Questions for putting in a well

Started by John_M, June 18, 2008, 12:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

So...we are geting ready to put in a well.  What concerns or questions should I have.  ???

The one company I called told me they would come out and assess the situation.  They charge $30 a foot for the well and then extra for the pressure tank, pump, etc.

He gave me an example of a 100 foot well to cost around $5000 when you figure the extra money for pressure tank, pump, extra shutoff designed for a weekend cabin to get closed down in winter.  They use Pex plumbing too, which is what I would like.

Does the price seem reasonable?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

glenn kangiser

The $30 may not be high now especially if it is a cased well - not a hole in hard rock.  I haven't done it for quite  a few years -I was $21 with casing and I was near high price in the area-- you may call for other pricing if there are choices of drillers in your area.

Extra for pump - tank etc is standard practice.

Around $2000 was avg for pump etc - maybe low for here.  $3000 for the well part if shallow could  be reasonable as there is a lot of setup and teardown time too.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

lockman

30/foot sounds high to me. I recently got quoted 13/foot if going through shale and 16/foot if going through rock. That was just for the drilling.

ETA: he quoted 250.00 for the casing

NM_Shooter

300 foot well in the Sandias recently quoted at $15k turnkey.  That was from multiple sources.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

In this area is was $10 foot to drill and an extra $10 foot for the casing.  I drilled 400 ft and the drilling was $4,000 and $360 for 36' of metal casing.  The pump I don't recall but off hand I don't think the remaining hardware was over $1,000 for 200 ft of line, wire, pump and pressure tank. I recently heard that the local driller is raising his price a couple dollars a foot to off set the cost of fuel.  Burns in the neighborhood of 120 gallons a day.

FrankInWI

This is great info..... I might upgrade from my shallow sand point well.  Keep sharing, would you guys?  Great info..... very helpful
god helps those who help them selves

ScottA

Around here you won't get the driller on site for less than $5000. That will usually cover the complete well system down to around 100'. Extra footage beyond 100' would be pretty cheap though maybe $15 foot. Got to watch them close cause they have a bad habit of over drilling and hitting sulpher water then you're screwed. A friend of mine had a well put in. They hit good water at 30' but kept drilling, at about 90' they hit sulpher and trashed his well. I'm sure this is a local condition here in NE Okla. It will be different in other areas.

davidj

In Plumas County (NE California) it's something like $42/ft for steel casing with simultaneous drilling (for soft stuff) and $32-ish for plastic casing (in harder rock).  This was as of September 2007.  The other stuff (pump, pressure tank, wire, water pipe etc) came to about $3K, although a fair bit of that was due to the depth of the well too (wire and water pipe is per ft too and on top of the cost of drilling).  The total ends up coming to a fair bit should your well end up being 480ft deep, as ours was!  (It still makes me visualize $100 bills disappearing into the ground just typing these numbers!)

I'd expect prices to have gone up recently as e.g. the PVC and copper have gone up a lot over the last year or two.  And guessing the depth is tough in some terrains - our nearest neighbor, maybe 200ft away and superficially in a similar place topologically, hit water at about 150ft and had a bill about $20K less than us!