Jeromesville Ohio, 50x30

Started by w1ck3tt, September 26, 2016, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w1ck3tt

added a light over the stairs - will serve as a nightlight for the most part

Its a stained glass light we picked up from a habitat store a while back.

My 50x30 universal build project:
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=14475.0

dablack

Not sure how I missed this thread!  Everything looks great.  I went with a 26x52 two story. 

You mentioned that it was crazy hot up in the attic.  I would be worried that in the winter moisture would condense on that plastic I can see under the roof deck.  If it were mine, I would have not had insulation in the narrow ceiling but carry the sloped insulation all the way to the peak.  Then the attic area would be semi-conditioned. 

Also, I really like all the stained glass.  Looks great. 

Austin

w1ck3tt

Thanks!  Have a link to your post?

Hmmm....That might have been what I should have done!  I suppose I can put more insulation in the attic if need be.  There shouldn't be any heat up there this winter since the ceiling is insulated.  Its only hot up there on really hot days.  Yesterday it was maybe 70 and the attic was not bad at all (not like the day when it was causing the ceiling vents to drip from the A/C running!)  I will keep an eye on it this winter for sure and make sure its not condensating as well.

Quote from: dablack on September 11, 2017, 11:01:11 AM
Not sure how I missed this thread!  Everything looks great.  I went with a 26x52 two story. 

You mentioned that it was crazy hot up in the attic.  I would be worried that in the winter moisture would condense on that plastic I can see under the roof deck.  If it were mine, I would have not had insulation in the narrow ceiling but carry the sloped insulation all the way to the peak.  Then the attic area would be semi-conditioned. 

Also, I really like all the stained glass.  Looks great. 

Austin

dablack

Here you go.  I need to update it but the picture posting stuff is going to take me a while to fix!

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=13648.0

w1ck3tt

Weekend update!

Was really hoping to get more than this done, but wasn't even able to finish this!  The slope of this roof is just enough, I couldn't get ontop to put the flashing and ridgecap on.  Looking for a way to get that done that is safe!

Anyhow, front porch, almost complete (missing flashing/ridgecap/endcaps/soffit/fascia/siding (same stuff we used on the gable ends)/railing/stain and security light/s)

We used Galvanized steel instead of the charcoal we used on the roof, to add some country charm to the house.  Can't wait for the siding to get done! (sometime in November if the weather holds out at this point?...)

w1ck3tt

Quote from: dablack on September 11, 2017, 11:36:26 AM
Here you go.  I need to update it but the picture posting stuff is going to take me a while to fix!

Ah yes, picture posting...what a pain that was for me to get started.  Found a way to use my google album that made it fairly easy!

w1ck3tt

Quote from: dablack on September 11, 2017, 11:36:26 AM

Ah yes, I remember yours, I love the wood floors you did - Beautiful build!  Its funny, I designed and planned everything about mine - but then when I look at other builds, I keep wanting to go back and redo parts of mine! 

dablack

We are all like that.  You design design design and then build.  Right after you finish something, you see something that you wish you could have incorporated. 
My wife was never really sure on the kitchen design until I laid it out in blue tape on the floor at full size.  She could then walk it and really see how big it would be.  Then her input to me was much better.  Should could SHOW me where she wanted stuff and then I could put it into the plan. 
The one thing I wish I could have figured out is a master bedroom and bath on the first floor.  We might add on later to get that. 

w1ck3tt

Yeh, exactly what I did for my wife ;)  She kept saying she couldn't picture it so I laid it out for her.

w1ck3tt

Updates!  Getting closer...and closer....  We expect to be moving in within the month.

Saved this cabinet from our North Carolina house when we sold it - has frosted glass and we added some adjustable lights - great for 'night light' and bathroom item storage

Can't resist sharing these photos - I've never seen anything like this before:

Drywall FINALLY completed (Save for the working bathroom upstairs, we will finish that when we have a working bathroom downstairs!) and kitchen/pantry/hall are painted!

We are leaving the kitchen area ceiling open for this winter, just in case I find theres some wiring we need to add or whatever (and i don't think I have enough pine to finish it now and being a bit broke doesn't help that).

Whats left:
1. tile in master bath
2. add toilet and complete shower walls
3. Ceiling in master closet and pantry
4. Trim work in large open area (great room)
5. Fireplace area (base for the fp to sit on)
6. flooring down and upstairs
7. drywall/flooring in upstairs bathroom
8. MOVE IN!
9. mow down the weeks if I can get the 9n running again (think the points are what is wrong...)
10. Turkey?
11. Loft/Stair railing (custom building this I think ).
12. Siding after we move in, maybe this year, more likely next year though.
13. Heat tape on water pipes under the house...JUST in case
14. put snow blower on the bolens tractor...JUST in case???
15. Who knows?

Oh...we need some doors...throw that in the list somewhere before flooring....

w1ck3tt

Weeds....they were taking over my driveway.  Being me, I had to find an 'affordable' way to deal with them.  Found a recipe online for a very affordable mixture that seems to have done the trick! (I will take pics tonight of the progress and post them here) Thought I'd share it if anyone is having this issue. 

Mix 1 gallon of vinegar with 1 cup of salt and 1+tablespoon of dish soap (the kind you use at the sink, not in the dishwasher) and apply on a sunny, preferably hot day.

They say its difficult to get the salt to dissolve completely, I had no issues - Used a drill with a paint mixing attachment for about 2 minutes.  We got a 15 gallon ATV mount sprayer, and not having an ATV, I set it in my garden tractor wagon and hooked it to the tractors battery.  We drove up one side, down the other, and back through the middle of the drive, and sprayed all around the barn area on Sunday.  By Monday evening, you could see the weeds were wilting, Tuesday, they were laying on the ground, Wednesday, they were crunchy feeling when you walk over them - now, they look just plain dead!  We're gonna go through and pull them out when we get the chance, but it seems to have done the trick.  They say that this will permanently kill them off, the salt permeates the soil and prevents anything from growing there again.  Being a driveway, I'm completely OK with that!  We used 26 gallons of vinegar, 26 cups of salt and about a complete bottle of dawn dish soap.  I need maybe another 10 gallons/cups more yet as we ran out before finishing, but all in all, we have less than $40 in the Project weeds be dead.

Hope this helps anyone fighting that battle as well!  I will post Pics tonight, but the will only be after pics, you should be able to imagine what it looked like before.

dablack

House looks great.  Please know that you will find more finish stuff to do that isn't on your list and once you move in, works slows way down.  Make sure you have ALL drywall work done before moving in. 

About your weed killing mix, please list what you ordered and from where.  When I was reading what all you used, I was thinking it was going to be way over $100!  I just use diesel in a sprayer but it doesn't last more than a couple of months. 

Austin 

w1ck3tt

Quote from: dablack on September 29, 2017, 07:41:19 AM
House looks great.  Please know that you will find more finish stuff to do that isn't on your list and once you move in, works slows way down.  Make sure you have ALL drywall work done before moving in. 

About your weed killing mix, please list what you ordered and from where.  When I was reading what all you used, I was thinking it was going to be way over $100!  I just use diesel in a sprayer but it doesn't last more than a couple of months. 

Austin 

Oh don't I know it!  Good news is drywall is done minus the small bathroom upstairs that is working at the moment.  We plan to do trim work (minus what we did last night in vaulted ceiling room, so we can take the scaffolding out and put the floors in) after the move, probly even next year.

As for the weed killer, it was pretty cheap.  Got the white vinegar from Mendards (local midwest 'home depot' like store, but in my opinion, much better) for $1.50 a gallon, and the salt was just regular morton salt you buy for your kitchen (can't be rock or any other kind they say) for what, $.80 a container I think?  and just any dish soap is fine.

We bought I beleive 26 gallons (all we could find, but still need I'm guessing another 10 gallons or so to finish the driveway:

Vinegar: $1.50x26=$39
Salt:  $.80x26=$20.80
Soap: we had several bottles from when we moved to Ohio, just used that, but I reckon about $3?

Total (and man was my guess way off on my previous post of under $40!) came around $65.  For it potentially being permanent, I feel that's a small price to pay!  I will keep you all updated on that next year, whether the weeds grow back or not.

Here are the results, I took pics last night:

I know it doesn't help that i've not weed eated since spring, AND my 9n is down, so can't run my sickle either right now....but we've been busting butt getting the house liveable, so hadn't really had the time anyhow.  I really wish I'd have taken before photos of the weeds!

w1ck3tt

By the way, I wanted to add some info as to why I have a weed problem in my driveway.  We took a lot of care and preperation to prevent the weeds in the driveway by placing a weed barrier down prior to gravel(12'x480' rolls of woven, moisture penetrable weed fabric, very thick stuff, 2 rolls at about $400 each!).  My mistake was ordering 'crusher run' gravel, which was recommended by the rock company as a medium that would pack together very nicely.  It did....but it had a TON of dirt in it.  If you pull up the weeds, and remove the gravel around those weeds, you'll see that no roots penetrated the fabric, its ALL on top of the fabric.  So, for anyone looking at driveway rock/gravel, I advise against crusher run (if in includes dirt that is, I hear some includes sand and that is what we should have got I think).  We used Crusher run in the barn, and its fine there (although very dusty :(  ):

Mike 870

I think you'll find once you've moved in and drive on it regularly the weeds arent as bad, and the ones that pop up can be handled with a 2 gallon sprayer and some round up (if you arent opposed to such a solution.  The crusher run is quite nice, because it does get really smooth and compacted.

w1ck3tt

Weekend Update!

Busy busy weekend!  We started putting up trim in the 'great room', so I can get the scaffolding out to finish the floors. Its just 1x6 pine, polyurethaned.  Plan for the future, on the slanted walls leading up to the white ceiling, is to put the t&g pine carsiding there inbetween the pine trim (like we are doing on our ceilings downstairs), and would really like to do it on that end wall as well, once the fireplace is in - hoping to have a 'rock wall' going up the center behind the chimney pipe, put the t&g on either side of that rock wall (when $ permits that is)

Also, picked up an appliance package off of craigslist for a really good deal, got the fridge cleaned, installed and making ice, and mounted the microwave.  Stove is being cleaned today and put in place, and dishwasher will be installed tonight.  To top that off, we got the flooring done in the kitchen and laundry area yesterday, hooked up the washer and dryer (again that we got a crazy deal on), and hung 2 of the downstairs doors that needed to be in go get the flooring down! (also, changed spark plugs and cleaned/recharged the K&N filter in my car this weekend as it was running awful, sputtering on acceleration and 'bucking' while crusing)

^My daughter posing on the new floor^

And, my dad's table saw decided to break (when turning it on, the torque from the motor seemed to cause the blade to drop into the saw, and pieces came flying out the bottom (c clips and washers and such)  Scared us pretty good!  So, I went and bought a new saw - I think we can repair the other, but not sure yet.  one of the c clips is so tiny, I can't believe it held it together all these years!

New saw has an extremely nice stand that allows you to fold the thing up and wheel it into a corner on its side taking up very little room!

More to come soon!

w1ck3tt

I quoted instead of 'modifying', not sure how to remove this reply?

w1ck3tt

Quote from: Mike 870 on September 30, 2017, 08:15:47 PM
I think you'll find once you've moved in and drive on it regularly the weeds arent as bad, and the ones that pop up can be handled with a 2 gallon sprayer and some round up (if you arent opposed to such a solution.  The crusher run is quite nice, because it does get really smooth and compacted.

I agree, the crusher run is pretty nice, just wish it wasn't dirt mixed with it!  2 cars daily pull in and pull out of the drive, but it hadn't seem to help the weeds much, especially down the center of the drive.  You could hear them rubbing on the bottom of my little car when I'd come and go.  we made it a point to drive off center so the wheels would run over the weeds on the edges/center, but these weeds seem kinda tough to kill off that way too!  Now the barn, we aren't down there much now, the weeds were over waist high when I sprayed them!  Now, they are laying on the ground dead ;)

I'm thinking of having more gravel brought in, but not crusher run, just regular drive way grave now that we have a solid base for it to sit on.  Going to wait until I can plow out up by the house a place for the cars to park though. 

Mike 870

For a short while, my local supplier switched from the normal grayish crushed limestone to a brownish product that looked a lot more like dirt.  They quickly switched back due to numerous complaints (mine being one of them). I would lodge a complaint and see if they will do anything for you.  The Brownish stuff was quite disappointing.  Otherwise the place is looking great.

w1ck3tt

Quote from: Mike 870 on October 02, 2017, 09:58:10 AM
For a short while, my local supplier switched from the normal grayish crushed limestone to a brownish product that looked a lot more like dirt.  They quickly switched back due to numerous complaints (mine being one of them). I would lodge a complaint and see if they will do anything for you.  The Brownish stuff was quite disappointing.  Otherwise the place is looking great.

Ours is definitely brown and sure looks/feels like dirt...and a lot of it!  When they brought it, there was more dirt than gravel in the mix, I asked them about it and they said it will compact over time, and it did.  The driveway is certainly solid as concrete now.  Not much can be done about this now though, since we have 600 feet of driveway counting the area around the barn - I don't feel like having all that removed and the limestone type added in (and I'm sure it will cost me a bunch to do).  I think I'm ok now anyhow, as the weeds are dead and dried and are now grinding into nothing as you walk/drive over them!  Hoping they don't come back next year. 

w1ck3tt

Got the remaining appliances installed and tested last night.  We now have a fully functional kitchen!

The cabinet lighting is not complete - its LED, and has colors that you can cycle through - I like the warm orange or yellow or whaterver color it is on the remote, feels like natural light.  My daughter loved the purple, so we left it set that way for the evening for her.  Anyhow, we got the appliance suite (fridge/dishwasher/OTS Microwave/stove) for $750, all items are like new, and man is that dishwasher quiet!

with canned LED lights off

with canned LED lights on

more of the purple cabinet lights

More to come, hopefully this evening.

dablack

I remember the first thing I had working in the house was the HVAC.  Having somewhere cool to be in the summer made finishing the bathrooms much easier and the wife didn't mind being there.  Once we had a bathroom, kitchen, and HVAC, we were ready to move in.  Of course that meant that there was lots of work being done while the house was being lived in so it slowed way down, but you can put up with a bunch when it is nice and cool inside when it is hot out. 

The kitchen looks great.  Sounds like you know what to get your little girl for Christmas.  Get her a good used poster bed and put those color change lights around the top.  She will love it. 

I also drive off center on our driveway to keep the weeds in the middle down!  HA!

Austin

w1ck3tt

Quote from: dablack on October 03, 2017, 07:59:26 AM
I remember the first thing I had working in the house was the HVAC.  Having somewhere cool to be in the summer made finishing the bathrooms much easier and the wife didn't mind being there.  Once we had a bathroom, kitchen, and HVAC, we were ready to move in.  Of course that meant that there was lots of work being done while the house was being lived in so it slowed way down, but you can put up with a bunch when it is nice and cool inside when it is hot out. 

The kitchen looks great.  Sounds like you know what to get your little girl for Christmas.  Get her a good used poster bed and put those color change lights around the top.  She will love it. 

I also drive off center on our driveway to keep the weeds in the middle down!  HA!

Austin

A/C and Furnace were done in April, so we've been working all summer in nice cool spaces!  Made everything just so much easier!  We plan to have everything done with the exception of trim work and kitchen ceilings when we move in - move in day is less than a month away now, so we are busting butt to get it done (if we don't move in by end of month, our quarterly home owners is like 3 times what it will be when we live there, so pushing mainly for that!)  !  Leaving kitchen ceilings open for now just in case we need to run more wiring for anything (Cat5e, electrical, maybe we'll decide on a spicket on the front of the house later on...  who knows!)

The only thing not working at this point is the master bathroom - I have to get the tile done and put the toilet in yet, and finish up the shower, and then we are good to go!  That should all be done in the next week or two.

w1ck3tt

Lots or progress from the weekend!  Just forgot to get pictures afterwards, so I took a few last night.

Bathroom vanity is complete (sorta - have to trim some drawers up to fit in without hitting the plumbing) and the plumbing was not fun!  But, it works, and that was the end goal:

Pantry is done, with the exception of trim and the door (floors and ceilings were added this weekend)

Closer view of the ceiling:

and the floor:

Upstairs bedroom closets are now painted (ran out of the lavendar paint my daughter picked, so we went with the teal we put in the kitchen) and floors are done - just needs trim and doors at this point here:

Vanity room (master bath has 2 rooms, the sinks are in their own area, and we are just calling it the vanity room) ceiling is complete:

And the vanity itself is now done.  Found a nice set of bathroom cabinets at a habitat store, had to 'hack them up' a bit to make them work, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Countertop was from another habitat store, got it about 3 years ago and its been in storage ever since, I think we gave $25 for it, was brand new still had plastic factory film on it!  Just so happens all the colors matched up pretty well!

Closeup of countertop:

Tonight, we are hoping to do the ceiling and floor in the master closet.  That will leave the master bedroom floors to finish, and the open room on the loft, and the area where the fireplace goes.  I also have to finish the finish work in the upstairs bath and complete both showers and the the tile in both bathrooms.  We are intending to be done and start moving in within 2 weeks.

More to come!

w1ck3tt

Ceiling and floor in master closet complete, just needs trim now (like all other completed areas!)

My wife setup some shelves for the pantry and is starting to organize that and the kitchen as well:

Moving right along!  Tonight, we start the open area of the lofts flooring, not sure we will finish it tonight, more likely tomorrow evening.