Pump jacks or scaffolding?

Started by C.Oden, December 30, 2013, 05:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Oden

Thoughts on pros and cons of each from you pros.  ;)
Seeing as I have no experience with either really I am totally open to any and all thoughts
I have abundance of both around me right now that are priced reasonable and since the build begins this spring I am thinking of buying now - cheaper - and selling when we are done with them.
The terrain is not necessarily level on 2 sides if that would make a difference in thought process.

Don_P

Pump jacks are easier to move around, better on uneven ground and easier to get hurt on. Scaffold is stronger, more stable, easier to erect and take down, the downside is getting it safely levelled on uneven ground. I have both and usually use scaffold.

C.Oden

Thanks Don --- is the main safety issue on the jacks the width of the planks and potential to take a dive or more than that?
I see close by a Werner setup - jacks, al. posts including 20" wide x 20' a.l planks for $550 used. Condition is said to be near new. The price certainly seems right vs scaffolding but safety big concern always too.
I can see where scaffolding on the sides of build will be issue due to slope...but imagine that can be resolved in some manner safely.

Again - thanks for the input and advise!

Don_P

I've not used the aluminum poles and they do help with my greatest concern, pole buckling or inadequate bracing. With wood poles I've seen some train wrecks.  That does leave the width of the planking, but I normally use the same planking on either for the majority of the run. Scaffolding does allow you to build a wide working deck if needed but I frequently don't. If someone is less comfortable at height scaffold does let you build a highway. Pump jacks allow you to tune your work height better and there is less in your way. They are normally attached to the building where scaffold is normally freestanding. Going outside spec, I've used pumpjacks to lift and install heavy floor and ridgebeams, but then with scaffold I've built towers and lifted heavy beams. If you need to work at height inside, scaffold shines there. I guess if I needed just one I'd lean towards scaffold but I worked with pump jacks only for years.

That didn't help much did it  ??? ;D

C.Oden

LOL - actually it really did!
I think I will get the jacks but also try to locate some scaffolding for the interior work which I would want/like to make it easier to get things done. It will cost me more on front end but heck - time is also money and we can sell whatever we decide to when done. I was somewhat thinking this in the beginning but then thought it a crazy thought - but thanks to your comments I sense it was not so far off at that
We still going back and forth on the 2 story and the 1 1/2 but we started clearing land for footprint about 3 weeks ago so the snail is slowly moving forward.
Thanks for input Don ! [cool]

rick91351

I bought a bunch of used scaffolding from a masonry contractor going out of business.  He tossed in a lot of other stuff.  Part of that was some standoffs that were more or less just bent thread-all that you could fasten to the building and reach around and grab the scaffold and hold it to the building.  He said he used them all the time doing those huge high end celebrity homes in Sun Valley that are just stupid high and hanging off of a side hill.  You still have to block and level of course but just an added safety feature. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

UperJoe

Used and then sell - way cheaper than renting. Just need to find it local and cheap :)