Simpson Bracket for Beam ?

Started by peteh2833, November 24, 2007, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

I am building the 1.5 story 20x30  camp. I have the piers done. I will be setting the built up beams directly on the concrete pier. What bracket should I use to anchor them to the pier? The beams will be 3 2x10's with 1/2 inch plywood in between. Thanks Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

PEG688

A CB66 would be nice ,

Or another version that would work would be ,

I think it's obvious the CB is stronger.

So your planning on no post , meaning your piers will all be perfectly level to each other and poured at exactly the right height!  You sure about that?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

peteh2833

The piers are already poured so i can't use the CB  correct????
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

Quote from: peteh2833 on November 24, 2007, 07:04:32 PM
The piers are already poured so i can't use the CB  correct????
I was just going to ask that question. No, CB66's would be difficult to impossible now.

What are the piers; poured concrete in a form, concrete blocks, round, square...?? size?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Opps  [toilet] lets flush the CB66  rofl .

All ready poured humm , any photo's ? I'm sure there's a fix , so no bolt / rebar / nuttin sticking out of the pier top , just a concrete post? Rebar poured inside it  ???

MountainDon

Nice use of the new smileys, Paul   [cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Thanks Mtn D  ;D

peteh the second bracket I posted is epoxied in , or can be , it just happened the image I put up is shown epoxied into the pre poured pier / post / slab.

MountainDon

Is that EPB available in a 5 1/2" wide configuration?  hmm (Can't find my simpson catalog  d* )

MountainDon

I found the catalog and it appears that the EPB is only available as EPB44, for 4x4 posts.

Maybe an AB66 would work?  hmm Just need to drill the proper size hole and epoxy in an anchor bolt it uplift forces are a concern. It wouldn't offer much in the way of tipping resistance, but once the joists are secured that wouldn't matter as much.

Are you in a code compliance location?

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on November 24, 2007, 07:26:31 PM

Are you in a code compliance location?

Good point Mtn. D alway start in the beginning  d*

peteh2833

OK
Peg688, I poured 10" round tubes. I made 18"x18" and 6" deep footers about 40 inches down. I added to 2 pieces of rebar about 2 to 3 feet long going from the footer up into the tube. I didn't put the brackets in when it was wet because I wanted to make sure everything was square. Would the bracket work best or epoxy a piece of all thread into each pier and then up into each built up beam? I have pictures but they are home on my computer and I'm at work now. I can post later. Thanks Pete

Also no code compliance. No inspection.
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

My Uncle helped and is an experienced carpenter. I'm building this camp right next to a smaller camp that is already there and will eventually be attached by way of a breezeway. We used a water level to mark each tube after they were set. We then cut each tube down to the mark and poured them. They should be all level. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

Quote from: peteh2833 on November 24, 2007, 07:39:03 PM
I did put the brackets in when it was wet because I wanted to make sure everything was square.
I'm not following that statement? Should that read "did not put" ?

peteh2833

Sorry I fixed it. It should have been didn't.
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

PEG688

That's what I was trying to figger out as well Don ???

I assume did NOT was intended.

Well with no code to meet and what you've described is a solid post and pier setup , I'd epoxy into the pier a piece of Galv. threaded 5/8 rod into the concrete at least 8 " that sticks up at least 1" above the beam tops ( if it's to long you can cut it off , the projecting rod , later with a sawsall) then you could use a piece of steel bar stock 1/4 thick and as wide as you built up beam , so a 1/4"x 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" steel washer at each post to beam connection .    

peteh2833

Thanks for the compliments on the solid base. I was wondering if it was good enough!!!
I understand the part about the all thread. drill into the pier and then drill through the beam. The 1/4 steel stock is the hangup. Do u mean make a square washer as wide as the beam out of the 1/4 stock and then put that on top of the all thread and tighten it down with a nut?
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

PEG688

Quote from: peteh2833 on November 24, 2007, 08:08:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the solid base. I was wondering if it was good enough!!!
I understand the part about the all thread. drill into the pier and then drill through the beam. The 1/4 steel stock is the hangup. Do u mean make a square washer as wide as the beam out of the 1/4 stock and then put that on top of the all thread and tighten it down with a nut?

YUP! That will hold"er" down and stop it from tipping over. I'm no engineer but you don't need one if you have no code to meet . Ask your uncle what his plan was , he may have a better idea , but I'm sure that threaded rod and washer / nut setup will meet and /or exceed your needs for a positive tie. 

peteh2833

I'm pretty sure that is what he had planned. He won't always be there to assist me so I figured I should get a start on it. Thanks Peg688 for all the help. You too Mountain Don
What do you recommend putting between the beam and the concrete as a barrier? Also do you think I should use pressure treated for the beam and joists???
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

PEG688

Quote from: peteh2833 on November 24, 2007, 08:55:26 PM

#1: What do you recommend putting between the beam and the concrete as a barrier?

#2: Also do you think I should use pressure treated for the beam and joists???

#1: 30 lbs felt or a piece of comp shingle.

#2: Not needed if it's all under the cabin , no cantilevered deck joist or other "uncovered " porch ares are there?  If that answer is no the PT lumber is not needed.

You are up in the air /off the ground  at least  6 " minimum  right? 

peteh2833

No cantilevered areas or uncovered areas. It is up off of the ground by at least 6". Thanks for the help. My next problem to tackle is how to insulate the floor joists?
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

PEG688

Quote from: peteh2833 on November 24, 2007, 10:21:18 PM

My next problem to tackle is how to insulate the floor joists?

Small child / wife , cookies on other end as payment if small child . If it's a wife your on your own as to how to intice / pay back for the crawl work 

Promise to :  [bbq] for life ?

Never  [burp]  again !

Or   [oops]  again !

Anyway good luck in your quest  [rofl2]

glenn kangiser

Crimoney, PEG. [scared]

You're having too much fun. rofl
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

PEG688

Yes indeedie  [sunny]  Opps  [burp]

glenn kangiser

I hope I don't get in trouble for this. [panic]

John did ask me in a PM if I saw what we could do with smilies. hmm

I took that to mean he wanted more. [innocent]

I kinda got into a batch of good quality smilies and couldn't stop. [sad1]

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.