (which mostly slopes downhill from there) will help the soil dry-out quicker after heavy rains. The secretary at the commissioners office told me that the Tin-Horn runs about $4 to $5 a foot? Not really sure. Hopefully I'll be able to be there when they do it and get some pic/vids.

ajbremer

Thursday Night - June 9th, 2011 @ 9:18pm

Ok, I drove the Motor Home 52 miles home and now it's at my place and I'll clean it up and get it ready for my countryplan lot.

It's a 1985 Fleetwood Pace-Arrow V30 (30 footer) with a Chevy 454 and a 400 tranny. It is in very good condition, runs great, no leaks, doesn't overheat and was an all around great deal at $3,200!

I haven't checked to see if the septic man has completed the job yet, the water company couldn't find the blue flag I planted for them today, and I'm in the process of buying another adjacent lot (my 3rd one) next to my 'ditch' lot.

Things are happening fast these days! Here's pics of Class A RV at  home:

ajbremer

Tuesday Morning - June 14th, 2011 @ 5:19am Oklahoma

Septic tank was totally installed yesterday, hurray - finally!

ajbremer

Saturday Morning - June 18th, 2011 @ 8:05am Oklahoma

We finally got our water put in on our lot, hurray! They did it 3 days ago on a Wednesday afternoon. I made sure I took off work so that I could be out there with them for pics and videos and I also asked a lot of questions.

I have 60psi - wow, that's pretty good.

Also, I have 11 video links of the water job after the last picture. I do tend to take a lot of pictures and videos but you don't have to look at them all unless you want to. I mainly do it for my family but maybe some people might learn somethings, like how not to do it?

Water Video 1
Water Video 2
Water Video 3
Water Video 4
Water Video 5
Water Video 6
Water Video 7
Water Video 8
Water Video 9
Water Video 10
Water Video 11

Sassy

All the comforts of home  :)  Making good progress!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ajbremer

Thursday - June 30th, 2011

We finally got the RV on the land right in front of where our countryplan house will be. I can't begin to tell you what I've learned about RV's in the last 3 or 4 weeks. It included me doing my first carburetor rebuild (which was successful).

In this first picture, the open dirt area to the right is where the house will go.

(One more pic coming soon)

ajbremer

Tuesday Morning - July 5th, 2011

We've been working hard on our land lately, in the 100+ degree sun too! We got a lot done over our 4th of July holiday weekend.

The first thing we had to do after getting the RV on the property was to install a 30 amp breaker in the construction pole box and then begin the process of burying about 50 feet of 10-gauge wire that goes to the RV. We tried running the RV with just the standard 20 amp breaker and a regular extension cord but it wasn't giving enough power for the A/C units to run and it wasn't safe. So, after reading the manual, I did the right thing.

Another step that was taken was to level the RV, wow, what a job. I've read where the newer and high-end RV's have their own automatic on-board leveling systems, well, ours don't so we had to use boards. One thing that we learned was that an RV frig won't work unless it's level. Anyway, we finally got it just about perfect and left it at that. It took a long time for the RV frig to get cold but we just gave it a whole day and both the frig and freezer work excellent.

The next thing we began this last weekend was to put up our dog-pen. A friend of mine wanted some wooden privacy fencing instead of the chain link fence that he had so he asked me if I wanted about 120+ feet of chain link fencing and all the poles and materials, I said yes and got some great fence for free. The concrete was still on the poles so I just left them that way and dug holes to fit them. At first I thought about pounding the concrete off the poles but it was way too hard, time consuming, and unsafe without goggles.

Now, I'm going to try my best to get the stem-wall foundation for our countryplan home finished before the next 8 weeks.

Here's a couple pictures and videos of what we did on our 4th of July weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmM7OvIoNqc

Here's how NOT to check for voltage!