20' x 14' sleep-out in NZ

Started by Ignavus, October 22, 2013, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignavus

Hi all,
I've been reading these forums for over 10 years, and have finally managed to get started on my own building. We're building a sleep-out near the beach in the south island of New Zealand -
It's been a real learning curve - I've read quite a bit, but never built anything even remotely like this, so everything is quite new.
If anyone is interested, I put the plans online -http://ignavus.net/okains/files/okains_plans.pdf. I eventually intend to update that site with a blog/gallery, but I haven't quite got around to it yet.

Here is a photo of the current state.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend and put the roof and building paper on, then the plywood siding goes up in about 3 weeks.

In case you're wondering, the land is located here: https://maps.google.co.nz/?ll=-43.708038,173.047969&spn=0.001813,0.00265&t=m&z=19

Regards,
Andre

Pine Cone

Welcome! w*

Keeps those pictures and plans coming.  I like the Christchurch area but never got out to the peninsula where your cabin is.  Maybe next trip...

I lived in Rotorua for a year back in the early 1980s and visited C-church a few times.  I hope the quake didn't impact your life too much, but from the looks of the additional metal strapping braces required on your cabin walls it looks like NZ code is a bit different from ours, presumably for protection from the next quake...

It's always fun to push yourself with a build like this.  My big project this year is a 4x8 foot chicken coop, but you can see my cabin project from a few years back here... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8030.0

Looks like a nice plan.  I'd probably add a few more electrical outlets (too many devices to plug in, even on holiday).  Looks like you have about the minimum required.  Much easier to do now before the interior walls are finished.

Keep those pictures and updates coming!

Ignavus

I should have known better than to put a time line in my last post. I've only just got around to starting the plywood siding, and even then I've only done two of the sides.

But progress is being made. I'll refrain from guessing when it'll be finished, but I was happy with how quickly the plywood cladding went up. It's called shadowclad here, but I think it's roughly the same as the T1-11 siding that's used in the US.

Had a bit of grief getting the flashing over the windows all in place properly, but I think we got it sorted in the end. The first window was also pretty difficult to place - I hadn't anticipated how thick the window tape would be, so the window was a bit tighter than I'd planned, and the large double glazed pane was very heavy to lift.

Ignavus

We managed to get back out there and nearly get the place weather tight (still the gable ends to finish off, along with several bits of trim).

The main big effort was getting all of the windows and flashing installed - the double glazed aluminium french doors were extremely awkward. They weigh a huge amount, and due to the height of the building it's a bit difficult to stand underneath while they're being moved around. We got so close to finishing that we decided to put up the last couple of plywood sheets even once the light had essentially deserted us.

Hopefully we'll be out again some time in June to finish up the gable ends, and a few more bits. That will be a big achievement.

Ignavus

As another follow up, I've now managed to get most of the exterior done. Flashings are all installed, as are the barge boards and soffits.

There are still some minor bits of exterior trim to be done (guttering, some beads where the plywood sheets join at the soffit), but mostly I'll now be inside doing the wiring and insulation. It's at least at a state now that we can camp inside it, which is a vast improvement over the tents.

Everything has certainly taken longer than I'd first anticipated, especially whenever it's off the ground. Roofing and scaffolding are definitely time consuming.  d*

rick91351

I am glad to find out taking longer than anticipated is not just a thing here in the states.  I was a little concerned we had a corner on it.   ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.