concrete block vs. poured concrete foundation

Started by cbc58, January 05, 2011, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

i'm trying to determine the "resale factor" of different foundation types for a small home.

in my neck of the woods, the difference between a concrete block foundation (with a poured floor) vs. a poured concrete foundation (with a poured floor) is about 5k - labor/material savings. 

from a resale standpoint - if you were buying a house - would it matter which is which?  would you deduct 5k from the value of a house... or look at it differently if it had a concrete block foundation vs. poured?   or does it just not matter that much?

MushCreek

Unless I REALLY liked the property, I wouldn't buy a house with a block foundation. A properly poured foundation is tighter and stronger.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

davidj

Not all block foundations are equal - a speed block wall filled with rebar and concrete is nearly as good as a poured equivalent.  Here in the Bay Area the engineering requirements for walls are as tough as anywhere but you'll often see smaller e.g. office or apartment buildings with long, high (>20') block walls.  Admittedly built with speed blocks, a lot of rebar and probably >8" wide.  The block section is often attached to poured walls for the more complicated or higher shear sections of the building.

MountainDon

From a resale standpoint building the same as what is the norm for the area may be best. It would be what the local folks would be used to.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Erin

I agree with Don.  Having lived in four states on the northern Great Plains, block foundations are common. Would poured increase value?  Maybe. 
But it's doubtful that block would decrease it. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1