Anyone Smoked Cheese?

Started by astidham, October 17, 2012, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

I will try my hand at Smoking cheese this weekend, and was wondering if anyone has any tips, advise?
I have an offset smoker, and since pecan is so abundant, I will be using it.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

I volunteer to sample it and determine if you did it correctly. ;)

astidham

— Henry Ford

MountainDon

I tried it once a long time ago. It clogged the bong. I don't recall if it was offset, but I upset when I had to clean the sticky goo out. Hope you have better luck.

;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MushCreek

It's really tricky keeping the temperature low enough, especially in hot weather. I use a soldering pencil in a tin can of wood chips. You can set the whole thing up in a cardboard box to make a cheapo smoker. Cheese doesn't need much smoke. The key is to wrap the cheese in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a week to let the smoke flavor set.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

astidham

Quote from: MountainDon on October 17, 2012, 11:44:04 PM
I tried it once a long time ago. It clogged the bong. I don't recall if it was offset, but I upset when I had to clean the sticky goo out. Hope you have better luck.

;D
my hope is dashed....lmao
— Henry Ford

astidham

Quote from: MushCreek on October 18, 2012, 06:08:48 AM
It's really tricky keeping the temperature low enough, especially in hot weather. I use a soldering pencil in a tin can of wood chips. You can set the whole thing up in a cardboard box to make a cheapo smoker. Cheese doesn't need much smoke. The key is to wrap the cheese in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a week to let the smoke flavor set.
Thanks for the info!
I will try to keep it below 90 degrees
— Henry Ford