(Dis)Organizer

Started by DavidLeBlanc, May 14, 2005, 06:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidLeBlanc

Oops - you'd think I'd know all the features of something I'm recommending!  ::)

I hope you'll let me know, sooner or later, what you think of it and any features (beyond printing ;)) you'd like to see.

I'm making a little bit of progress on my own version. I'm currently wrestling with WYSIWYG input rather than all the weird notation one enters in a special edit window.

There will still be some of that, especially macros and the like, but I hope to make general input far more transparent than it is now.

So far, ctrl-b is bold, ctrl-i is italic and hitting each one of them will turn off the text decoration (ctrl-b to turn on bold, ctrl-b to turn it off). Available decorations will be bold, italic, underline and overstrike, plus font name, size and color (foreground and background). Also, justification, sub/superscripts and margin settings.

glenn kangiser

That one was interesting to me so thought I would give it a try.  I'll keep checking it out as I have more time to play with it and see what I can come up with.  I haven't had time tocheck out many other features but the log working was a major accomplishment for me.

:)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I played with ----edit/copy page as---- a bit to print, then decided on ---copy page as MediaWiki Markup then pasting it into Word or Word Pad to print it out fairly quickly and trouble free.  Updated input only takes a few seconds - output is rtf  -rich text format - so looks pretty good for a list of things to do.  I understand after 7 days it links to older days putting them as a menu item, but still available.

Todays example below

Edit Today's Entry

=== Wednesday, June 01, 2005 === (edit | view)

* finish shop roof-
* Work  out time to get tree from Lee Haley - etc.
* sprinklers to top of shop garden - window garden -potatoes

=== Tuesday, May 31, 2005 === (edit | view)

* Go to Kasco-Manchester - bid 1200

-job complete- bill Kasco

=== Monday, May 30, 2005 === (edit | view)

* check with county about [[Hornitos job]]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I like your ideas, David.  I don't want to have to type that code to get bold, italics etc.  Heck -- I have enough trouble just remembering how to type let alone try to remember some code to make my stuff look cool. ;D

DavidLeBlanc

How's it going?

I've made some basic progress on my version - it will have a "tree" of topics along one side for faster navigation - sort of like an outline or table of contents (think of it either way!)

I've gotten the text entry area to take "control-<something>" to do the basic styling - I just have to get it to not undo all the stylings when a single style is removed (like bold+italic going back to normal when only bold is removed).

Still miles and miles to go though.

BTW John - is it ok to have this discussion on your website?

glenn kangiser

I am using Notebook to keep track of daily projects - printing is now fairly routine and relatively painless - I leave a Word doc. on the desktop titled Glenn's notebook.  Copy current info as mediawiki markup - open the word doc then hit control "a"  to select all of the old text then hit paste and the new replaces the old then print the word doc with current stuff to do.  You can edit each previous day separately so can mark off or put an x at the end of finished tasks.  I leave a copy of Notebook open on the task bar for instant editing whenever I get an idea or thought -- so why no entries you say ???  :-/  No brain-no pain

Hopefully the relevance to this forum would be that someone may want a way to organize their house or cabin building project - keep list of materials - update lists of things to do or wants for keeping the project running smoothly.  A few quick notes and you don't forget anything.  I'm sure all the DIY home builders keep a laptop running in their pickup on the job site for just such a thing- --sure (although I do take mine and a small inverter to every job and pop in once in a while). ;D

matsuscha

David - I'm still extremely new to the forum - building & all.. but I'm not necessarily to Cancer - or a corporate life change.  I hope it is ok on the site - but I don't know how to manuever it well yet, but I work in Heme/Onc at UAB Birmingham.

Also - on your software - I've beta tested a lot of touch screen & tax software - will look at the notebook tomorrow.  Used PDAs for "life" a long time --> shifting now.  Would love to be a "guinea" for your stuff.

carolne
b'ham, al

DavidLeBlanc

Hi Carolne;

Thanks, I'll mark you down for guinea pig #2 right after the cave dweller ;)

Re: cancer. I've got papilary cancer of the thyroid. Thyroids been taken out, but I'm still worried about the metastasis into my lungs. It will be another few months (September) before they're willing to do a CT to check (for some reason having to do with the I-131 treatment I had in March and the iodine in the contrast they use). I still have cramps in my chest and shortness of breath that bothers me a lot!