12x16 Timber Frame Cabin

Started by Whitlock, October 01, 2008, 12:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitlock

I'm going to start posting about my little cabin I started building last year. I will start from the beginning until I catch up with were I'm at.

Here is the foundation. Poured the concrete on a cloudy day in Febuary used the concrete blocks for part of the walls. Should of poured a footing then set the blocks and then added in the slab. But live and learn I guess.
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

I see you learned quickly how to post images.  :)

[cool]   Where is this? Near Mariposa?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

About 1 mile North of Glenn. Can't see his hidden place though. But I can hear him d*

Whitlock

I worked at a saw mill for awhile and was ablie to pick out some premo Ceder for the frame .Built it in my yard when I lived In Twain Harte. Was going to do it all by hand until I drilled my frist hole for the Mortise and tenons.Figured that would take to much time and it would wear me out . But I did cut the joints by hand.

Note the stack of red wood in the back gound of the frist picture this is what was left of 15,000 bf that I got for .26 a board foot.  To good to be true the guy wanted it out of his yard lucky me [cool]

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Whitlock on October 01, 2008, 12:46:35 AM
About 1 mile North of Glenn. Can't see his hidden place though. But I can hear him d*

I'm noisy...Moi ???  That's what they tell me in the off topics too.... I just can't get no respect. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Wow.... deja vu....

Nice work though.  That is the same type mortise and tenon joints as used in the Trabucco warehouse.  They were remarkably tough.

Looks like some old tools to go with the old technology too.  I like it.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 01, 2008, 01:16:45 AM
Quote from: Whitlock on October 01, 2008, 12:46:35 AM

I'm noisy...Moi ???  That's what they tell me in the off topics too.... I just can't get no respect. :)

When I get my Stampmill up we can drowned each other out c* Hope the neighbors don't mind ;)

glenn kangiser

We have neighbors? hmm 

Funny how noises go for miles around here.

Whitlock

We did lose some neighbors after the fire :(

More on the cabin. My wife didn't like me building it in are front yard but it was the only place big enough at the time. Using the modular processes I was able to work on it after work and I got it done in a few weeks. I then hauled it to the site and erected it in about 5 hours. I had the plates already bolted to the foundation. I pegged the bents together and stood them up added the top plate and the structure was in place and sturdy. One suggestion do not stand the bents up without some help I did this and it got hairy a few times.

This is a barn beam boring machine. Works good if you need your hole to be perfectly square to the timber d*

Ready to stand up :)

It's up [cool]

More later,Whitlock

ScottA

Very cool. You have alot of patience to work the wood the old way.

glenn kangiser

Nice to see the details, Whitlock.

His place was one of the ones I was sure was gone in the fire.  I was really relieved when I called Carla - the former CHP with a badge bigger than the Sheriff's who tried to run her off, and found that Whitlock and wife remained at her place and helped the firefighters save his house also.

Not worded well but you get the picture. d* 

Sassy

Quote from: Whitlock on October 01, 2008, 12:57:21 AM
I worked at a saw mill for awhile and was ablie to pick out some premo Ceder for the frame .Built it in my yard when I lived In Twain Harte. Was going to do it all by hand until I drilled my frist hole for the Mortise and tenons.Figured that would take to much time and it would wear me out . But I did cut the joints by hand.

Note the stack of red wood in the back gound of the frist picture this is what was left of 15,000 bf that I got for .26 a board foot.  To good to be true the guy wanted it out of his yard lucky me [cool]

Really like the way you did that, Whitlock!  You can do a few of those for us  :) ;)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Whitlock

Are you kiding Sassy,You know Glenn dosen't like anything to be square [crz]

Whitlock

Quote from: Scott A on October 01, 2008, 04:26:22 PM
Very cool. You have a lot of patience to work the wood the old way.

That is so true and you know all the knots just have to line up were you have to chisel out a mortise ???

Lorangerlife

Huge amount of respect to anyone who works with wood this way  [cool]

Looking great so far and can't wait to see the progress  =)

~A~

glenn kangiser

Whitlock...

Do trees all grow square and plumb? hmm 

Guess I got you on that one. [crz]  d*

Ernest T. Bass

Wow, beautiful work! It's been too wet the past week to work on my cabin..  :(

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 01, 2008, 10:29:07 PM
Whitlock...

Do trees all grow square and plumb? hmm 

Guess I got you on that one. [crz]  d*

Well Glenn they may not all grow square But, some do :)and there are plumb trees.

[slap]

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

I can see this guy's gonna be trouble.....     [panic]

OldDog

If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

Whitlock

Well now that I have Glenn straightened out about trees we can get back to the cabin :)

I used lumber that I had salvaged from a old house in town to frame in between the timber frame this is the only place in the frame that I used nails insted of wooden pegs. It didn't give the stucture any more suport. It only helped in putting in the windows and doors.

I used a open mortise and tenon on the ridge conections of the rafters and then wooden peged them together and then to the top plate. No ridge beam at all (the way the oldtimers did it in about the 1700's) Then I added in the purlins half laping and peging them to the rafters.

glenn kangiser

That's real cute, Whitlock.  I hope you used square nails.  ::)

MountainDon

I admire your patience for that work, Whitlock. Mighty fine. You're going to drag this out (revealing the photos) as long as you can, aren't you.   ;D ;D  I can tell the finished product looks great.