20 X 40 1.5 log cabin - our latest pictures

Started by chatycady, August 18, 2006, 09:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

I always liked the fireplace...
Back home we would always cut up pallets we drug off for free and old windfall fir and spruce off the crown land nearby just to burn in the outside fire burners we made...

Saturday nights sitting around the fire drinking lots of alcohol and having the fire going...

I don't care if I ever go to another dance club....Good beer and some decent company around the fire is all I would ever ask for... for a great saturday night

But yeah I love the woodstoves that have the windows too....

I really want a soapstone stove with the huge window in front...They are nasty expensive... I may have to figure out a way to make one or something...I think they are $5000 :o

BTW the benches look great....The whole cabin is awesome.. You are very lucky... Cabin living would be fantastic

Congrats!

chatycady

Thanks Ben and Sassy for your kind comments. I guess I don't consider myself lucky, but rather very fortunate. I think we all have dreams and although I can't afford a 2000 sq. foot log home in the mountains, I worked to get a small cabin at a small lake in the hills of Iowa.

As I get older I'm finding I want simplicity with little frills. And I love to see the labor of my own hands. I push paper all day at work and don't really have anything to show for it, but a paycheck. But that paycheck gives me the opportunity to make something that I can be proud of!

Websites like these are a true inspiration! And people who post their projects are even a greater inspiration!

chaty :) :)

glenn-k

Thanks for your posting also of one of Johns designs with your own special twist on it.  I didn't realize your log cabin was built from John's design when you first posted it.  Great job all around.

chatycady

I am still hard at it. The outside went up pretty fast last summer, finishing is slow go.. I'm working every weekend as much as possible, but it's just me now and once in awhile I get help from family. I took the day off today. It was so lovely outside I decided to work on getting some solid steps to the cabin. It's also practice for when I build the loft stairs.
More later.......

Chaty

chatycady

Some pictures - kitchen cupboards are in. Waitin to get the hot water heat in, then bathroom will go fast and maybe in a couple weeks we can start staying at the lake!!! ;D ;D

img][/img]

Cabinets are Hickory. Got the light off the internet at a good deal.

Sassy

Looks really pretty, chatycady!  You've done a wonderful job  :)  Bet you can't wait to get moved in!

chatycady

Thanks! The cabinets were made by a friend. I've been brushing on a lot of varnish. The ceiling was the worst. Anyone have a good method to get poly on a ceiling fast?

Start my vacation tomorrow at 4:30 p.m.!!!! ;)

glenn-k

The best I did on a similar project was with one of the little Wagner self contained electric power sprayer.  Not real messy - - no air to mess with - no rollers - no brushes.

Maybe not a real professional tool but it did pretty good.

chatycady

What do you mean by "no air to mess with"? I'm interested! :D

glenn-k

glenn-k

As I remember I think tarps and masking were in order but I did a ceiling and beams in a 14 x 14 room quite quickly about 20-25 years ago.

chatycady

Did you have to back brush it at all, or just spray and go? I have seen these little units, so may go out and buy one.

Thanks for the info.

glenn-k

The only brushing I did was to straighten out runs if I got it on too thick. So I'd say spray and go.

I noticed some of these said they were for outdoors.  The above model didn't specify as I remember.  

Seems I may have seen a ceiling attachment for these - an extension you could bend up - one said they used the can attachment when doing ceilings.

Per these reviews -- ones who could read and follow Wagner directions had a good time with it.  Ones who were incompetant and didn't follow directions hated it.  I had a good time with mine and it did a great job.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Model-Wide-Power-Painter/dp/customer-reviews/B00004TUCG.

Pala

I had no idea that canoes make such wonderful light fixtures.  :)

Thanx for the pix.  Looks great.

chuck.

chatycady

Thanks Chuck! I take that as a huge compliment after looking at your project!  Your's is amazing to me! :)

chatycady

I'VE GOT A STOOL!! Whoo Hoo. no longer using a bucket. ;D ;D ;D

glenn-k

chatycady

By the way I did buy a wagner sprayer! Thanks for all the good advise. :)

MountainDon

glenn-k

Have you used the Wagner yet and were you happy with it? :-?  I just found one I had -- it was ancient -- something like a model 200. :-/

chatycady

It's real Hickory, bought at the local Menards. Tried to get some from a lumber yard, but they said it would take 4 to 6 months to get in. Paid $.25 more a sq foot. Oh well.

Haven't tried the sprayer yet, but will this weekend. Got one with low over spray. More pictures to come.

jwv

Your cabin is looking beautiful, what a labor of love!

Your cabinets look familiar!  :)

So far I love the hickory, it sure doesn't ding as easily as pine or even oak.

Judy