Edge Gold Subfloor issue

Started by LatinForLiar, September 20, 2017, 08:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LatinForLiar

I decided to use EdgeGold 3/4" tongue and groove panels as subflooring. I went to start laying them today, and realized that they are not 48" wide. Instead, they are all measuring 47 3/4" including the tongue. Is this typical? my shed is 10' wide, so obviously I was hoping to split the last panel down the middle, but this requires that they be 48".

MountainDon

That is typical of all T&G subflooring panels. The easiest way to handle that is not possible now. That would have been making the building just a little narrower. That is the reason our cabin is about 15 feet 9-3/4 inches wide rather than the full 16 feet.  Now the best way to handle this is going to involve some waste. I have found that sooner or later many of the cutoff "waste" pieces do get used someplace,somehow.

Some folks will cut a narrow strip for one side edge. The problem there is that the wall sits on a narrow piece that does not really hold the wall to the floor framing very well. The sub floor panels, when nailed to the rims and then to the floor joists makes a rigid floor diaphragm. When the section under the wall is too narrow that weakens the structure. A strip running across joists at the wall edge should be 24" wide, no narrower. So if you start with a full panel width down the first side, you will end up ripping the last panel and ending up with the last panel across being a little more than 24". You're left with a less than 24" wide panel. Maybe that gets used for a shelf or a part floor board in a loft (for storage), or who knows what.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

LatinForLiar

Interesting (and frustrating). Is there a reason they make them this way?

Don_P

The panels come out of the same square edge machinery and then have the T&G cut which reduces the size. The takeaway is really to assume nothing, measure everything when planning. I'm pretty sure the APA minimum ripped piece is 16" wide and at ends bear across at least 3 joists.

MountainDon

Yes, I am pretty sure Don_P is right on the min panel wodyh of 16"  Maybe you can play with the numbers and save a sheet. 

Also be aware the T&G is made so the panels don't appear to come together completely. That is there is a gap between the panel surfaces when the T&G is properly assembles. Don't  force them together to show no gap.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

LatinForLiar

Thanks guys. I guess this will just cost me an extra panel.

FWIW, in their installation video, they say to mark a chalk line 4 feet in (at 1:28).

I guess it should say 47 1/2" in.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YRedAftm8  )

zion-diy

Just a FYI, the last load of plain old OSB I received, no longer measures 48" wide.  >:( They have shaved off nearly a 1/4"... just more of the incredible shrinking products coming your way. 
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}