Maine Mountainside 20 x 32 cabin

Started by MaineRhino, September 30, 2007, 07:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineRhino

Greetings from Maine!  This site has been a great source of inspiration for us! We finally started building our project this summer. My wife and I cleared the trees, dug for the piers (some are on ledge or exposed rocks), and built the entire 20 x 32 base ourselves.

The walls go up the first weekend in October if the weather will let us!

This is our view from the mountainside....

The site....

The base....

MaineRhino

Jared

Is this going to be a cabin or your primary residence? I've often wondered how many people here live full-time, with children, in the little houses they build.
Jared

MaineRhino

This will be our seasonal getaway for now.  The road leading up the mtn. is seasonal at best, although I do have various means of getting up there in the winter and mud season.

I plan on staying there most of November to hunt and trap in the area.

My wife and I would love to live in it year-round, but logistically it's impossible at this time. No kids to worry about, as my boy is in the Navy Seabees.

MaineRhino

Jimmy_Cason

It looks like you are off to a good start! Great job!

hobbiest

what part of Maine are you in?  Great view!

glenn-k

Welcome to the forum, MaineRhino.  Nice views.  Looking forward to watching your project progress.

MaineRhino

Thanks for the comments!

The camp is in the Western Mtns, with the view being Southeast.

MaineRhino

MaineRhino

We finally put up the walls and began the loft this weekend....
The first wall we sheathed and stood up.  The rest of the walls we sheathed only what we had to.  Getting too old to lift those heavy walls!!!

The end walls were much easier..
Our front window is 8' wide by 5' tall.  Should be interesting to carry up the mountain!!

Zoe spent most of the day trying to stay warm!

All in all, it was a beautiful weekend with much accomplished!

MaineRhino

jraabe

Fantastic view. Should be a great place. Looking good and solid.

MaineRhino

Last weekend we (almost) finished the walls, and reframed one window. Also, the temporary bracing came off of the posts, and the 2x6 PT was put in place of them.

The loft will be done next weekend.

BTW, the very first thing we did up there was to build an outhouse.  Modular style!
It was built in my garage, disassembled and hauled up the mountain for reassembly.

MaineRhino

phalynx

Hey, love the progress.  Question for you though.  Is it legal to have an outhouse where you are?  I would love to have an outhouse but everyplace I have ever looked in rural America says they are absolutely illegal to use.  Am I missing something or is it the "don't ask don't tell".

MountainDon

phalynx, you haven't looked in NM.  :)  Depending on where you are, want to locate an outhouse it is possible.  You will get turned down if you try to put one in even a rural mountain area if it's developed. Power availability is one big deciding point, closeness of neighbors another. But outhouses can be built in more undeveloped areas. Permit costs the same as for a septic. Easy to see it's just another tax.

That said I know of several newish and un-permitted outhouses in the area around here.  :) Nothing wrong with them especially when dealing with acreage sized plots.

MaineRhino, that's a good way to go. Time saver on site. Looks okay too.

MaineRhino

The land had passed a perc test before we bought it. Also, the outhouse has to be so far from a water source, house, etc.....  There are basic guidelines to follow, but it is legal to do so here in Maine.

I prefer the "Don't ask, don't tell" method myself!

Also, be sure to make it deep enough. I dug all the way to the bottom of the hole, and officially checked the depth by climbing in.

MaineRhino

phalynx

HA!!  you are really in the @#$%-house now...  

I wish I could have an outhouse.  That's a nice $ savings.

MountainDon

Quoteofficially checked the depth by climbing in.MaineRhino
Looks about right unless you're sawed off at the knees!   ;D

glenn-k

Testing has been done that shows that no pathogens get to 10 feet outside the pit-- probably get wiped out in the first couple feet just as in a leach field.

...but there is no money to be had if outhouses are allowed - unless they decide to allow them and charge for permits.

I kind of liked the pedestal style with no walls until the delivery guy showed up with a set of job plans one day. :-/

Preston

Looks great!  My wife grew up in Maine and has always wanted to go back; I've never been there but from your view I can understand why!

Sassy

quote by MaineRhino:
"Also, be sure to make it deep enough. I dug all the way to the bottom of the hole, and officially checked the depth by climbing in."

;D ;D ;D   -  your not the guy with the slicker...   :-? :o  

Crime Blotter: Alleged Outhouse 'Peeping Tom' Has Romantic Defense

You guys sure have been moving along - beautiful countryside, great progress.

As a child, we lived in Mass. & used to take our summer vacations in Maine.  I especially remember running along the rocky cliffs by the ocean, finding lots of sea creatures in the tidepools.  The water on the Atlantic side seemed to be much warmer than the Pacific side when I've swam here.  

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteLast weekend we (almost) finished the walls, and reframed one window. Also, the temporary bracing came off of the posts, and the 2x6 PT was put in place of them.

MaineRhino

[size=18]The foundation looks very strong!   Good Job![/size]

hobbiest

Smart guy.  It always is better to check the depth before you fill it.

Jimmy_Cason

[size=14]I wonder if he would go down there later to retrieve a wedding ring?[/size]

glenn-k

Reminds me of the guy in the two holer who dropped a quarter down there when he pulled up his pants.  He reached back and pulled out his billfold, took out a $20 bill and threw it in the hole.

The guy on the next hole over looked at him and said -- what'd you do that for?

He replied, "You didn't expect me to go in there after a quarter, did you?"

Preston

A lot better than this  :)

MaineRhino

We almost finished the roof today.  This is what we saw at the end of the day. Can't wait to get back tomorrow!

MaineRhino

MaineRhino

Lot's of progress this weekend. This is what 3 days with good friends can do!!!!

Next weekend it will be weather tight, but the roof is DONE!

MaineRhino