Al and Robins 20x30 1 1/2 near Lake Eufaula, OK

Started by ajbremer, May 09, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

AJ check your distance carefully around the garage door opening and any other access doors you might install to make sure that the post do not interfere with those.  Remember to allow for your rough opening dimensions. Hard to move later allow for those.  Sometimes you may have to shift it a little one direction or the other.

ajbremer

What is the standard width that I would need for the larger (wider) garage door opening for my 6x6 posts? How about for a standard garage entry door?

I got my first batter board up yesterday, here's a pic:

(Pic coming soon)

Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

Adam Roby

I am quite sure you already know this but I will post anyways, please don't take offense if it was done on purpose.

Quote from: ajbremer on June 20, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
I got my first batter board up yesterday, here's a pic:
https://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/ajbremer/Mobile%20Uploads/20150619_134147_zpsmd3btk6d.jpg

If you enclose the image's link in IMG tags, then the image will appear here without us needing to link to it.  I just makes it easier to follow IMO.

Photobucket actually has an automatic link generator you can just click and paste in the post.

MountainDon

Of course the easy method is to copy the IMG tag link from the photobucket page (lower right side of image)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Adam Roby

Quote from: MountainDon on June 20, 2015, 11:50:57 AM
Of course the easy method is to copy the IMG tag link from the photobucket page (lower right side of image)

Same meaning as my "Photobucket actually has an automatic link generator you can just click and paste in the post." but in a way that actually makes sense.  :)  Thanks MountainDon.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ajbremer on June 20, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
What is the standard width that I would need for the larger (wider) garage door opening for my 6x6 posts? How about for a standard garage entry door?

Well we are talking about two different things.  The standard garage door is 8'W X7'H.  But I would be inclined to look at the 9'W door especially if moving equipment, trucks , tractors and the like.  You can check the rough opening required for the doors where you normally shop. 

The entry doors are pretty well standard being 2" wider than the actual door itself.  Say 36" door needs 38" W & 81-1/2"H for a prehung steel entry door.

Also on the garage door there is a little more framing required for the track and opener.  Not a whole lot just anchoring plates.

ajbremer

Good Day Redoverfarm and thank you for that rough opening information.

What I'm wondering is this, once I know my rough opening sizes - is that where the edge of the 6x6 posts should lie or should I allow for boards nailed to the edge of the 6x6 posts to be the opening?

Also, thanks for the tag information Adam. I know what your talking about, you can tell by looking at the hundreds of times I used the 'proper' tag when you look back through my past posts. I got in a hurry and it's also been a long time since I've been posting here on almost a daily basis. But, I'll take all the help I can get and I thank you sir!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ajbremer on June 21, 2015, 06:54:24 AM
Good Day Redoverfarm and thank you for that rough opening information.

What I'm wondering is this, once I know my rough opening sizes - is that where the edge of the 6x6 posts should lie or should I allow for boards nailed to the edge of the 6x6 posts to be the opening?

AJ your rough opening is the inside dimensions of your rough framing.  In other words the inside of your 2X material which is attached to your 6X6.  If you placed that dimensions just in between your 6X6 and then add your 2X material the opening will be too narrow. 

ajbremer

That's exactly what I was wondering Redoverfarm...thank you. I was just confused and wondering why I needed 2x material, why couldn't I just forget about the 2x's on the posts and use the posts alone for rough openings? (Just put a header up top of the 2 posts)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ajbremer on June 21, 2015, 04:22:02 PM
That's exactly what I was wondering Redoverfarm...thank you. I was just confused and wondering why I needed 2x material, why couldn't I just forget about the 2x's on the posts and use the posts alone for rough openings? (Just put a header up top of the 2 posts)

Bad idea IMO AJ.  The post are permanent structurally.  Break down and spend a few bucks for the 2X material.  Attach them to the post both sides (inside).  Then use two more for the top ( one set in on the front and the other face mounted).  Then come back and attach a third to the top nailing it horizontally onto the two previous.  Then you will have a perfectly framed opening which I assure you will make a lot nicer job and be easier to attach the door track and trim.

garyc

Rough Opening for Garage Door

The opening size for roll up and garage doors are different than other types of residential doors. They close up against the rough opening, any other type fits inside the opening. You must decide what type of jamb material is to be used before determining the rough opening for a garage door.

In my area, for 2 x 4 walls with 1/2" sheathing, a 2 x 6 is used for both side and head jambs. This allows SPF #2 lumber to be used and then wrapped with aluminum for a maintenance free finish. When held flush to the inside of the garage wall there will be 1 1/2" sticking past the door opening to butt the exterior finish against.

By the time the jamb is applied the garage door framing size should be the same as as the door. If the door is called a 16' x 7' then the opening should be that size.

All garage door headers should have double trimmers (cripples) due to their length and amount of weight bearing on them. Adding up the four trimmers and both side jambs plus the width of the door will give you the header length. For a 16' door the length would be 16' 9"s. The header height using this method is 1 1/2"s higher than the door, from the concrete floor.

I Copied this from a web site. Rough Opening for Garage Door

http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/garage-door-framing.html
If it wasn't for bad luck . I would 't have any luck at all.

ajbremer

Thank you Redoverfarm and garyc!

My next question for ya'll is this. I was going to use 6x6 treated post but some have said I can get away with 4x4's. It sure is a lot less expensive. I plan to use metal for the walls so I figure the weight of the wall won't be that much - not as much as if OSB and siding were going to be attached to the girts.

ajbremer

Finally built some side walls to our loft inside the country plan house. We found 6' boards at lowes and they ran $1.20 each. I cut them to the 4' mark and spaced them using my level. Now we can be sure that nothing will fall from the loft to the floor below, it's over 9' to the floor below. Here's pics:

(3 pics coming soon)

ajbremer

Tuesday - August 18th, 2015

We want more land so we've decided to sell this 20x30 place. It sold pretty quick even though it wasn't totally finished on the inside. I learned very much from the project and I profited a little money from the sale but nothing spectacular.

ajbremer

My country plan house is now being sold going through a real estate agent.

ajbremer

My CountryPlan home has sold! I bought 5 acres of virgin forest land in Mounds, Oklahoma. I had to get a bulldozer to make my front yard. I brought in a 16 x 40 Derksen Building and am totally off the grid...oh what fun it is!

I got into solar and today was our first day of power!!!

I have 2 - 250 Watt Solar Panels and a 1600 Watt Wind Turbine. 8 6volt 225amp hour batteries to create a 24 Volt - 450 amp hour system. Solar is exciting!!!

I'll post pics very soon.

Bob S.

vickeyd

Ahh, the Derksen building. I know it well! Is yours barn style or gable roof? I'm interested in your cost for the solar set up you have. Do you mind sharing that info? And maybe some pics of what you've done in your Derksen building.

ajbremer

The Thanksgiving Holidays were very rainy and it was hard to get anything done and go places outside. In fact, it's Monday and it's still raining...for the 5th day in a row! (It'll be nice to see the sun soon)

Here's some pics:

(4 pics coming soon)

Our Derksen Building (16x40):

Our Solar Power System:

Our Solar Panels:

Our Wind Turbine:

ajbremer

Well, it looks like I'm going to start my Number 2 CountryPlan house on my new 5 acres. I plan to build it with angle iron just like I did with my first countryplan house that I sold about 1/2 a year ago.

This time it'll be all solar and wind powered - totally off-grid. We are living off-grid right now in a 16x40 building that is powered by solar and wind, we also use a composit toilet. The house will be close to the building we live in now. I will be posting pics and videos just like I did before...ya'll be patient with me like ya always have been...thanks!

astidham

Good to see you back on cp Al.
cant wait to see what you come up with.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

Yes sir, it'll be a little smaller but pretty much the same style.

ajbremer

Monday - March 22nd, 2016

Started our new CountryPlan build (14x24), here's the link: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=14300.0

ajbremer

Sorry about my pictures not showing up because of what photobucket.com did. I'm fixing the problem, it may take a little while though. Thanks for your patience.